PDA

View Full Version : trying wireless Internet

Bradley G
01-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I got a used laptop, off E-bay.
It's like me, old and slo:D
I hooked up a wireless router to my current Comcast set up.
I followed the instructions on the cd , but got no access.
I asked at Circuit city, where I got the router,tech person pitched a service, that walks you through a set-up process(secure), over the phone.
They want eighty dollars , to square you away.
Is this the only way, to figure this out?

fastblackmerc
01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
No, all the info you need to setup wireless access is usually in the manual that came with the router. You may need to turn on the wireless portion of the router. Does the laptop recognize that there is a wirelss siganl nearby? You'll also want to check the laptop manufacturers wbsite for any of the setup info and latest device drivers.

What kind of router is it?

magindat
01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
I hooked up a wireless router to my current Comcast set up.
I followed the instructions on the cd , but got no access.
I asked at Circuit city, where I got the router,tech person pitched a service, that walks you through a set-up process(secure), over the phone.
They want eighty dollars , to square you away.
Is this the only way, to figure this out?

What?! Hell no! Call me. I'll help ya.

Post up the brand and model number of your router.

Also post up the brand, model and method for the laptop, PCMCIA card? USB? Internal? wireless access.

Send ya my number on PM.

Bradley G
01-19-2007, 01:21 PM
thanks Rich!

Also post up the brand, model and method for the laptop, PCMCIA card? USB? Internal? wireless access.

Send ya my number on PM.

Bradley G
01-19-2007, 01:23 PM
I am not sure how to tell if the laptop recognises the signal.
It's Netgear.
thanks, I'll take a look

No, all the info you need to setup wireless access is usually in the manual that came with the router. You may need to turn on the wireless portion of the router. Does the laptop recognize that there is a wirelss siganl nearby? You'll also want to check the laptop manufacturers wbsite for any of the setup info and latest device drivers.

What kind of router is it?

magindat
01-19-2007, 01:28 PM
It's Netgear.
thanks, I'll take a look

You have to set up the router first. Then the laptop will say wireless networks detected.

Tip:
Start without any security at all. No encrytion, etc. Nothing to compicate matters. Get it goin, then worry about security, later.

Make sure your LT is at least 10ft from and not under the router's antenna. Many antennas have a small 'dome' under which reception sucks.

Bradley G
01-19-2007, 01:37 PM
the router is NetgearWGR614 54 MBPS
laptop It's a Sony PCG-9251 windows 98, Wireless LAN Cardbus PC Card.
what is method?
got your PM.

Send ya my number on PM.

silver_2000
01-19-2007, 01:39 PM
wireless connections are about 3 things

network name
security
and distance

Ignore all the other settings for now - its easiest of you can connect to the oruter using a wire on a second PC to do the setup.

For a netgear you can configure the router using web page
"default the router's address is 192.168.0.1"
http://192.168.0.1 (http://%3Cb%3E192.168.0.1%3C/b%3E)
from : http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101209.asp

first thing is reset the router to factory defaults
then walk thru the guide linked above

If you want a shortcut just find the network name that is being broadcast likely netgear and try to connect to it. If you can connect to it see if your PC gets an IP address - usually if you dont get an IP its because of Wireless Security. If you get an IP address from the router like 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x then try to get to yahoo. If you cant get to yahoo check the status page of the router to see if it is getting an IP from your ISP - you may need to set the connection type - DHCP or PPOE, depending on your ISP.
Think of the router just like your PC - if you hook your PC direct to the cable modem or DSL do you have to do anything to the PC to get it to connect to the internet ? If yes then do the same to the router. Having said that I think comcast uses DHCP, BUT I also think the cable modem remembers the mac address of the last PC connected - SO hook up the router to the cable modem - with it set to DHCP and then unplug the cable modem - plug it back in and then unplug the router and lug it back in - the cable modem will then see the routers MAC address as the current one.

Wireless Steps to check

1) does router have an external IP ?
2) does laptop detect a wireless signal ?
3) can you connect to it ?
4) do you get an IP address ? - If no IP then turn off wep or WPA security till you get one
5) can you get to yahoo ?

Good luck

MM2004
01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Assuming you are on high-speed I-net, you may have to contact your DSL/Broadband carrier as your modem may have to be placed in 'bridged' mode for your router to function properly.

This can be done quite easily by tech support from your high-speed carrier.

Good luck!

Mike.

fastblackmerc
01-19-2007, 02:04 PM
It's Netgear.
thanks, I'll take a look

There should be an application to access the wireless PCMCIA card to set it up for the wireless network. I see your running Windows 98. May be a problem.

OneBADLsE
01-19-2007, 02:36 PM
?

i'm sure you two will make magical memories... :lol:

silver_2000
01-20-2007, 10:13 AM
There should be an application to access the wireless PCMCIA card to set it up for the wireless network. I see your running Windows 98. May be a problem.
98 is going to make it a challenge

ckadiddle
01-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Also..... some brands of wireless add-in cards have issues with certain models of some notebooks.....and some brand wireless cards have problems working properly with some brands of wireless routers. And some brands of wireless routers do not play happily with some brands of cable modems. It's not nearly as amazingly easy and fun-filled as they make it look in the TV commercials. :) It may not be your fault at all.

stryker
01-20-2007, 12:48 PM
:confused: I think I will try the same this dial up connection System is so slow that downloading the video of " THE DEALER " took me an hour and five minutes to make it. :mad2:

:wreath: STRYKER. :toast:

MM03MOK
01-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Assuming you are on high-speed I-net, you may have to contact your DSL/Broadband carrier as your modem may have to be placed in 'bridged' mode for your router to function properly.

This can be done quite easily by tech support from your high-speed carrier.

Good luck!

Mike.Only DSL needs "bridged mode."

:confused: I think I will try the same this dial up connection System is so slow that downloading the video of " THE DEALER " took me an hour and five minutes to make it. :mad2:

Using a wireless router with dial-up service won't make your download speeds any faster.