PDA

View Full Version : Is your Marauder vin etched?

Bradley G
01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Is there a small number etched on the exterior glass? (usually at the bottom)
Some dealerships do this treatment and sell, hole in one theft insurance as an aftersale.

RCSignals
01-10-2007, 08:00 PM
It's just a rip off IMO, but NY supports it. I suppose if it's the VIN it's OK. Sometimes it's an Insurance policy number, which is useless unless you purchase the Insurance

bigjon
01-10-2007, 08:39 PM
my car has it, but i didn't pay for the service.

there are etchings all over the car.

RCSignals
01-10-2007, 08:53 PM
They do every piece of glass. As I understand, in NY if it's done there is a law that allows an insurance discount if it's the VIN

vegasmarauder
01-11-2007, 02:51 AM
That was an anti-theft feature that was added on the price at the dealer. It's just one more thing to negotiate off the sticker so you think you got a deal. Unless you pay to activate it, it's useless. You can record the number and if it gets stolen it is another way to tell where you parts end up at.....

MM2004
01-11-2007, 04:19 AM
This etching used to be offered in Jefferson County, KY by the Police Dept. as a free service. Not sure if it is still done, but your VIN would be etched in all pieces of glass in the car as a theft deterrent.

Insurance providers would recognize that as a small discount.

Just not sure about today. I receive a discount from my Insurance Co. for the theft system from the factory on my MM and Mountaineer.

Mike.

dwasson
01-11-2007, 09:53 AM
AAA Insurance in Michigan will do it for free. I wonder if the glass is weakened though.

ctrlraven
01-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah I always wondering about that. Mine was on it when I bought it.

Rear window bottom drivers side, also has 1-800-551-2314 underneth CVZ725 which isn't any part of my vin#.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/marauder/PHOT0039Medium.jpg

jgc61sr2002
01-11-2007, 01:38 PM
NYPD will vin etch your vehicle for free and give you documentation for your insurance company.:D

RCSignals
01-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah I always wondering about that. Mine was on it when I bought it.

Rear window bottom drivers side, also has 1-800-551-2314 underneth CVZ725 which isn't any part of my vin#.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/marauder/PHOT0039Medium.jpg

Unless you bought and keep that insurance policy from that company, the number and telephone number are useless.

They usually aren't large insurance companies either, or at least not he big main ones. One has to wonder how long they'll be around.

Cars these days already have the VIN on hundreds of parts from the factory, have to by law. I really don't think adding it to the glass is that much of a deterrent to a thief.

MM2004
01-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Replacing glass is added cost to parting out a car. Or stealing it and replacing said glass.

I would not want the 1+800 number on the glass. Nor have I seen that before.

Mike.

ShelbyMotorspts
01-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Replacing glass is added cost to parting out a car. Or stealing it and replacing said glass.

Mike.

Same here, have never seen an 800 phone number etched in like that.

If I was purchasing a new car and saw the dealer doing this I would walk right off his lot.

These are the same dealerships that "claim" to have applied paint sealer & fabric protection. When you balk that you don't want it and wont pay for it they say but it's already been applied we can't just take it off. :mad2:

Steve

RCSignals
01-11-2007, 08:37 PM

Mike.

the 800 number thing is quite common actually. It's an "insurance" thing supposedly, and the other number is just an Insurance Policy number.. Companies supply dealers with all the etching materials free. It only costs the dealer 15 mins labour to apply. They make a small fee with every "insurance policy" they sell. Most dealers don't care that much if the policy isn't purchased, but they push it.
The Portland OR area dealers almost all do it.
To me it defaces the car, and for a potential collector or specialty car, devalues it.

For a car that becomes collectible 15 or 20 years down the road, such etching on the car will be a big negative

stryker
01-12-2007, 10:29 PM
:confused: Don't know Mang.

:wreath: STRYKER :wreath2:

DEFYANT
01-12-2007, 10:38 PM
As an LEO, I think it is a great idea. There are not alot of cars with this feature. It will make your car stand out more to LEOs than others. If the car is stolen, etched glass is less parts the bad guy can uses. And when I think like the bad guy, I would wonder what else this guy did to protect the car. I'd probably move on to another car.

I do not think this weakens the glass. Senecas Marauder has a phone number etched on the glass also.

RCSignals
01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't think it weakens the glass either.

an etch of the VIN seems OK, the other is not Unlike the electronic anti-theft 'keys' some dealers intsalled as an 'extra' a few years back. next to useless.