PDA

View Full Version : Damn drips from trunk lid

Thomas C Potter
06-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Anyone figure out a solution to those anoying drips into the trunk?? I open slowly but still get too much water inside. I thought car manf's had such things figured out decades ago!!!

TP

lshultz
06-13-2003, 09:59 AM
TP,

Evidently they haven't quite got it down yet...I have a 2003 CV Sport that does the same thing...no matter how careful you are, water gets in...I've lifted the damn trunk just enough to get my arm in to eject the CD Changer at the left rear and water still pours in...instead of wax I'm about ready to applicate the trunk with Rain-Ex so the stinking water beads dont start running in...:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mark McQuaide
06-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Not to mention the fact that water accumulates in the trunk lid when you wash it, then runs all over the nice clean back bumper later.

Thomas C Potter
06-13-2003, 01:17 PM
On my to- do- list is to remove the lip trim and see if a bead of silicone or something can help, at least get water to both ends.

TP

cyclone03
06-13-2003, 02:32 PM
I thought it was just me that this drove up the wall.

I don't think silicone is the answer though because you don't want the water to puddle behind the trim next to the trunk lid either.
My "fix" is to allways have a towel in the trunk to wipe up the mess.
I also carry a towel in the car to wipe off the water that pours in off the roof when I open the doors in the rain.

RCSignals
06-13-2003, 02:34 PM
If the trunk is wet from rain, just wipe down the edge before opening it fully.

If it's wet from washing, you should be drying the car anyway.

Thomas C Potter
06-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Wrong, this is water trapped in the trim piece.

Bigdogjim
06-13-2003, 02:43 PM
I thought I was nuts. Glad to see I am not :alone: You do get wet. :mad:

RCSignals
06-13-2003, 02:44 PM
yes, and wiping down that trim piece with a cotton towel will absorb the water. Open the trunk slightly, give it a wipe.

Works for me anyway.

I've never had a car that didn't drip some water when wet.

cyclone03
06-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Bigdogjim
I thought I was nuts. Glad to see I am not :alone: You do get wet. :mad:

BDJ your not alone,but who knows you could,in fact be nuts. :)

Mark McQuaide
06-13-2003, 03:14 PM
You can dry that trim piece and the license plate area all you want, but drive the car, and there's dried water trails all over the bumper the next time you look at it.

Now, this is a small price to pay for the privilege of owning a MM, but still, it's something Ford needs to address.

jrzygrl
06-13-2003, 04:45 PM
I always wanted to start a thread on this but, thought you'd all laugh your a-es off at me. I hate the trunk/water thing. I lay a towel on each bumper while drying the rest of the car to soak the annoying drips. Do you guys wipe the inside of the fuel door? Does anyone get water inside the rear doors after a wash?

Mad4Macs
06-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Don't forget the mirrors. Those things hold a quart of water each! They annoy me as much as the trunk-bumper-water connection. Whenever I wash, I have a small towel that I edge feed under the glass of the mirrors, hoping to sponge out the water that would otherwise be coating my doors and windows after I've dried and am driving away.
After all is said, though, she sure shines pretty when she's clean!!!

RF Overlord
06-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by jrzygrl
Does anyone get water inside the rear doors after a wash?

Jrzy:

I've noticed that water gets in on the scuff plate, and down the sides below the latch, but not actually inside the car...

Signed,
bunnylady's carwashboy

SFMarauder
06-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Same problem after a wash. The people at Zinio Products (west coast LA office) told me to try drying my car using a leaf blower. It really works gets all the cracks and crevices dry. Alot better since I started doing it. But it won't help the rain thing. :D

jrzygrl
06-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Yeah RF I guess that's what I meant, I end up spending a lot of time drying every nook and cranny. I'm asking for a California squeegie for my birthday!!!

Mark McQuaide
06-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Those CA Squeegies are great. The leaf blower sounds like a good idea -- I have a Toro "Super Blower" that puts out a 180 MHP wind - you have to brace yourself against that thing!!!

And yea, wash it, open the back doors, and there's a splash as all the water falls out. I've gotten into the habit of opening the doors and drying the door edges and jambs after each wash.

It ends up taking an hour and a half to wash it - and worth every minute :D :D :D

Logan
06-13-2003, 05:59 PM
10 points for Mark. :)

Leaf Blower's were just MADE to dry cars...

Bigdogjim
06-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Logan
10 points for Mark. :)

Leaf Blower's were just MADE to dry cars...

Now this is toooooo funny. I can see it now on my street they will go inside their house and roll on the floor laughing:help:

I realy don't want to give the wife a reason to call the doctor:P

too too funny:D :)

Bigdogjim
06-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Jrzy:

I've noticed that water gets in on the scuff plate, and down the sides below the latch, but not actually inside the car...

Signed,
bunnylady's carwashboy

Next time at the dealers get the body drain holes checked. The front one on my MM held a ton of water.:confused: :help:

jgc61sr2002
06-13-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Mark McQuaide
Those CA Squeegies are great. The leaf blower sounds like a good idea -- I have a Toro "Super Blower" that puts out a 180 MHP wind - you have to brace yourself against that thing!!!

And yea, wash it, open the back doors, and there's a splash as all the water falls out. I've gotten into the habit of opening the doors and drying the door edges and jambs after each wash.

It ends up taking an hour and a half to wash it - and worth every minute :D :D :D Mark - That's the only way to wash your car. Drying the door jams and edges makes the job complete.:up:

Patrick
06-13-2003, 08:59 PM
I thought about starting this thread. Glad you did. It is an annoying problem. When I wash MM I just use the trunk release button, Let it sit there, then use a towel to wipe off excess, then use Eagle one spray polish to finish the rest. But when I have to put stuff in the trunk in the rain it is a pain in the butt, water driping in the trunk! So I just put everthing in the back seat.

rct
06-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Glad to see this thread. The Crown is the same as the Marauder. They both drive me nuts, I am glad I am not alone. I'll just carry a towel I guess.

Thomas C Potter
07-20-2003, 06:46 PM
I finally got around to applying some flowable windshield silicone, vertical (lense to blue lid) came out gorgeos, horz pretty good. Garden hose test indicates that 95% of drips are gone!!! I did the entire width of lid and vert next to lenses

TP

gdmjoe
07-20-2003, 07:24 PM
Leaf-blower does work, however, it does tend to stir-up dust/dirt (really noticeable on a black finish). For the past 20years I've always used an air compressor and with a fine tipped blow nozzle; you have more control of the air volume (nozzle trigger) and can pin-point those annoying areas - mirrors, window trim, trunk lid molding, around the lights, door handles, hood/trunk "gutters", grill, trim molding, door jams, etc.

The routine is to:
1) Use the water blade.
2) Use air compressor on all the "problem" spots.
3) Chamois.

*Ya, I know - anal. :D

- gDMJoe ( 2003 CV LX Sport - black on black in flint )

uwsacf
07-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Mine leaks out holes in the bottom trim piece and drives me nuts...

And since it gets washed and spray Zaino'd every day - it is a major pita...

Thomas C Potter

I don't understand where you put the silicone....

In the holes in the trim??? (would hold the water and rust the lid)

or 'tween the reverse lite and the lid???

Good pic - I just don't see the silicone!!!

'Course I'm old and blind......

crom
07-22-2003, 07:37 PM
I guess I'm just anal too. I make my boyz stand there with a towel and soak it up for an hour or so until the water is done running out

TAF
07-23-2003, 01:55 PM
O.K. So we weren't the FIRST to have the idea of using thhe leafblower to dry the car....from Zaino's new site
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/photos/3seriesreflect.jpg

Thomas C Potter
08-07-2003, 11:49 AM
UW, hope this picture explains it. No disassembly required. Flowable silicone, clean area, apply to vert with trunk up. Having lived with now for a month, I'd say 95% effective after rain.

TP

Thomas C Potter
08-15-2003, 07:23 PM
CS, I could not reply to your Priv Mess, yes this works very well, just gotta be patient during application.

TP

duhtroll
08-17-2003, 10:27 AM
I tried drying it with the trunk open and going over the edges of the trunk and underneath the trunk lid and it seemed to work - did not have any "runs" after that. Will try it again the next time I wash.

Did anyone else try this and did it work?

Thanks,
-A

jgc61sr2002
08-17-2003, 10:53 AM
duhtroll - Thats the only way to do it. Do the same with the doors and hood. I also wax the edges of the doors,hood and trunk. Whatever is clearcoated gets wax.

MERCMAN
08-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Hey Thomas, where did you get the emblem? I have not see one of those