PDA

View Full Version : 2 Fast 2 Furious

Reaper948
06-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Bullcocky movie...The Evo and the Eclipse ran all over the Viper, Saleen S281E, A Z06, an old school camaro SS(?) and another old school muscle car in a highway scene.....

WHAT?!?!?!!

BOOOOO HOLLYWOOD

Geo
06-12-2003, 01:08 AM
I'd hate to see what would happen if one did the same mods to a Viper, a Camaro, a Z06 and Saleens.

Hollywood always distorts reality. I don't like imports myself. I don't know why anyone would prefer a nitrous powered red wagon because the fuel economy of those cars shown in the movie would be just as bad as a V8 machine with balanced manners.

Anyway, I halt here with my thoughts.

martyo
06-12-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Geo
Hollywood always distorts reality

No! Really??? C'mon.....

MAD-3R
06-12-2003, 06:24 AM
What we need is a remake of "Two-Lane Blacktop", useing an Impala SS and a Marauder.

That would rock.

EasyRhino
06-12-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
What we need is a remake of "Two-Lane Blacktop", useing an Impala SS and a Marauder.

That would rock.

I like.

Instead of the now deceased Warren Oates as the psycho driver, I nominate Chris Walken. That guy creeps me out, but I can't look away.

And for the driver of the MM, how about a 1970s-era Clint Eastwood. Well, do you feel lucky, punk?

MAD-3R
06-12-2003, 06:48 AM
I like the Chris Walken idea.
As for the The Driver and The Mechanic, I think some almost off the street 20 somethings that have almost no name.

jrzygrl
06-12-2003, 07:14 AM
I watched the trailer for that movie on AOL and thought it rocked....just because it is what it is..... fast cars and lots of noise!!!!

Long Live #3
06-12-2003, 07:28 AM
That poor Cobra R. :bigcry:

MAD-3R
06-12-2003, 07:30 AM
Was a Salleen (s) Not a Cobra R

Reaper948
06-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Saleen.......Apparently the Saleen has no handling ability so it tried to squeeze between two semis and then lost cnotrol eventually crashing into both trucks, then goin under one of them, then the corvette runs into the saleens remains........Silly...

LincMercLover
06-12-2003, 08:51 AM
I was wondering when someone was gunna bring this up... I saw it the day after opening.

I suppose the story line was good, but the firsts was better. Of course, car choice sucked!

The other "old school" muscle car you talk of was a Dodge Challenger I believe. The Camaro was a Yenko (hopefully a repro...).

As for the ricer stunts, I was saying :bs: pretty much every other scene... THAT'S how unreal this movie is... But then again, the average viewer of this movie is 20 something, driving a Civic, and went out and tried some of that stupid **** on the way home. I'd PAY to see someone try to flip their car around while doing 90 on the highway and do approximately 75-80 in reverse! :shake:

Anyway, I'm not gunna give it all away to you all, but I will say this, if you saw #1, it's up to you to see #2, but REALLY think about it before you do. If you haven't seen #1, then wait till #2 comes out on DVD and make it a Blockbuster night. :up:

I give this movie one thumb :down:

SergntMac
06-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Anyone remember Vanishing Point?

That's what I'm going to do when I retire, be a Sandy...Live in a garage full of muscle cars...

Long Live #3
06-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
Was a Salleen (s) Not a Cobra R

I guess I really don't know my cars very well :D

Matt Johnson
06-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Nothing like the sight of a '70 Dodge Challenger R/T driving into a bulldozer blade to make you feel all warm and fuzzy...

SSparky
06-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by SergntMac

You just made me feel old, very old. :(

Paul

LCpl Retired
06-12-2003, 12:52 PM
the ending of "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry" was nice too....but that was a Charger and a train, if memory serves me.....

Constable
06-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Was Vanishing Poin tha one with the white Challenger?? Supposedly (as the storyline went) had a turbo or supercharger on it? It was on SpeedVision just before it turned into Speed Channel. "The Lost Drivein"....

And now that we're talking about movies... BULLIT!!!! I can watch that chase scene 10 times in a row and not get tired of it. My parents start yelling cause all they can hear are glasspacks rumbling through the house at 2am!

Geo
06-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Being that I am almost ready to put together my first film (I have waiting since 1998 to get everything right), it would be nice to make a car movie but it has to be right or it can be a money loser at the box office.

Marauders and Impalas need to be put on film. I've only an Impala SS used on one movie and that was "All About the Benjamins" and I am still wondering if that was a real Impala SS because I remember something strange about the interior.

I've only ever seen an Impala SS one other time and that was on the 2nd reunion movie of Dallas. It was a scene where Larry Hagman was sitting in the passenger seat being driven by his bought-and-paid for cop-friend. It was a 1994 stock SS.

GEO

jrzygrl
06-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac

That's what I'm going to do when I retire, be a Sandy...Live in a garage full of muscle cars... HERE, HERE, I'm with you on that one Sarge...........

SouLRioT
06-12-2003, 01:54 PM
ok, well i'm only 23 so I dont know any of the movies you guys are talking about. But in FF2, I do know that they give props to the American Muscle car, knowing that they cant beat some guys in a race. They need to do tricks to win it.

EasyRhino
06-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SouLRioT
ok, well i'm only 23 so I dont know any of the movies you guys are talking about. But in FF2, I do know that they give props to the American Muscle car, knowing that they cant beat some guys in a race. They need to do tricks to win it.

Interesting perspective there.

I see what you are saying, but do they send the message that the small FWDs are superior to RWD muscle/pony cars? Just curious, it's not my kind of movie, so I'll have to take your word for it.

EasyRhino
06-12-2003, 03:04 PM
SoulRioT,

Another question for you.

Maybe this has been answered before but you do not seem like the MM demographic. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool. Could you enlighten me on what made up your mind to go MM, how you are enjoying it, and how does you peer group respond to it?

It just got me very curious to see that a 23 year old guy is a MM guy.

Constable
06-12-2003, 03:28 PM
well, heck... I just turned 22 a few weeks ago. I guess I'm lumped in that youthful category as well!

EasyRhino
06-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Constable
well, heck... I just turned 22 a few weeks ago. I guess I'm lumped in that youthful category as well!

Cool,

then I would like to ask the same questions of you, if you don't mind.

RCSignals
06-12-2003, 03:40 PM
EasyRhino
Basically, Ford was way off in their demographic. There are more buyers in the 18 to 40 range than they thought.
If they'd have offered a special rate lease plan on the Marauder, as they did with a couple of other ford products, there would be a lot more younger owners of Marauders

Constable
06-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Well, my father and brother are car-guys, so i had a hot rod mag in my hands at an early age. I like the utility of being able to load up the trunk with stuff and be able to fit 4-5 adults in the car. I was actually looking for a low-mileage 98 Cobra when I made an impulse decision and bought the MM... it's more practical, but with all the muscle. Right now, it's at the dealer getting all the little things taken care or looked at (sub rattle, harness scrapes, etc...). I love it.

As for my peer group?? here's alist of friends rides: 67 Chevelle vert (11.2 et), 67 Nova SS (9 sec street car for sale), 88 Stang (10.88 et), 60-something Rambler (tuff little car), 00 Trans AM WS6, 96 Impala SS, 69 Mach 1 (428 CJ, 4 speed, for sale), 87 T-type (425hp), 87 Gran National (loaded, stock, 50K miles, for sale), 01 Stang GT vert. Needless to say, they love the MM.

If the MM deal fell through, I would have bought my friends GN. It's immaculate and COMPLETELY original (but with all the kinks smoothed out).

EasyRhino
06-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Constable
As for my peer group?? here's alist of friends rides: 67 Chevelle vert (11.2 et), 67 Nova SS (9 sec street car for sale), 88 Stang (10.88 et), 60-something Rambler (tuff little car), 00 Trans AM WS6, 96 Impala SS, 69 Mach 1 (428 CJ, 4 speed, for sale), 87 T-type (425hp), 87 Gran National (loaded, stock, 50K miles, for sale), 01 Stang GT vert. Needless to say, they love the MM.

Dayum, Ryan. You and your buddies keep nice cars.

Constable
06-12-2003, 03:49 PM
it's a personality type i suppose... I get along better with people who take pride in their rides. There's plenty of foreign cars that I admire (WRX, Lancer EVO, Supra TT's, 3000GT VR4's, 300ZX TT's, RX7 turbos, etc... even the Integra type R is a hot little rocket). I just like the semi-sleeper look. NO RICE.

Billatpro
06-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Mac is startin scare me! and jrzygrl too for that matter. I of course remember all those movies, one scene in vanishing point in particular, something about a girl on a slow moving motorcycle! with nice grips! ok I'll stop.

merc406
06-12-2003, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Constable
[B]Was Vanishing Poin tha one with the white Challenger?? Supposedly (as the storyline went) had a turbo or supercharger on it? It was on SpeedVision just before it turned into Speed Channel. "The Lost Drivein"....

It was a white Hemi Challenger, and I cry every time I see that last scene into the dozer.

Reaper948
06-12-2003, 05:56 PM
I see what you are saying, but do they send the message that the small FWDs are superior to RWD muscle/pony cars? Just curious, it's not my kind of movie, so I'll have to take your word for it. [/B]

Well the Evo 8 (only known as the Evo here) is a very nice car. It's all-wheel drive, turbocharged 4 liter that puts out 271 horsepower. The best 0-60 time it had was 4.8 seconds. Hitting a quarter in 13.4. That was the lime green/ metallic yellow car?

The Eclipse spyder was a total mess. It was just a POS with an expensive paintjob. Those rims you see on the car were hefty 20's. There was no way that car could have done anything, it's actually a really slow car. Just a show car. THe Evo is not.

SouLRioT
06-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by EasyRhino
I see what you are saying, but do they send the message that the small FWDs are superior to RWD muscle/pony cars?

I didnt feel like that was the message sent out, just that you can do flashier stuff to their imports.

Originally posted by EasyRhino
Maybe this has been answered before but you do not seem like the MM demographic. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool. Could you enlighten me on what made up your mind to go MM, how you are enjoying it, and how does you peer group respond to it?

It just got me very curious to see that a 23 year old guy is a MM guy.

My feeling are like most here, just not anything close to it on the market. I was into the idea of the SS when it came out and this was my chance to get a car like it. One of my friends said it best, "This is a Bill car, couldn't see you driving anything else."

Reaper948
06-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Im 18 MAN

the fat bastid
06-12-2003, 06:26 PM
i'm 22 here. i bought my mm because it reminded me of the 70s muscle. i always wanted a classic muscle car but i have no garage so it would just rust into oblivion.

big? v8? rwd? and luxury? i'm there. i also liked having a car off the beaten path and its sleeper image.

my friends drive a 98 ws-6, a 02 ws-6, a 00 ss, and a 96 stealth.

they hate it. but its my car.

BlackHole
06-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Reaper948
Well the Evo 8 (only known as the Evo here) is a very nice car. It's all-wheel drive, turbocharged 4 liter that puts out 271 horsepower. The best 0-60 time it had was 4.8 seconds. Hitting a quarter in 13.4. That was the lime green/ metallic yellow car?

The Eclipse spyder was a total mess. It was just a POS with an expensive paintjob. Those rims you see on the car were hefty 20's. There was no way that car could have done anything, it's actually a really slow car. Just a show car. THe Evo is not.

Where did you get your info the Engine is a 2.0 Liter And the green Evo VII in the film Sport Compact Car got a best of 15.1
and it had the Turbo to and the Brown Supra did a 14.1 or somewhere around there the best was the Yenko 69 clone 13.7 pretty pathitic when a 35 Year old car owns modern tech.

P.S. I am not flaming but making some corrections but you are right about the EVO VIII times just that the Movie car was real slow and I have no idea as why:help:

CRUZTAKER
06-12-2003, 08:15 PM
I read the articles regarding the EVO and the WRX, and although the WRX was more powerfull, the EVO out performed it in a true rally type situation.

These cars differin so many ways than the RWD V-8', that there is no comparison, (not just that they are sub-compacts),

BUT! If I find myself (which occationally happens) in Aruba, Cozumel, or for that fact, anywhere that has some trecherous roadways....I want the WRX. 300 hp in a 2200 lb. car...that works. Rental only of course....Don't want to get attached or anything :)

Reaper948
06-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by BlackHole
Where did you get your info the Engine is a 2.0 Liter And the green Evo VII in the film Sport Compact Car got a best of 15.1
and it had the Turbo to and the Brown Supra did a 14.1 or somewhere around there the best was the Yenko 69 clone 13.7 pretty pathitic when a 35 Year old car owns modern tech.

P.S. I am not flaming but making some corrections but you are right about the EVO VIII times just that the Movie car was real slow and I have no idea as why:help:

Oh I didnt know the movie car and the real car were two different cars....thought it was a real evo, my bad

Nah the real evo is a 2 liter monster.....as for everything else with the crappy movie cars.....I dont know, but i did see them at teh new york international auto show, NO NITROUS of course.....

I think i heard something about teh 2F2F cars being really crappy. But how could the Evo be so much worse than the real deal...

SaxGuy
06-12-2003, 08:24 PM
The Evo in the movie was a real Lancer Evoultion, just not the new Evo VIII that recently came out. As for the Evo VII being slow, not the one I saw running at Byron Illinois! This car was consistantly running 10 second 1/4 miles. The thing with the EVO line is that it doesnt take much to make it a rocket, but IMHO its not to good looking. A huge carbon Fiber wing on a 4 door subcompact just doenst do it for me. Great Rally Car though...

SaxGuy
06-12-2003, 08:34 PM
As for the movie cars, there was an article stating that these were beat to hell cars that were made to look real nice, but as stated previously were not 2 fast or 2 furious.

Reaper948
06-12-2003, 08:51 PM
THey had a 7 in the US?!?!!

well the Evo is only known as the Lancer Evolution here....The numbers come in only when youre talking about European or Asian type cars, beacuse the Evo here is teh first one ever to be produced in the U.S. Although what's missing from the Evo's of EUrope and Asia are the technology that makes them so unique. The Active Yaw control, not present in the Evo's here.

No Evo has ever been slow. The only Evo I'm in love with....is the Evo 5 Tommy Makinen Edition....

Geo
06-13-2003, 11:03 PM
I was 23 when I bought my Impala SS new!

Any kid should appreciate a beast on wheels, it's the gas prices that made the vast majority switch to smaller snails hence the market availability (or what little of it) of big RWD V8 cars.

If it was cost effective again, every 16-25 year old would yearn for a 400hp Charger with some sAiZe.

Perhaps it's a conspiracy the world elite don't want the younger generation to appreciate power and size and hence yielding less affluent-aspiring boys/men and girls/women by making round nerf-balls as popular as Coca-Cola. Remeber democracy means the rich get richer and the poor get poorer; it's the lucky fool at the top of the pyramid that gets all the peanuts.

Oh, and the Challenger in the original Vanishing Point was a 440 or a 383 car not a HEMI (the Challenger in the re-make on Fox back in 1997 was a HEMI Challenger). It was a 60's Camaro that got squashed at the end into the bulldozer. Perhaps they didn't want to destroy the remaining Challenger(s) used for filming (although I believe Chrysler provided the vehicles which means that they would have had the Y28 option code on the fender tags).

GEO

Constable
06-14-2003, 08:58 AM
very insightful... i do remeber that it was a different body style car that crashed (typical of b-movies)

LML's Sammy
06-14-2003, 10:47 AM
Haha..you guys crack me up. However I believe "2 Fast 2 Furious" (as well as the first) was directed towards younger audiences than what most of you are. It also took into account that most people like I know nothing about cars, so they could BS whatever they wanted in the movie, and the average person wouldn't know the difference.

I watched the movie and thought it was kool. Guys driving fast cars..what not to like? So in reality Hollywood did exactly what they set out to do. But its also fun to hear everyone pick apart the cars in the movie. However I was extremely disappointed to see the Saleen be crushed by the semi...since a Mustang is my ultimate dream car. (Sad, I know, but I'm obsessed with Stangs!)

jrzygrl
06-14-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Billatpro
Mac is startin scare me! and jrzygrl too for that matter. with nice grips! ok I'll stop. Now why would little old me scare you?

RCSignals
06-14-2003, 03:03 PM
"Drifting" (making a car slide sideways basically) a craze that has been long around Japan, is making it's way to the US as a "sport" (OK as long as they keep it off the roads)
Thing is, "drift cars" are RWD. The Japanese are using older Japanese RWD cars to do it. I wonder what effect this will have on the FWD market and manufacturing if Drifting really takes off here ?

vaderv
06-14-2003, 06:35 PM
I'm gonna start playing chopsticks when I eat a ricer... Think they'll get it? ; )

CRUZTAKER
06-14-2003, 06:45 PM
I believe that one can still 'drift' a FWD with the center console emergency brake. I saw real life video from japan, and a couple of those cars were definately FWD.

It's amazing they don't kill each other. The body shops and brake shops for that matter, must do one hell of a biz...

Bigdogjim
06-14-2003, 07:52 PM
OH well remember it only a movie. Short entertaiment value. On the other hand the MM is life long.

As for the cars in the movie. I don't get involved in cars I can't fit into. Personal thing. no flame.

The curse of the Big Dog's

merc406
06-14-2003, 09:54 PM
The 1st was only ok because of the Charger, and the shallow storyline actually helped get through it, other than that those movie's are a P.'s O.S. and wasted film.

RCSignals
06-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Yes, you can do a handbrake turn with a FWD car. From what I've read though, the best "drift" cars are RWD, and that's what the so called drifters are turning to.

the others are just typical "tuner" ricers

Reaper948
06-15-2003, 12:30 AM
I always thought the term 'rice' was dubbed to a crappy civic/toyota/mitsu with nice wheels and a fart can.....

notacop
06-15-2003, 01:19 AM
17 year old here. well, did anyone else notice that every American car in 2f2f ended up wrecked in one way or another? now you can't tell me they didn't have an agenda there. the saleen, the Z06, the yenko camaro, and the challenger r/t all were wrecked by the end of the movie. i think the viper may have survived, but one can argue the viper is not an american car anymore. dodge=chrysler=german. anyway, i'd rather not get into the "what is an american car?" debate, but IMO, american cars were seen as the losers and the enemy in the movie (just like the first). just look at who was driving the american cars. aha! the antagonists! symbolism? i think so.

oh and just to comfort the mustang worshippers (myself included), the saleen mustang that got run over by the semi was, in reality, a v-6 with a saleen bodykit:)

merc406
06-15-2003, 02:18 AM
Looked like a computer generated scene to me.

Reaper948
06-15-2003, 08:43 AM
That's good..... Very good
Now I don't feel as bad watching that car getting crushed....it was pretty nuts seeing it :)

LML's Sammy
06-15-2003, 05:41 PM
I don't care what the hell it was....it got smashed! Grr...

RCSignals
06-15-2003, 09:18 PM
notacop, I'm sure a lot of funding for the film came from the "Import Tuner" industry. Sony may have been involved with production as well. They own at least one movie making studio

notacop
06-16-2003, 04:58 PM
sure the funding sources i understand. i wouldnt be surprised if NOS gave a little dough for the signature, and yet still depressing, "NAWWWS" lines in the movie. however, i'm talking about how the american cars belonged to the enemy and how they *all* had to be wrecked, not just that they lost. it's a departure from the first movie, when the charger belonged to vin diesel's character. it is also, in my opinion, is a sign of growing anti-american car sentiment among the ricers. or am i over-analyzing this shallow movie?

RF Overlord
06-16-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by notacop
it is also, in my opinion, is a sign of growing anti-american car sentiment among the ricers. or am i over-analyzing this shallow movie?

Shallow movie is right...most sequels suck way more than the original, and it's usually painfully obvious that they are merely trying to squeeze more cash out of the concept...

It's also a fact of movie life that the prime targets are males 18-49, as they're the most easily influenced and have the most free cash...and what kind of cars do TYPICAL males 18-49 drive???????

Billatpro
06-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by jrzygrl
Now why would little old me scare you?
Cuz when you start sidin with Mad Mac on cult Guy movies, well......

jrzygrl
06-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Cuz when you start sidin with Mad Mac on cult Guy movies, well...... You haven't figured out that I really love old muscle cars by now? Where ya' been Billatpro? I'm not yoour typical girl. To be surrounded by a garage full of old cars........man I don't care who you are, ya' gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Some old bikes would be nice too...maybe an INDIAN?)

Billatpro
06-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by jrzygrl
You haven't figured out that I really love old muscle cars by now? Where ya' been Billatpro? I'm not yoour typical girl. To be surrounded by a garage full of old cars........man I don't care who you are, ya' gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Some old bikes would be nice too...maybe an INDIAN?)
Well...... ok I admit it, thats my kind of girl, you come street racin with me any time! did I say that out loud? I forgot this a public forum, of course I never street race, that's not legal....is it Mac.:eek:

jrzygrl
06-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Yeah, if I can ever break away from takin' care of everybody else! Pit Crew is a tough job. Man I'm there.....Twin Cities isn't that far!

Reaper948
06-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Well...... ok I admit it, thats my kind of girl, you come street racin with me any time! did I say that out loud? I forgot this a public forum, of course I never street race, that's not legal....is it Mac.:eek:

Neither is speeding! But Mac just got a 12.9 second car and does more mods than most of us LOL !