PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone near Detroit willing to test drive?

Brack1
01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
I am close to buying this car
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150082432276&rd=1,1
Here is the thread all about it
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33378

The problem is that I am not going to purchase a car that I, or someone I trust, hasn't been able to drive. Especially after some of the comments that were made about the car in the above thread. What I need is someone in Michigan to go test drive this Marauder for me and report on the condition of the car. I have the ability to call the deal off, but time is running out. The car is in Bad Axe, 2 hours north of Detroit, but the seller will meet someone closer than that. If anyone is willing to do this for me I will be eternally grateful :bows:and will compensate monetarily. Thanks.

txmarauder
01-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Are you the buy it now guy, just by looking at the pics i would ask for my money back. A new front and rear bumper are going to run installed and painted about 3k. Now you will have 15k into the car. I think you can get one in better shape for not much more if any. Just an opinion.

Brack1
01-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I was thinking more like 2 grand to fix the bumpers, $1200 for both parts (www.partstrain.com) shipped and a friendly hook up for the labor. Most of what I see with the car doesn't seem too bad. But the ultimate test and the fulcrum on which this deals rests is the test drive. Hence the plea for help.

txmarauder
01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Did you ask these guys yet www.motorcitymarauders.com (http://www.motorcitymarauders.com) probably more people closer to that area there.

Zack
01-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Tell this guy he needs to buy my Trilogy car!
15k, how can he go wrong?

STLR FN
01-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Tell this guy he needs to buy my Trilogy car!
15k, how can he go wrong?
If this is BillyGmans car cut him a break and sell it for say 11K. :D

SID210SA
01-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I would wait...hasty decisions are generally not good ones....

magindat
01-25-2007, 12:44 PM
I can understand the desperation of wanting a Marauder, especially at a low price. Patience, my man. Patience.

If the consensus here advises against. Wait. There's more marauders out there in better shape for better money with more mods.

If you happen to find one in South or Central Florida I'll help check it out.

SID210SA
01-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Besides...if you are going to spend that plus the cost to fix it you might as well buy one for about the same price that has not been in an accident...or has already been fixed...stay away from that headache....these cars are too special and rare to put inferior parts on.

MERCMAN
01-25-2007, 03:20 PM
On cars.com there is a DTR in Idaho(much closer than Detroit) and it may reasonably priced as well

www.dennisdillon.com

http://www.dennisdillon.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewinven tory.details&CarID=A1FF62F7-D58C-E623-37B4-85284FB61627&StartRow=2&

Not sure of the price,but call them make an offer :up:

SHERIFF
01-25-2007, 03:37 PM
On cars.com there is a DTR in Idaho(much closer than Detroit) and it may reasonably priced as well

www.dennisdillon.com

http://www.dennisdillon.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewinven tory.details&CarID=A1FF62F7-D58C-E623-37B4-85284FB61627&StartRow=2&

Not sure of the price,but call them make an offer :up:

I can't believe the dealership didn't wash and dry that Marauder before posting images of it for sale. :down:

Meteorite
01-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Looks like the auction has ended?

EDIT 2: Wait a second, is the car in Bad Axe? The ebay listing has it as being in Sterling Heights?

However, I'd be glad to drive it for you, if it is in Sterling Heights. Sterling Heights is < 10 miles from my house. I could get out there tomorrow, if you can set it up with the seller.

EDIT 1: And no monetary compensation necessary for a Marauder "brother"!

Brack1
01-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Looks like the auction has ended?

EDIT 2: Wait a second, is the car in Bad Axe? The ebay listing has it as being in Sterling Heights?

However, I'd be glad to drive it for you, if it is in Sterling Heights. Sterling Heights is < 10 miles from my house. I could get out there tomorrow, if you can set it up with the seller.

EDIT 1: And no monetary compensation necessary for a Marauder "brother"!

Yeah, I ended the auction by doing a Buy It Now. Not too bright, but I felt pressured by the time constraint as the auction was ending in a few hours. I ended up calling the deal off and losing $100, but I was more worried about getting a less-then stellar MM. The car was actually in Bad Axe, the guy's son who has an ebay account is in Sterling Heights. I really do appreciate the offer, and someone might ask on these forums again when the guy fixes the bumpers and puts it back up on ebay. I am relieved to know that there is such a community as this when I was in need. I had know problem putting a lot of trust in the information and direction you guys gave me in making this decision. Thanks. Now if only I could find a better Marauder...

Meteorite
01-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I ended the auction by doing a Buy It Now. Not too bright, but I felt pressured by the time constraint as the auction was ending in a few hours. I ended up calling the deal off and losing $100, but I was more worried about getting a less-then stellar MM. The car was actually in Bad Axe, the guy's son who has an ebay account is in Sterling Heights. I really do appreciate the offer, and someone might ask on these forums again when the guy fixes the bumpers and puts it back up on ebay. I am relieved to know that there is such a community as this when I was in need. I had know problem putting a lot of trust in the information and direction you guys gave me in making this decision. Thanks. Now if only I could find a better Marauder...
I'm sure you'll find your Marauder. I think several people have joined in here at MM.net before buying Marauders, and later on they successfully found a car. It is a good idea to read through the threads here to gain knowledge. By doing that, you can have a checklist of specific things to look for on the next Marauder you consider. :up:

Me, I did it backwards. I bought the car, found these Forums, and then learned what I should have looked at before buying my car. :shake:

LILALLEYKATT
01-27-2007, 09:55 AM
I can understand the desperation of wanting a Marauder, especially at a low price. Patience, my man. Patience.

If the consensus here advises against. Wait. There's more marauders out there in better shape for better money with more mods.

If you happen to find one in South or Central Florida I'll help check it out.
Magindat has a good point...I also would attempt to get a car that has not been used in salt. It makes for alot nicer car underneath as the bolts and surfaces are not corroded...