PDA

View Full Version : 07 Toyota Tundra performance numbers

Mard
01-26-2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=119089

Dang....this is now a full size truck, with available 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. Wonder how many of these they'll sell?

0-60 in 6.3 seconds
1/4 mile in 14.8@93.7 mph
It weighs over 5600 pounds!!

Motorhead350
01-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Thats awesome. If I needed I truck I would definately look into one of those. that 1/4 mile time is amazing.

Marauderjack
01-27-2007, 04:33 AM
I have a friend that has one and it IS very quick!!:beer:

It has those "Torque Modulated" mushy shifts though......I'll bet it would do much better with a tune and better trans management!!:eek:

I think he told me he gets around 20 MPG on the highway!:cool:

If I was gonna buy a new truck the Tundra would give Ford a strong argument.:argue:

Marauderjack:burnout:

1900 Posts.....WooooHoooo!!!!

Joe Walsh
01-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I just saw several of those new Tundras on display at the Baltimore Boat Show.
They are BIG trucks! They were touting the 401 Ft-Lb torque rating for all the guys who tow their boats.
I hate to admit it, but they are really nice! The crew cab has the rear door handles integrated into the rear edge of the doors and it gives the truck a really clean look.
Poor Ford...they'll be deep discounting and rebating the 5.4 Tritons to keep up....:(
Hopefully the 3 valve 5.4 is not the turd that the 2 valve was!

BTW: those 1/4 mile times would WHUP a stock Marauder.

Vortex
01-27-2007, 07:53 AM
The top of the line lotor is basically from a Lexus and runs a high gear rear end Ill bet. Thats why its quick. A nice truck to be sure, but I dont see any Japanese truck doing serious damage to Ford, Chev/GMC, Dodge in the near future because of strong brand loyalty. No reason for the American manufactureres to rest on laurels though, and good ideas from the Toyota must be "borrowed" if needed. I will also throw in at this time the Dodge I own right now has been the most practical, comfortable, powerful and trouble free vehicle Ive ever owned, including the MM.

94_302
01-27-2007, 09:05 AM
They got that down now they just need to make the turck look better.

Shora
01-27-2007, 09:11 AM
I want truck shopping with my uncle a few months ago. We went to all to look at ALL the full sizers.

-Silverado was so boring it didn't even have a chance.

-F-150 was nice in every aspect but it's engine was even rated lower then the Titan...

-The Ram 1500 had everything he wanted. Bad A$$ looks, 45 more HP and Torque was also up by 10 on the F-150.

My uncle is the type that goes by the numbers. I explained that one cannot really feel the difference between the Hemi and Ford's 3 valve but he wouldn't hear it.

Trust me, if this Tundra was around at the time he would be driving a 5.7 Tundra.

See it in action at Toyota.com

RedMerc04
01-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I dont care how great it is or how "great" its reviewers make it out to be, I would never be caught dead with any Japaneese product gracing my driveway even if its built and designed here.

michael ward
01-27-2007, 10:02 AM
I dont care how great it is or how "great" its reviewers make it out to be, I would never be caught dead with any Japaneese product gracing my driveway even if its built and designed here.AMEN!! I'M with you on that one. theres to many traders in the U.S.A...

Joe Walsh
01-27-2007, 10:51 AM
AMEN!! I'M with you on that one. theres to many traders in the U.S.A...

You mean traitors?

I USED to buy only American made vehicles...almost exclusively Fords.

But 2 years ago I went looking for a nice daily driver station wagon, one that my fiancee could drive all year round...the domestic choices were non-existant.

I ended up with a Subaru Legacy GT wagon.
It looks gorgeous.
It has a sweet leather interior.
It has a HUGE sunroof.
It has heated seats, heated mirrors, and heated windshield wipers.
It has a 250 HP turbo intercooled 2.5L DOHC 4 cylinder.
It has a 5 speed, 'paddle shifted' overdrive automatic.
It has full time all wheel drive.
It gets 27 mpg on the highway.
It handles great and runs like stink...mid 14s in the 1/4 mile.

I would have bought a domestic product IF there was anything CLOSE to this Subaru.

I fully agree that we should support the U.S. manufacturers, but not if it means that I have to buy a lesser vehicle or it is to my detriment.

P.S. We've got 48,000+ miles on it with "0" problems. I still prefer driving my Marauder, but this Subaru is fun to drive!

Raudermaster
01-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Yea, that new Tundra is pretty impressive. But, I would still keep it domestic always, and so will my father. And for the record Shora, the Ram only has 35 more hp, not 45.

Shora
01-27-2007, 01:51 PM
And for the record Shora, the Ram only has 35 more hp, not 45.

For the record Raudermaster, the Hemi in the Ram is listed at 345HP. Ford Lists the 5.4 at 300HP.

Check your facts when you go on the record.

Here is the link on the Dodge web site. Read under 5.7 Liter Hemi.

http://www.dodge.com/en/ram_1500/features/capability.html

Motorhead350
01-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I dont care how great it is or how "great" its reviewers make it out to be, I would never be caught dead with any Japaneese product gracing my driveway even if its built and designed here.

Why do you think that way? They are all just car companies looking for business. One isn't better than anohter thats all subjective. Who cars where it's made or who makes it? If it's cool and good, then I wouldn't say not to buy it simply because it's Japanese. They make a lotta great products, but they may not be selling because your not the only one with that attitude in this country. I really wanna know why would you not buy a Japanese car or truck?

RedMerc04
01-27-2007, 02:16 PM
I really wanna know why would you not buy a Japanese car or truck?
[img=http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/567/pearlharborst9.th.jpg] (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pearlharborst9.jp g) See

RedMerc04
01-27-2007, 02:23 PM
I really wanna know why would you not buy a Japanese car or truck?
December 7th, 1941. It seems that most have forgotten and/or just dont give a damn. It would be the the same as buying a car built by the Talaban or Hammass 65 years from now. The american public forgets these things oh so quickly and personally I wouldnt be suprised if it happened. :mad2:

AstroVic
01-27-2007, 02:29 PM
December 7th, 1941. It seems that most have forgotten and/or just dont give a damn. It would be the the same as buying a car built by the Talaban or Hammass 65 years from now. The american public forgets these things oh so quickly and personally I wouldnt be suprised if it happened. :mad2:

Amen! I'll second that motion!

Motorhead350
01-27-2007, 02:45 PM
ummm can't we put the past behind us? I know I did. If I held a grudge at everyone I had a conflict with or disagreement I wouldn't have a hold lotta people to talk to. Don't live in the past because you'll never be happy. I don't understand this way of thinking. If people forget about it... good! They have moved on. I could go on about forgetting the past, but I think you get the point. Live for today.

Oh ya I could say a ton of stuff that would get me banned about religion, war or how religion=war, but I won't. Go ahead and think the way you want. It's America isn't it?

Leadfoot281
01-27-2007, 03:03 PM
My friend just bought a 3/4 ton Dodge truck with the hemi. After 19k miles he's ready to get rid of it. Brakes, transmission, and suspension problems. Dealership complaints too. Now he'll just have to deal with the thorough reaming that'll certainly happen when trades it off.

This Minnesota farm boy doesn't see Jap trucks getting taken seriously any time soon. It's strickly Ford, Chevy, and Dodge around here. When I see a Jap truck pulling a 26ft goose neck stock trailer, I'll eat my hat.

Trucks have far more brand loyalty going for them than cars ever have. Toyota has a steep hill to climb on that one.

I also agree with everyone on the topic of Pearl Harbor. 25hp isn't going to make me forget that. I maybe able to forgive but not forget (haven't done either yet though and don't plan on it).

As far as torque goes, the only difference between a 305 chevy and a 350 chevy is a set of 3:73 gears. When we write off fuel costs, who cares?

Motorhead350
01-27-2007, 03:08 PM
When we write off fuel costs, who cares?

Not me. :D If you buy a truck, you don't buy it for gas mileage.

Big House
01-27-2007, 03:11 PM
It really has nothing to do with Pearl (for those that didn't know, that was the day Japan bombed Pearl Harbor) for me, I am just plain ole American, true and through. Yeah, the Germans and the Japanese have the lead on us (in certain catagories) with the durable goods of there respective countries, but nothing beats the rumble of an AMERICAN V8...not the Tundra, not the Titan, the Armada...nothing. Nothing is more American than the Pick-up Truck and that is the only way I would have it. They can talk numbers and this and that...when the can step up and take on the the 2008 Ford Super Duty...then and only themn with a foreign truck get a nod of respect.

RedMerc04
01-27-2007, 03:13 PM
[quote=Motorhead350;465089]I don't understand this way of thinking. If people forget about it... good! They have moved on. I could go on about forgetting the past, but I think you get the point. Live for today.
quote]
I dont think its a good thing at all to have people forgetting the events of the past. Especially ones that occured during war. These people who are making this "wonderful" truck are the same fu*ks that killed 2400 young men and injured roughly 1700 more. This forgive and foget is a bunch of BS nonsense. Im not saying that we should hold such a grudge that we cant get along with them (because peace is a good thing) but we shouldnt be their butt buddies either. I agree with the live for today thing you said but one should remember what happened in the past and use it as a guideline for living because history has a funny habit of repeating itself.

Shora
01-27-2007, 04:16 PM
This anti <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/<st1:country-region><st1:place>Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region> is going a bit too far. I guess that our biggest ally <st1:country-region><st1:place>England</st1:place></st1:country-region> should be condemned too since we fought them at one time too.

We cannot stay angry at everyone we ever fought with. We wouldn't have anyone to talk to.

I am not saying to forget, NEVER, but forgive. <st1:country-region><st1:place>Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region> is our ally now and we should respect that.

Also, those who are anti-Japanese when it comes to trucks please do not forget that your house and or office is filled with other goods from <st1:country-region><st1:place>Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region> or a Japanese company. (Items such as Computers, Radios, DVD Players, Televisions, Digital Cameras etc.) So, what's the big difference if you also bought your truck from them?

Motorhead350
01-27-2007, 04:18 PM
I just move on. Sorry that I'm one of the Americans that don't care... I didn't forget nor will I, but I'm not gonna look at a Japanese car and say "No way, I'm not starting over. They bombed us so they won't be seeing a penny from me." Keep in mind that happened before just about any of us were alive so how does it effect you? Didn't effect me and the Japanese build some cars and trucks I like although they tend to be older ones like Datsons, like most of my old taste. I would look at a car and judge it by what it is... not who made it. Thats just prejudice and I totally disagree with that way of thinking. Thats just me and like I said do what you want. It doesn't effect me.

Motorhead350
01-27-2007, 04:20 PM
[\Also, those who are anti-Japanese when it comes to trucks please do not forget that your house and or office is filled with other goods from [/COLOR][/FONT]<st1:country-region><st1:place>Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region> or a Japanese company. (Items such as Computers, Radios, DVD Players, Televisions, Digital Cameras etc.) So, what's the big difference if you also bought your truck from them?

You said it best. :up:

the_pack_rat
01-27-2007, 05:46 PM
The top of the line lotor is basically from a Lexus and runs a high gear rear end Ill bet.

Technically that would low geared but numerically higher ... but I think I know what you meant. :D

To think my Cutlass used to have 2.14's in it !!!. :eek:

Your assumption appears to be correct according to this quote below from the link & article posted (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=119089) at the beginning of this thread.

The towing package adds cooling, extensive trailer wiring, extendable towing mirrors and upgraded rear springs, and substitutes a 4.3:1 rear-axle ratio for the standard 4.1:1 setup. As a result, this configuration achieves another best-in-class: a tow rating of 10,800 pounds. That's no fluke either, as our 4x4 Double Cab with tow package is rated for 10,300 pounds.
I'm sure a set of 3.55's or 3.73's would hinder that trucks launch quite a bit.

RedMerc04
01-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Keep in mind that happened before just about any of us were alive so how does it effect you? Didn't effect me.

Listen, thats just arrogant and disrespectful to all military service men and women who have made sacrifices for this country. That "Oh, it doesnt effect me so it doesnt matter" attitude. But ive got news for ya it did effect you! We are communicating in english right now arent we? Just because something happened before our time doesnt mean that It doesnt effect you its part of history and weather you like it or not it has had an effect on everyone. Also, I would like to know how all of the suddden I am prejudice? I dont want to buy japanese cars for reasons that I feel are 100% right for any american, thats it. For what was said about the electronics: Today it seems like you have no choice but to buy a product that isnt made somewhere in asia. However, with automobiles we still do have a choice and if people keep leaning twards foreign products soon the auto industry will look alot like today's electronic industries. I think that its bs that most things you buy today say made in china or some other country you cant pronounce when we are fully capable of putting people to work here and making a better product; sure it may not be as cheap but atleast you'd know that the extra money you spent is going to stay in our country. The american automakers are really hurting because of this "buy Import" trend and its very possible that the Imports will take over. I am just trying to do my part so we may not have to see that happen.

Leadfoot281
01-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Listen, thats just arrogant and disrespectful to all military service men and women who have made sacrifices for this country. That "Oh, it doesnt effect me so it doesnt matter" attitude. But ive got news for ya it did effect you! We are communicating in english right now arent we? Just because something happened before our time doesnt mean that It doesnt effect you its part of history and weather you like it or not it has had an effect on everyone. Also, I would like to know how all of the suddden I am prejudice? I dont want to buy japanese cars for reasons that I feel are 100% right for any american, thats it. For what was said about the electronics: Today it seems like you have no choice but to buy a product that isnt made somewhere in asia. However, with automobiles we still do have a choice and if people keep leaning twards foreign products soon the auto industry will look alot like today's electronic industries. I think that its bs that most things you buy today say made in china or some other country you cant pronounce when we are fully capable of putting people to work here and making a better product; sure it may not be as cheap but atleast you'd know that the extra money you spent is going to stay in our country. The american automakers are really hurting because of this "buy Import" trend and its very possible that the Imports will take over. I am just trying to do my part so we may not have to see that happen.

Ditto! I'd buy an American built TV in a heartbeat except they quit making them. Why'd they do that? Because they weren't selling! Now we have absolutely NO choice in the matter.

I assume the same will go for cars. Will they still build them after we stop buying them? Would you build a product that no one wants to buy? 'Nuff said!

I have a choice (for now at least) and I proudly choose FoMoCo. I won't drive anything else and you can't make me!!!

Don't blame me if 30 years from now all we have to choose from are UGLY Jap trucks that were constructed from the rusty fenders of Dodges.

gpfarrell
01-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Japanese trucks will never catch on. Yeah, nobody will ever buy their cars either.

GM & Ford better not rest on patriotism... their customers deserve better than that.

I love my F250, and I've loved all my Fords... but somebody's buying Toyotas and Toyota ain't losing "a Mustang a minute"... they actually make money.

So you can wave your flags... I wave mine too... but the Japanese have 100 year business plans. They don't care if it takes 10, 20, or 30 years to win a market. Toyota started selling cars in October 1957 and everybody laughed. Nobody's laughing now. Now, if we could just stretch our horizons past the next 90 days, or the next "de-contenting to prop profits and hope our buyers don't notice" strategy, just maybe we'll still be able to buy Fords in 10 years.

Oh, Forgive... don't Forget.

grzellmer
01-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Comments on the thread

1) I respect and am grateful to our soldiers who have served in all wars.
2) I buy american because to me its like rooting for the hometown team.

However, I am a bit tired of being taken to the cleaners by US automakers whose product owns most of the list of fastest depreciating vehicles. Heck, its cheaper to lease a Mercedes than a base Dodge Charger.

So I buy my vehicles, and use them for a long time before repeating the process. This takes me out of the short term market for a new vehicle simply because the current one has such poor resale value. (This even though JD Power rates US vehicles comparible in quality.) Maybe it will get better with the US automakers weening themselves off incentives and fleet sales. We shall see.

Gary

Motorhead350
01-27-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm done, I'm not here for debate. This has already gone on longer than I cared it to. I'm not going into my military views or anything else like that. I'm going back to listening to Chubby Checker.

Mach1
01-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Well, I guess if Toyota's "100 year business plan" works out. Ford, GM and Chrysler will all be out of business, leaving us with Toyota. I wonder what their business plan will have in store for us then?.....with no competition what would you do?

Keep on buying your Toyotas, just don't be complaining when your grandchildren don't have any place to work at other than Taco Bell.

Motorhead350
01-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Theres more jobs in this country than auto makers.

michael ward
01-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Well, I guess if Toyota's "100 year business plan" works out. Ford, GM and Chrysler will all be out of business, leaving us with Toyota. I wonder what their business plan will have in store for us then?.....with no competition what would you do?

Keep on buying your Toyotas, just don't be complaining when your grandchildren don't have any place to work at other than Taco Bell.THANK YOU!!

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 01:53 AM
THANK YOU!!

Whatever........

Mad4Macs
01-28-2007, 07:27 AM
What I find enlightening, is the response I got from Japanese citizens when asked "Would you buy American?". "No, of course not!", pretty much summed it up. The people I talked with weren't stupid. They didn't buy into the argument that if "GM brought factories to Japan, they'd be employing Japanese workers". The folks I talked to understand full well, that if GM opened plants in Japan, the profits would go back to America and an American company.
It's easy to see what happens when people are better educated (and less opinionated), they make better long term decisions.

UAW 588
01-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Theres more jobs in this country than auto makers.
Ok little man, watch what you say about jobs and automakers. You just might have to hire a body guard for the 11th. Don't piss me off!!!!!!!!!!:mad2:

Dominick, just click on the bottom of my sig where it states LEVEL FIELD INSTITUTE. And educate yourself.

sailsmen
01-28-2007, 07:59 AM
It's very simple. Due to technology and world peace we have a global economy.

If a product or service can be provided more efficiently in a place other than where it is currently being produced it will.

The place that has become inefficient due government regulation/taxation or an increased standard of living has to either 1) become more efficient by changing the taxation/regulation and or reducing the standard of living or 2) provide a different product or service that it is more efficient at providing.

It happens all the time. A factory is built w/ a favorable government climate and eager workforce. After 10 years the government has increased taxes and regulations. The workforce has received a series of raises and is no longer eager. The factory can no longer produce a product at a price point that the consumer will buy.

The reason the US economy has gone to a service economy is because other places have an eager work force that can perform manufacturing jobs. The eager workforce in these other places do not currently have the ability to perform service jobs, however that is changing.

In order to compete w/out reducing our standard of living we have to have skills that the workers in these other places do not.

Some wish we could turn back the hands of time, we cannot. Some wish we could stop other places from advancing, short of war we cannot.

I have full confidence in the US worker and their ability to adopt and compete. The only impediment is the government which passes over 1,000 new laws per year!

Raudermaster
01-28-2007, 09:21 AM
And I wasn't wrong, Dodge was. If you go under the Ram tech. data, it has most of their "Hemi" powered trucks listed as 335hp and some at 345. I didn't check the ones with 345.

For the record Raudermaster, the Hemi in the Ram is listed at 345HP. Ford Lists the 5.4 at 300HP.

Check your facts when you go on the record.

Here is the link on the Dodge web site. Read under 5.7 Liter Hemi.

http://www.dodge.com/en/ram_1500/features/capability.html

gpfarrell
01-28-2007, 10:50 AM

Keep on buying your Toyotas, just don't be complaining when your grandchildren don't have any place to work at other than Taco Bell.

No competition? Didn't you see the little stand tucked away in the corner of the basement at Cobo Hall during the auto show? Those were Chinesse cars. You may remember the Korean cars started trickling in 15 years ago and we all laughed?

China is loaded with eager workers that would love to get paid two spoonfuls of rice everyday instead of one. They'll be happy to compete with Toyota.

Show me a profitable industry and competitors will pop up like mushrooms.

I'm not saying we can't compete with Toyota though. But if we're going to, we could do worse than steal a page or two out of their playbook.

I can't imagine where my grandchildren will work. I'm still trying to get my firstborn potty trained. But if they add more value to an employer or consumer than their peers add, they'll be fine. The laws of economics still work, but with today's communication & technology they just work a little faster.

We can keep up or get run over.

Dr Caleb
01-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I am not saying to forget, NEVER, but forgive. Japan is our ally now and we should respect that.

Also, those who are anti-Japanese when it comes to trucks please do not forget that your house and or office is filled with other goods from Japan or a Japanese company. (Items such as Computers, Radios, DVD Players, Televisions, Digital Cameras etc.) So, what's the big difference if you also bought your truck from them?

Bingo! In case anyone missed it, there was this little conflict in 1812 where former British subjects who rebelled (for good reason) against their rightful sovereign who started a war with, at the time, current British subjects to the north. The rebels lost.

I know you are still a little sore about the whole White House thing but if we hadn't kissed and made up, none of you would have bought a Canadian built Marauder.

Toyota makes trucks. Buy one, or don't. Move along, nothing to see here.

sailsmen
01-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I understand the feeling but not the logic. If we are buying cars from the Taliban than we are at peace with them. Hopefully not as a result of losing.

My ancestors were enslaved by the Romans, English, Danes, Normans, Moors, Germans, French, ect.

Engaging in commerce and trade does 2 things to ensure peace - creates economic ties and familiarity eliminates fear.

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Ok little man, watch what you say about jobs and automakers. You just might have to hire a body guard for the 11th. Don't piss me off!!!!!!!!!!:mad2:

Dominick, just click on the bottom of my sig where it states LEVEL FIELD INSTITUTE. And educate yourself.

I don't wanna piss anyone off. This is just what I think. Free Market. If someone can build a better car good. I prefer older American cars... some as late at the 80s like Delta 88s, Monte Carlos, exc. I'm not saying I know everything about how the Auto Industry works either, I'm just saying if someone builds a car don't say it sucks simply because of who makes it or where it comes from, say it sucks for what it is. I used to think like that and I'm glad I don't now. Being openminded give you a lot more options and opportunity for others.

By the way I'm not little. My shoes are under a lotta pressure. :rolleyes:

Peter
01-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Ford: "Quality is #1", the question is, Is that new truck quality or the same crap all the other Toyota’s are? Quite honestly I did go to a Toyata dealership before I bough the Marauder but it didn't offer the safety,roomey interior, and just plain looks.

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Ford: "Quality is #1", the question is, Is that new truck quality or the same crap all the other Toyota’s are? Quite honestly I did go to a Toyata dealership before I bough the Marauder but it didn't offer the safety,roomey interior, and just plain looks.

WATCH WHAT YOU SAY!!!! I think you pissed a few off over here. :rolleyes: Cheers to being openminded. :up:

TheDude
01-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I just went to a auto show this weekend. At the Ford booth I could have stolen the truck and no one would have noticed. At the GM booth there was a bit more activity probably due to the new trucks which are very nice. At the Toyota booth it was a mob scene. I could hardly get into any of the new tundras. My first impression is the Tundra is very nice. If anyone thinks Toyota won't threaten the U.S. market they are naive. Toyota is already the the 2nd largest behind GM. There is no such thing as the big 3 anymore.

Mach1
01-29-2007, 05:24 PM
No competition? Didn't you see the little stand tucked away in the corner of the basement at Cobo Hall during the auto show? Those were Chinesse cars. You may remember the Korean cars started trickling in 15 years ago and we all laughed?

China is loaded with eager workers that would love to get paid two spoonfuls of rice everyday instead of one. They'll be happy to compete with Toyota.

Show me a profitable industry and competitors will pop up like mushrooms.

I'm not saying we can't compete with Toyota though. But if we're going to, we could do worse than steal a page or two out of their playbook.

I can't imagine where my grandchildren will work. I'm still trying to get my firstborn potty trained. But if they add more value to an employer or consumer than their peers add, they'll be fine. The laws of economics still work, but with today's communication & technology they just work a little faster.

We can keep up or get run over.

I think you just made my point! How are we going to compete with people who are happy to work for "two spoons of rice" ?????

I'm no economist, but there are only two things that can happen in a situation like this, either the Chinese get a huge pay raise, or our next generation gets a huge pay cut!

I guess we will just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope the Communist government of China decides to pay their workers like companies do here.

Mike Poore
01-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Here's something to do. Go to the Ford website and price out a loaded F-150 King Ranch. It's $37K sticker/destination to PA. Now do the same with a Tundra. It's $42K sticker, and want to bet how much the salesman's gonna give in discounts & such? Of course, you ARE getting a Toyota. :rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
01-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Here's something to do. Go to the Ford website and price out a loaded F-150 King Ranch. It's $37K sticker/destination to PA. Now do the same with a Tundra. It's $42K sticker, and want to bet how much the salesman's gonna give in discounts & such? Of course, you ARE getting a Toyota. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but do you have to pay Toyota extra for the "Sludged Engine Oil" option?....:D ...;)

Mard
01-29-2007, 10:22 PM
What happen???? See my post below.

Mard
01-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Wow...how about those Tundra performance numbers folks. I had no idea this post could possibly cause a stir.

Where I work (large US aerospace company) we are under the mindset to constantly work with greater efficiency (work smarter/faster), lead the industry in innovation and demand quality (less error/waste). Many of these principals have been adopted from the Honda and Toyota production systems. Honda has just released a microjet that's pretty impressive and it would be scary if a Japanese company decided to produce their own large commercial aircraft.

michael ward
01-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah, but do you have to pay Toyota extra for the "Sludged Engine Oil" option?....:D ...;)or the piston slap noise?

endless
01-30-2007, 02:07 AM
I agree with everyone who posted about not trading with England.

Theyve been mucking about and weve had those wars with them in the 17 and 18 hundreds.

I for one propose that we stop all trading with them RIGHT NOW.:shake::shake::shake:

juno
01-30-2007, 06:01 AM
Or the ball joints falling out.
Or the front brakes failing.
Their quality is gone, probably less then Ford/Chevy/DC.
I was stuck with a Camry for 6 weeks working out of town. Piece of crap. I was shocked.
They appear to be trying to correct everything on the new Tundra, but I wouldn't trust them too much, they can't build anything bigger then an econobox without recalls bigger then any American owned company.

magindat
01-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Why do you think that way? They are all just car companies looking for business. One isn't better than anohter thats all subjective. Who cars where it's made or who makes it? If it's cool and good, then I wouldn't say not to buy it simply because it's Japanese. They make a lotta great products, but they may not be selling because your not the only one with that attitude in this country. I really wanna know why would you not buy a Japanese car or truck?

Dominick,
It has to do with Gross National Product. Even if a foreign marque vehicle is MADE here, the profits from said vehicle still go to the GNP of the home country.
Here's the mixed emotion...
Purists and old-schoolers believe in supporting our OWN country and it's GNP no matter what.
Middle-of-the-roaders recognize that jobs are created, etc, but also that the sales generated have TAKEN jobs from domestic marques.
New schoolers focus on the jobs created and 'world economy'.
It's sometimes a tough dilemma.
I'm a world economy kinda guy, but with a focus on our own as a priority.
Hope this helps with some understanding.
Rich

magindat
01-30-2007, 07:04 AM

I still know some older guys who won't buy Mitsubishi anything cuz they made the Zeros!

TheDude
01-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Hey, it's not up to us to stop buying Jap cars and trucks to save the big 3. It's up to the big 3 to start making cars and trucks people want. Like the MM. :)

TheDude

magindat
01-30-2007, 07:18 AM
It seems I hear a lot of this 'Big 3'. Has everyone forgotten Dodge is GERMAN?
As far as I'm concerned, GM and Ford are American and no other.

However, I WOULD by one of the GM or Ford owned foreign marques. World Economy and profits to US GNP.

Jeffh
01-30-2007, 07:21 AM
The MM I am driving was bought a man that served in WW2 and Korea. It just so happens he worked for an retired from Ford after 35 years and 8 months service. He doesn't buy anything but Ford for obvious reasons, but he will NEVER buy a Japanese car because he was held as a POW during a little battle on Okinawa. So there are some people that have a legitimate beef with the Japanese. I don't blame him for being a little bitter towards them. This man is also my grandfather. I have nothing but pride and respect for him and any other man/woman that fights for this country.

Mad4Macs
01-30-2007, 04:49 PM
It seems I hear a lot of this 'Big 3'. Has everyone forgotten Dodge is GERMAN?
As far as I'm concerned, GM and Ford are American and no other.

However, I WOULD by one of the GM or Ford owned foreign marques. World Economy and profits to US GNP.

EXACTLY! I'd buy an Aston Martin in a moment (assuming I could afford one) because the profit goes to Ford.
Oh, and because they are HOT!!! :D

Dr Caleb
01-31-2007, 09:49 AM
EXACTLY! I'd buy an Aston Martin in a moment (assuming I could afford one) because the profit goes to Ford.
Oh, and because they are HOT!!! :D

Did you see Top Gear, with the V8-Vantage vs the Jag XKR Supercharged? *slurp!*
:bows:

endless
02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I saw that top gear bit.

the background music was by Mogwai. i loved it.

Ed Tarras
02-01-2007, 08:37 PM
I refuse to buy a Japanese car because the profits go to Japan. We are not protecting our auto industry. Sure they put up some plants in the US so now we are to believe they are supporting us.

TheDude
02-02-2007, 08:32 AM
I refuse to buy a Japanese car because the profits go to Japan. We are not protecting our auto industry. Sure they put up some plants in the US so now we are to believe they are supporting us.

That does support our local economy. What helps us more. RCA leaving Indianapolis to build TV's in Mexico, or Toyota building Trucks like the Tundra in Texas? Not only does it create much needed jobs for local Texans, but also feeds the local economy. Would you rather they build the Tundra in Canada?

TheDude

Marauder2005
02-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Well all the interior parts of Ford's are made in China, so ya can't win.

Fastronald
02-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Don't be upset when REAL Americans laugh at your jap truck

Dr Caleb
02-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Well all the interior parts of Ford's are made in China, so ya can't win.

I'll bet most of the Marauder interior was manufactured near the St. Thomas plant, by Magna International. Cars and Auto parts represent Canada's #1 export product.

http://www.magnaint.com/magna/en/products/expertise/intier/default.aspx

ap2003
02-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Wow...how about those Tundra performance numbers folks. I had no idea this post could possibly cause a stir.

Where I work (large US aerospace company) we are under the mindset to constantly work with greater efficiency (work smarter/faster), lead the industry in innovation and demand quality (less error/waste). Many of these principals have been adopted from the Honda and Toyota production systems. Honda has just released a microjet that's pretty impressive and it would be scary if a Japanese company decided to produce their own large commercial aircraft.

Nobody in the US would listen to Demming ... Toyota and Honda did... It all goes around.

Shora
02-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Not to long ago they were laughing at "jap" cars. Now, the Japanese have the best selling sedans in the country and also own the mini-van market (Ford and GM gave up and will no longer even try to compete). Also, in 2006, more Toyotas were sold in California then both Ford and GM combined.

Keep laughing if you want but if they don't start building quality "trucks" that can out perform those with a Japanese name they may one day give up the truck market also.

And for the record, buying a Toyota/ Honda that is built in the USA helps more middle class Americans (like me and probably most of you) then buying a Marauder or other Fords built in Canada/ Mexico.

I care about giving jobs to middle class Americans and NOT white color executives. Helping Ford, while they move many of their plants and operations over seas does not help me (or you) in anyway. Buying a Toyota/ Honda that is built here gives honest jobs (with honest pay) to the Americans that I care about-The Hard Working Middle Class.

F__K Elena Ford and all the other executives. They do NOTHING for me. If they want me to remain loyal (my last 3 cars/ trucks were Fords and 8 currently in my family) they better produce a better product than their competition and BUILD IT HERE! I want my money going to the middle class here in the USA and not the middle class of Mexico/ Canada.

Also, do not give me that b/s why they have to build them in Mexico/ Canada because it is cheaper. If Honda and Toyota (Toyota has 9 plus plants here in the US) can build cars/ trucks here and make a profit so can they.

endless
02-07-2007, 02:02 AM
F__K Elena Ford and all the other executives. They do NOTHING for me. If they want me to remain loyal (my last 3 cars/ trucks were Fords and 8 currently in my family) they better produce a better product than their competition and BUILD IT HERE! I want my money going to the middle class here in the USA and not the middle class of Mexico/ Canada.

:beer::beer::beer:

Bluerauder
02-07-2007, 08:02 AM
The two ads for the Toyota Tundra certainly caught my eye during the SuperBowl. I liked 'em. At least their marketers hit the nail on the head with the "performance" aspect. The message clearly was "Powerful and Fast, too". Compare that to the two Ford ads that I recall .... the Edge and the Ford Superduty. Both were :blah: blah IMHO.

Marauderjack
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Y'all can dance around this all you want but the same thing that destroyed the TEXTILE industry here is now destroying the US auto industry!!!:argue:

The foreign manufacturers that came here did their homework and DID IT RIGHT!!!:bows:

Sorry but it is true!!:eek:

Marauderjack:(

Marauder2005
02-07-2007, 04:30 PM
:beer::beer::beer:

:high5: :beer:

TheDude
02-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Hey, I drive a Jap truck, and I'm a "real" American. Being American has nothing to do with trucks. My truck was built in California. The Toyota plant there employs "real Americans", so they can feed their families. Where I live, Ford is closing up shop. I have friends who will now need to find jobs to feed their families. If Ford wants "real Americans" to buy its products, they need to design and build better products.

TheDude

Motorhead350
02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey, I drive a Jap truck, and I'm a "real" American. Being American has nothing to do with trucks. My truck was built in California. The Toyota plant there employs "real Americans", so they can feed their families. Where I live, Ford is closing up shop. I have friends who will now need to find jobs to feed their families. If Ford wants "real Americans" to buy its products, they need to design and build better products.

TheDude

Dude some people just don't get it. A car or truck is simply a car or a truck. I even heard some will get mad at you if you have a Toyota for a work truck because it's a non-union company.... thats really takes the cake as far as people being for narrow minded on anything thats not built in this country. (To everyone else) I said it before and I'll say it again, it's free market and we're all trying to make a buck so don't give the imports a hard time for trying to feed their families. If you don't like it fine, but don't say someone isn't an American for seeing outside the box. Maybe I should throw my 350 in a Datson and wip some Mustang butt. OOOO wait did I say that? I'm really in trouble now!!! American and Japanese product working together!!!! Ah Oh!! :eek:

2003 MIB
02-08-2007, 05:07 AM
I guess I've always been a "buy what you like" person. It would seem to me that that the marketplace decides which car meets the need. Aside from that, I have a couple of serious questions that some may think are obvious:

Is my wife's new Mazda CX-7 really a Ford?

The platform for the CX-7 is shared with Ford and Volvo and I believe it is a Detroit design.
It came with Ford X plan pricing.
Ford owns 33% of Mazda. The math may be fuzzy but 2/3 of the profits go to Japan but 1/3 stays with Ford.
I don't have "import guilt", I just don't know how one can classify a particular vehicle as "American" or "Import".

It's easier with my Mercedes- it's German. Designed there, made there. I think I'd have the same Mazda questions if I bought a Dodge Charger. German designed components and a German parent company.

Thoughts?

Dr Caleb
02-08-2007, 09:52 AM
I guess I've always been a "buy what you like" person. It would seem to me that that the marketplace decides which car meets the need. Aside from that, I have a couple of serious questions that some may think are obvious:

Is my wife's new Mazda CX-7 really a Ford?

It's easier with my Mercedes- it's German. Designed there, made there.

Thoughts?

I agree. I nearly bought a Subaru Impreza, rather than my Marauder. But I didn't like the way I was treated in the showroom. I fell in lust with my Marauder the moment I saw it, like I wanted to lick it all over or mate with it or something.

I've owned several GM's and several Fords. One Suzuki. If I thought for a second that buying a product would dishonour the memories of the fallen, I wouldn't. But it won't. Not remebering their sacrifice would dishonour them. Not respecting the peace they achieved would dishonour them.

Otherwise, people who still hold grudges against Japan for wars started by megolomaniac Japanese Generals wouldn't buy Volkswagens, Dodges, GM's, Fords, Coke or IBM's - because they all supported the Nazis. Some things just need to rest.

My buddy imports cars from Japan - stuff that we can't get here, and frankly, some are just fantastic. I recently rode in a Toyota Aristo twin turbo - quite a screamer! It pulls HARD to well over 150km/h. He's got a 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser with a 4.2l Turbo Diesel, 4WD with center lock diff - flawless! I've had rides in Skylines with over 700RWHP from an inline 6 cyl. He's got a BMW 325 iX AWD Turbo that I can pick up for less than I paid for my (at the time) 8 year old Crown Vic.

If people stopped buying the crappy electronics that are planeed to burn out in 3 years+1 week, or the rattle traps that pass for some North American (and many European) 'cars', then companies like Ford may get the hint, and stop doing what the bean counters want. The 'Hummer H3' (and I've driven an HumVee) proves if you put a body kit on a Suburban, people will buy things regardless of price or quality. And Ford won't even admit the crappy paint on my car is worse then my sisters Focus which costs 1/3 the price.

Make us the cars we want, and we'll buy them. Or someone who does make what we want will get our business.

MarauderMark
02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Who cares who builds them as long as there are aftermarket parts to turn it into a hotrod.I'm all for it.:burn::D

Motorhead350
02-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Who cares who builds them as long as there are aftermarket parts to turn it into a hotrod.I'm all for it.:burn::D

There you go! ;)

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Wow, this is a long thread already. Quite impressive numbers off of the new Tundra, but if it was me I'd be sticking with the new f150 or silverado, I think looks are very important off the bat and american styling always seems to win me over.

And for whoever was talking about tvs not being made in the USA, I'm not completely 100% positive, but I think Visio, Westinghouse, and Maxent TVs are made in the US, not sure though, I'll look it up tomorrow.

Marauder2005
02-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Wow, this is a long thread already. Quite impressive numbers off of the new Tundra, but if it was me I'd be sticking with the new f150 or silverado, I think looks are very important off the bat and american styling always seems to win me over.

And for whoever was talking about tvs not being made in the USA, I'm not completely 100% positive, but I think Visio, Westinghouse, and Maxent TVs are made in the US, not sure though, I'll look it up tomorrow.

Westing House, I have not herd that name in a long time. There under the

RCA name I believe.

TheDude
02-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Westing House, I have not herd that name in a long time. There under the

RCA name I believe.

Westinghouse Digital is who makes the TV's. The are owned by CBS. RCA and GE are both owned by Thomson Consumer Electronics. Thomson is owned by the French Government I believe. I still think there are NO TV's built in the U.S.

TheDude

texascorvette
02-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Nobody in the US would listen to Demming ... Toyota and Honda did... It all goes around.
That's why the highest industrial award a Japanese company can win is named after an American. Good thing Demming wasn't over there prior to WWII.

Mad4Macs
02-11-2007, 04:00 PM
That's why the highest industrial award a Japanese company can win is named after an American. Good thing Demming wasn't over there prior to WWII.

Spoken like a Texan :D