PDA

View Full Version : E4od Help!!!

Marauderjack
01-25-2007, 04:48 AM
Hey Folks,

My F-350 Dually has some weird quirks with respect to the trans shifting!!:mad:

FYI.....It is a 1996 with 460 gas and the infamous E4OD trans with Speed Density engine management and a ALT0 code EEC.....BTW my dealer says the ALT0 EEC was not used in 1996??:eek: DO I HAVE A HALF BREED??:confused:

Last Monday I drove it to the Post Office and it began shifting REALLY HARD.....Like BAM....BAM....BAM!!!:argue: Light throttle....heavy throttle....nothing helped.....I thought it would break something!!!:shake:

The previous owner had commented about hard shifting and to disconnect the battery a few minutes and it would be OK?? I did this and it is fine......Now what the heck is going on here??:depress:

I have found out that 1996 was the transition year from SD to MAF controls but know nothing of controlling the trans and a chip is not available for SD vehicles!!??:cool:

Any ideas from the "Brain Trust"??;)

Marauderjack:help:

JMan
01-25-2007, 05:29 AM
Whoa! This is a little out of my realm, but here goes!
I had a '95 F-series with a 7.3l P/S and E4OD. It would, on occasion, do the same thing! In my case though, it would set a trouble code and the O/D light would flash. For those that don't know, an E4OD is a neck breaker at high shift pressures - even in an eight thousand pound vehicle. I would get several different codes and the same result - high shift point and neck-snapping shifts regardless of the throttle or speed. My truck would, luckily, get out of failsafe mode with a restart or code clearing. I finally got sick of having to deal with it and started checking for info. All the codes set were pertaining to the Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) or an internal solenoid circuit fault. When on a lift one day, I took the liberty of walking under and un-plugging the MLPS. I got a shower! I cleaned the plug and used brake-cleaner on the sensor followed by a good shop-air blow job. I then liberally coated the connector with di-electric silicone and reconnected. Never had another problem with it! Later on in life, while talking to trans. builders, I found that this is a common problem on the E4OD's of that era. Although there was a newer design sensor and connector, clean, dry and recoat with grease is the easy fix. If you can, check for codes and clear.

This may not be the issue with your's, but it is easy to check even on the ground. The MLPS is the big (3") plastic, cresent shaped sensor on the driver's side middle of the tranny. It surrounds the shifter shaft right above the pan and has a large 8 cavity (if I recall correctly) connector. Unplug it and check for moisture. Take a dental mirror or an old makeup compact with you to inspect the sensor side of the connector.

Best luck,

J

Marauderjack
01-25-2007, 05:46 AM
WOW JMan......Thanks for the FAST reply!!:bows:

I can check that booger TODAY and get back to ya.....and yes the shifts were "Neck Snappers"!!:argue: I just knew something would break before I got it home!!!:shake:

Funny thing is the EEC apparently didn't exist as I can find no reference to it anywhere but maybe the EEC is OK and the plug is the culprit....I'll let ya know!!;)

Thanks again!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

JMan
01-25-2007, 05:47 AM
Good luck, I hope that's all it is!

J

RoyLPita
01-25-2007, 07:24 AM
I 2nd this. I verified this with my tranny tech at work.

JMan
01-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Brian,
You checkin' up on me again? :D

See ya in a couple weeks at the SSM Picnic!

J

RoyLPita
01-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Brian,
You checkin' up on me again? :D

See ya in a couple weeks at the SSM Picnic!

J

J,
You beat me to this one.

See you there.

Power Surge
01-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Just FYI, I can do a tune for you for SD. Many current day tuners won't touch SD tuning because they don't have much experiance with them as they haven't been tuning that long, but I STARTED out tuning on SD vehicles in the mid 90s. Besides, if it's just trans adjustments you want, we don't even need to touch the engine stuff if you don't want to.

Marauderjack
01-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Talk to me Sal.....

I have talked to many tuners and only one has said they can do it.....now you can!!:bows:

Most cannot find the ALT0 EEC code and Ford doesn't list it as ALT0??:confused:

I tried the plug on the MLPS......it looked clean and dry but I squirted it with cleaner anyway then some T-9 sealer!!:cool:

Yesterday we (me and my Ford parts guy) used the VIN# and "Calibration Code" to find the Ford replacement EEC....Ford part number F6TZ(F6TF)-12A650-AHA.....Does that give you what you need for a chip and YES I do want to tweak the engine if you can do that too??:confused:

Email me at coosawjack@earthlink.net or call me at 843-812-0509 with details!!:beer:

Thanks!!:D

Marauderjack:pimp:

JMan
01-26-2007, 05:21 AM
I tried the plug on the MLPS......it looked clean and dry but I squirted it with cleaner anyway then some T-9 sealer!!:cool:

Sorry, that wasn't the silver bullett for you! Not my realm but I tried! Did it still do it afterwards?

Best wishes,

J

Marauderjack
01-26-2007, 05:43 AM
No No JMan......

It is fine now and it may take months for it to happen again...therefore it could be the plug you told me about.......only time will tell??:cool:

The previous owner just said he had to diconnect the battery from time to time when it decided to shift HARD!!!

If Sal can burn a chip to control TC locking and better engine management....I'm ready as long as it doesn't cost more than the truck's worth??;)

Marauderjack:bandit:

Marauderjack
01-31-2007, 05:12 AM
Well.....

It did it again and I disconnected the battery and it was/is fine again!!??:confused:

I ordered a new MLPS switch to see if that helps...If not I guess it will be a new EEC??!!:eek:

I have posted twice here and PM'd Sal (Power Surge) twice and he has not responded to me....anyone know how to contact him so I can see if he can do something for me???:shake:

Marauderjack:(

Raudermaster
01-31-2007, 05:27 AM
PM Blackened300A as I believe he goes to his shop and may have his number.

JMan
01-31-2007, 05:34 AM
You really need to check for codes. Even if no lights are on, there may be a non-emissions related or pending code. What's happening is the controller is sensing a fault and putting the tranny into "fail-safe" or "limp-in" mode. There has to be a code there somewhere. That would be the best starting place for diagnosis purposes!

Good luck,

J

Marauderjack
01-31-2007, 07:52 AM
J...

That hard shifting is called "Limp Mode"??:confused: Caused me to LIMP!!!:argue:

One thing I noticed right off is the EEC has a diagnostic port under the hood but not like an OBD II in the Marauder......Can Autozone or some place like that check for codes??

Someone removed the cats but the O2 sensors are still there.....never gave any CEL except when I knocked off a vacuum line when putting plugs in it...so the CEL works...I guess??:cool: