PDA

View Full Version : Need Help DOHC into Crown Vic

YourBusted
01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I have two 2001 Crown Vic Fleet (P72) cars, and I have an 03 Marauder DOHC engine, Harness, computer, and all acc. I am not a stranger to engine swaps. I have alot of GM LS1-LT1 swaps under my belt. I know the intesive labor involved. I have just a few questions so far. In the GM swaps the vehicle speed sensor is an issue, is it an issue in this swap?. Also will the SOHC trans work with the DOHC engine. I believe I have the pats issue worked out (on paper anyway). Is there anything else that will need alot of thought, and or fabricating. As with the GM swaps I expect to have a bunch of trouble codes to work out once its in and fired up. Any information will help. This is meant to be a father son fun project.

Thanks

Marc

Breadfan
01-23-2007, 11:16 AM
From what I hear the biggest hurdle will be that the '01 CV has the old iron crossmember and steering system. The '03+ has the same aluminum corssmember and rack and pinion steering as the Marauder so much easier to do there.

I'm sure others will have some tips but I believe it's much more challenging on pre-'03 models.

RCSignals
01-23-2007, 11:18 AM
You may have some firewall, wiper motor interference issues.
the transmission should be fine
Does the P72 have PATS? P72 = Taxi fleet?

Zack
01-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah^^^.
You might need a different oil pan.

Power Surge
01-23-2007, 11:45 AM
It shouldn't be too hard. The 5.4 fit, so a DOHC 4.6 should fit fine as well. I would stick with the stock cast manifolds for best clearance. I used the stock 5.4 pan, which I THINK is the same pan the MM uses. It only required some slight clearancing on the one corner where it was resting on the frame. Wasn't even 1/4 of massaging to make it clear. Everything else should be bolt in.

Pops
01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I put a DOHC 4.6 in a 95 GM and we had to notch the front crossmember to clear the oil pan. The original transmission was used due the fact that tha new transmission has a digital output that will not interface with the older car. Make sure you do plenty of homework on this project first. We found someone who was able to reprogam the original ECM to work on thr new motor. Any questions feel free to PM me .

cyclopsram
01-23-2007, 02:00 PM
The 2.73 rear will probably give you a super top end and a half hour to get there.. RAM

Joe Walsh
01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
You should 'PM' Tom; "2ndMDRebel"...he has a 4.6 DOHC Crown Vic with a S/C and runs 11.4s with the badboy!

He could probably help you out with some of your questions.

Power Surge
01-23-2007, 04:38 PM
You should 'PM' Tom; "2ndMDRebel"...he has a 4.6 DOHC Crown Vic with a S/C and runs 11.4s with the badboy!

He could probably help you out with some of your questions.

His car is an 03 though, so not the same thing.

Joe Walsh
01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
His car is an 03 though, so not the same thing.

OOPS! My bad...do the '03 CVs have the same aluminum front cross member as the Marauders?

Power Surge
01-23-2007, 05:05 PM
OOPS! My bad...do the '03 CVs have the same aluminum front cross member as the Marauders?

Yes, but the poster is asking about putting the motor in an 01.

gdmjoe
01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Joe Walsh - OOPS! My bad...do the '03 CVs have the same aluminum front cross member as the Marauders?
No ... The Maruaders have the same front crossmember as the Crown Victoria (and Grand Marquis). http://www.geocities.com/gdmjoe/evil.gif

RCSignals
01-24-2007, 12:15 AM
No ... The Maruaders have the same front crossmember as the Crown Victoria (and Grand Marquis). http://www.geocities.com/gdmjoe/evil.gif

No, the '03+ Crown Victoria, Town Car and Grand Marquis have the same crossmember as was developed for the Marauder project. http://www.geocities.com/gdmjoe/evil.gif

Raudermaster
01-24-2007, 05:24 AM
The transmission is fine. All '95-Up CV/GM's had the 4r70w tranny. The '03 Marauder had that as well. The only thing I would change would be the torque converter.

Drock96Marquis
01-24-2007, 11:16 AM
No, the '03+ Crown Victoria, Town Car and Grand Marquis have the same crossmember as was developed for the Marauder project. http://www.geocities.com/gdmjoe/evil.gif

No, the crossmember was not developed for the Marauder 'project', it was developed as a prototype chassis revision for the CV/GM and TC and was soon after applied for all 2003 MY production panthers. That's what Ned told me.

You can use the transmission. You will need to swap your VSS over. If the MM trans lacks a VSS moutning hole, jsut swap over your old tailshaft housing.
http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/modelnumbers/crownvic/index.html

mad1stgen
01-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Police Interceptors have longer output shaft on the trans. You have to take the trans apart to replace the output shaft.

Also, swapping 03+ 4r70w doesn't always work too well. VSS needs teeth on the output shaft which are not to be found on most 03, and none of the 04 transmissions.

Drock96Marquis
01-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Police Interceptors have longer output shaft on the trans. You have to take the trans apart to replace the output shaft.
Marauders and Town Cars also have the extended tailshaft housing.

An 03 trans *should* have the VSS teeth on output shaft with a blockoff plate on VSS hole, but it should be checked first.

RCSignals
01-24-2007, 02:36 PM
No, the crossmember was not developed for the Marauder 'project', it was developed as a prototype chassis revision for the CV/GM and TC and was soon after applied for all 2003 MY production panthers. That's what Ned told me.

My reply was actually tongue in cheek.

The Marauder project final debut was delayed for development of the chassis upgrades, otherwise it would have been out before '02/'03

Power Surge
01-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Also, swapping 03+ 4r70w doesn't always work too well. VSS needs teeth on the output shaft which are not to be found on most 03, and none of the 04 transmissions.

The best setup is to use the SHORT output shaft, but with the longer tailshaft housing and shorter driveshaft.

TIMOTHYD
06-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I am wanting to transplant everything out of a 1994 MK VIII into a 1994 Grand Marquis.Would love to find step by step directions if they exsist.Thanks Timothyd.

MENINBLK
06-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I've also read somewhere that the 4.6L 32V DOHC Marauder Engine,
when placed into the Marauder, does not sit parallel to the frame.
In order to clear the firewall, and some other obstacles,
the engine /transmission is mounted off-line.

This **could** pose a problem in a CV/GM since the engine/tranny is mounted parallel to the frame in those cars...

I don't remember how far off they said it was mounted.