PDA

View Full Version : Who here has made the drive out west?

Motorhead350
01-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I was thinking of crusing all of Route 66 this summer and take my time doing it. Like 2 weeks or so. Has anyone done it before?

Rider90
01-04-2007, 11:50 PM
You'll spend a lot of time getting off Rt. 66, and getting back on it. There are some large sections missing, and covered in grass along the way.

Motorhead350
01-04-2007, 11:55 PM
I don't care. I just wanna take a drive find something new, something old and just get outta the city. I'm really getting into vintage stuff and just doing new things so this fits what I wanna do.

Rider90
01-05-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't care. I just wanna take a drive find something new, something old and just get outta the city. I'm really getting into vintage stuff and just doing new things so this fits what I wanna do.
You'll have a good time, there are still some good sights along Route 66. You'll find yourself stopping every once in awhile too, to check out some old junk yards. Cars from the 50's and 60's lie there and all have a story to tell...

Motorhead350
01-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Thats exactly what I am looking for. If I could find a barn full of Sun Records that would be a real treat. I've heard stories about that and yes I know Sun Records was in Tennessee. :) Got a friend in AZ and another in L.A. so it would have a point to it. The only thing I don't know about is how much money to bring for gas, food, hotels and things I wanna buy. This could get quit expensive.

BK_GrandMarquis
01-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I drove across the country last summer but I took 80 most of the way.

It was pretty cool but I wasn't in my car though. :(

ParkRanger
01-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Thats exactly what I am looking for. If I could find a barn full of Sun Records that would be a real treat. I've heard stories about that and yes I know Sun Records was in Tennessee. :) Got a friend in AZ and another in L.A. so it would have a point to it. The only thing I don't know about is how much money to bring for gas, food, hotels and things I wanna buy. This could get quit expensive.

Gas = $500
Food = $300
Motels = Don't know :confused: Maybe $100 / night
Things Wanna Buy = $500
Beer Money = $100

Do it in the summer. Leave very early every AM (say 7 AM) just beautiful going westbound across New Mex & Arizona in the summer mornings. Stop around 2-3 PM because you'll be driving into the sun and it will be HOT! :bandit: Hit the old motels with the pools. Don't fall for the Indian jewelry and antlered rabbits :bs: Keep H2O in the trunk. Watch out for old hippies on acid. Will need driver window shade. Sunglasses. Don't pick up hitchhikers near prisons.
Check out the Painted Desert & Grand Canyon & Vegas.
Lastly, when you leave Amerillo - turn off the lights.

PR :burnout:

MM03MOK
01-05-2007, 03:42 PM
http://www.signswithanattitude.com/images_signs/xing_signs/jackalope.jpg

RCSignals
01-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Just remember, there really isn't a place called Radiator Springs.

Motorhead350
01-05-2007, 05:14 PM
:laugh:

Just remember, there really isn't a place called Radiator Springs.

Darn it! Oh well. I was hoping to find maybe one place that looked like the mountians in the movie. I'll admit the movie is an influnce to go, but isn't the soul reason. :D Oh yea we don't need to worry about the beer money.... unless it's root beer! mmmmmm

Bluerauder
01-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I was thinking of crusing all of Route 66 this summer and take my time doing it. Like 2 weeks or so. Has anyone done it before?
Here's a website that might be useful in your planning >>>> http://www.route66search.com/

It lists the hotels, restaurants, and points of interest in each of the states along the way. Many of the states also have a Route 66 Association that could also be of use in your planning. Enjoy your trip.

Paul T. Casey
01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I did the burnouts accross America tour a few years ago. Plan on spending $3000. Sounds like a lot, but that's just $200 a day for 15 days. Break that down to 40 to 50 a day for gas, 30 to 50 a day for meals, most Super 8 motels are in the 50 a night range (highly reccomend them, cheap, clean, and everywhere), and 50 a day for souviegners (sic), and sightseeing. I spent a little more, but it ranks as some of the best money I've evre spent. Stay off the interstates and see the real America. We tryied to average 300 miles a day. Some times (for example Yellowstone) didn't make much total miles at all. Some times (Nebraska for example) 300 is an easy number. Take youor laptop and keep us posted.

Motorhead350
01-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Yea that price sounds about right. This won't be until at least june, but I already found someone to go with me. if I could find another two it would be perfect. I'll take the Marauder, take pics and put on a nice little show for you guys!

mpearce
01-05-2007, 09:12 PM
When my wife and I drove to Oklahoma City this summer for training, we took I-44. RT66 basically follows I-44, and I-40. RT66 itself was actually just a few blocks north of where we lived in OKC. Also, when we took I-40 west from OKC through the Texas panhandle, and into Albuquerque, NM, RT66 basically followed us the whole way. You can get off it, and get back on it. I can't speak for RT66 west of ABQ. We didn't make it that far. ABQ stopped us dead in our tracks. Gorgeous.

-Mat

1stMerc
01-05-2007, 09:28 PM

I've often thought about doin it or The Great River Road. A pretty good chunk of either runs pretty close to me. Don't think i could do two weeks worth though.

DeadVic
01-08-2007, 08:32 PM
on the way home you could do this and truly go old school. I'm from Iowa and there are sections of this highway that, while two lane, should only be one lane. Going over the bridges when there is an oncoming car can be an adventure - it's so narrow it's like a game of chicken to see who will yield first. Lot's of real America to see here.

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~jlin/lincoln/

Motorhead350
01-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Cool seems interesting. Thank you.:cool:

2003_MM_FYRE49
01-09-2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.signswithanattitude.com/images_signs/xing_signs/jackalope.jpg

That brings back some memories Mary. When I was a kid my dad bought a "Jackalope" head that was mounted. He placed it on the back wall above his bar and put a plaque on it that said "Bagged in Ten Sleep Wyoming". I'll have to call my mom to see if she still has it. i haven't seen it in years.