PDA

View Full Version : Saying Hello

Mopar Boy
01-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Just thought I would say hello. I have known Tom aka Marauderman :) for a long time. He told me about the site and after seeing his new times I had to say congrads.

I dont own a Marauder but my work vehicle is a Ford Interceptor. Im a Mopar nut so please forgive me. :depress: My DD is turbo charged 1st gen 2 dr Neon. Ive done almost all the work on it myself. It should be in the 350hp range maybe more. I finally got my clutch in that can hold the power so a dyno day will be soon. After the car gets a little more done too it I'll start on the next project which is my 2 dr 1967 Plymouth Valiant. I pretty sure Turbos will be on the build list for it also...:cool:

RCSignals
01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Hello Welcome

JMan
01-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Welcome! Any friend of Tom's . . . Well . . . Welcome aboard! Does the Valiant have a 225 or 273/318. I presume the V-8 since you stated Turbo's like plural. That's a scary thought in a light weight car like that. Better start planning on frame strengthening and a Dana rear out of an old Imperial. Don't forget the braking system, too. The non-power 4-drum ain't gonna cut it from 120mph!

Enjoy,

J

Mopar Boy
01-19-2007, 12:01 PM
JMan

Welcome! Any friend of Tom's . . . Well . . . Welcome aboard!

I was hoping that would not hurt me to much...:) Sorry Tom J/K

Yea the Valiant's brakes are the first priority. It came with the big 10" drums on all four corners.:( I've already been in the recycle yards picking up parts. A Police Diplomat's brake system made the donar list for brakes, 11" drums in the back and 12" rotors up front. I also got a few other items from it. I wish that it would have still had the steel rims but someone else got there before I did.

The stock rear end should be able to handle all the power I want after a good rebuild, it's the 8 3/4. I agree with you on the sub frame connectors that will be a must. I'm wanting to rebuild the suspension with new Poly bushings, thicker torsion bars and relocation kit for the rear springs.

The only thing I haven't decided yet on is the power plant. The stock power plant was a 273 but now its just a normal 318. This seems to happen a lot to the older valiants. What I would really like to put in is one of the new Hemis. I already have a set of heads, so a block with a crank to build up would be nice. Of course the fuel injection would make it a nice driver. But the other part of me is thinking about a stroker 451. I have the 400 block and a steel 440 crank so that idea is being floated too. The big draw back on that is the BB in a small A-body. Augh lots of fighting to make things fit. The good thing is that I have plenty of time and I'm in no rush.

fastblackmerc
01-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the site!

Marauderman
01-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Just thought I would say hello. I have known Tom aka Marauderman :) for a long time. He told me about the site and after seeing his new times I had to say congrads.

I dont own a Marauder but my work vehicle is a Ford Interceptor. Im a Mopar nut so please forgive me. :depress: My DD is turbo charged 1st gen 2 dr Neon. Ive done almost all the work on it myself. It should be in the 350hp range maybe more. I finally got my clutch in that can hold the power so a dyno day will be soon. After the car gets a little more done too it I'll start on the next project which is my 2 dr 1967 Plymouth Valiant. I pretty sure Turbos will be on the build list for it also...:cool:

Well,Well,Well,---Look who is droping in...........Hey feller...since you are working further up north from me more --this may be the only way we can meet..:lol:....

WOW--All your doings and plans to those "little" cars is something!! Its amazing what you can do to and get out of those cars---I can't wait to see you do the 1320 at the Rock---that is a pretty good track---oh yeah--appreciate your congrats too---That was fun---and I still got pleanty of rubber left on them DR's....so it looks like more 1320 fun--:lol:

NOw as far as JMan's comment........he gets so excited about "Red Line Beauty, he goes into "joke" mood...:lol:

We all will be watching your build-up --post often as you can about it for all of us to read----.......see ya.......Tom

jgc61sr2002
01-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Welcome to the MM site.:D

JMan
01-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Hey, just teasin' about 'Ol Tom. Everybody loves Tom. He's just like . . . well . . . Everybody loves Tom.
Chrysler big-blocks kick serious derriere! The problem with the A-body is not only fitting it in, but it's gonna crush the front suspension no matter how beefy you try and make it. That car is not made for that kind of torque or weight. Make friends with a guy that has a front-end repair shop now, you're gonna need him! Even a stock smogger 400 out of a late seventies Cordoba produces well over 300 lb/ft of torque. And that is the dog of the family. God forbid you get a real or built big-block! Find a 340 or build one. Parts are cheaper and available. Those things twist like no tomorrow. Oh, and one last thing, with a small block, you'll have room for a power brake booster. I'm thinking your gonna need it!

Best Luck,

J

RoyLPita
01-20-2007, 05:44 AM
Tom is a great guy. Anyone he meets there is welcomed here. Enjoy the site.

Mopar Boy
01-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Marauderman

Well,Well,Well,---Look who is droping in...........Hey feller...since you are working further up north from me more --this may be the only way we can meet..

Its amazing what you can do to and get out of those cars---I can't wait to see you do the 1320 at the Rock---that is a pretty good track

Hey there is always lunch no that im in the area that you work. :cool:

Yea I can't wait to run the little red car (Neon) on the 1/4 mile also. I want to make all 8 injectors earn their money!!! I hit boost on the new clutch, when I was driving it home, to see if it holds and boy it does... It's a lot better than the old PT clutch. I just need to wrap up an issue with the clutch cable than it will be track ready. We'll have to take a spin in it one day; kind of suprising what a little 144ci motor can do. What I cant get over is the cams. That is the stock non turbo 2.4 cams, I have a set of Crane Turbo cams in the garage but I haven't had time to put them in. Those should really wake the motor up more.

JMan I've been doing a lot of research on the big block in the little A-body and there is a web site (bigblockdart.com) that is dedicated to this swap. Dodge actually put Big Blocks in the little A-body back in the late 60's. The 383/400 was an easier fit due to it not being a raised block like the 440 and 426:cool4: . The good thing about the 400 is that I can have the 440 crank machined down, with the stroker rods and pistons the CI will come out to 451. The 340's are coming harder to find and when you do they get top $$.

Mopar Boy
01-20-2007, 09:43 AM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 463213" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>RoyLPita</TD><TD class=alt2>Tom is a great guy. Anyone he meets there is welcomed here. Enjoy the site</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks... Also cool pict of Steve McQueen!!!! One of the best movies made. I have it on DVD.:coolman: I love that chase sceen but hate the ending for the 68 Charger..:shake:

Marauderman
01-20-2007, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Mopar Boy;463290]Hey there is always lunch no that im in the area that you work. :cool:

speaking of which--I am working this Sat and Sun--20/21st--hit me up on my cell--(or Pm me for it) I am working the power plant by myself off IBM .Dr.entrance #5....6:30to 6:30