PDA

View Full Version : Impala SS 2004 Ad on TV and Flash on Chev Website

engine23ccvfd
06-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Apparently Chevrolet is getting there act together to sell there SS line of cars. Last night while watching TV I saw an ad for the new Imapala SS. Today I went to Chevrolet.com and saw they have alot of info already up for a car that will not release until Fall 2003...

MAD-3R
06-13-2003, 11:20 AM
My mother had a Bonniville SSEi with the exact same configuration as that Impala. Yeah, it was fast, but you know what? After two years, one of the front suspention rods was bent and deformed. It's just two much power and torque for that heavy a car, on a FWD platform.

engine23ccvfd
06-13-2003, 11:35 AM
I agree they claim 285Torque at front wheels...seems to me after a while the axle would take off w/o you..Imagine if it was a rear wheel drive. It would be a nice ride!

MAD-3R
06-13-2003, 11:38 AM
RWD and a minor resyling, and i would have been seriously concidering it.

Thomas C Potter
06-13-2003, 01:20 PM
And the upcoming Bonneville GXP(??) looks sweet. 4L Northstar with serious factory handling package, nice low stance. But I prefer my Blue MM, perfect size and rwd.

TP

RancorKeeper
06-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
My mother had a Bonniville SSEi with the exact same configuration as that Impala. Yeah, it was fast, but you know what? After two years, one of the front suspention rods was bent and deformed. It's just two much power and torque for that heavy a car, on a FWD platform.

I would normally agree except I know that the Northstar Caddies do very well with a powerful motor in a FWD configuration. Generally speaking, they don't exhibit increased front-end suspension wear and they handle quite well. I'm betting that's the difference between the various engineering divisions at GM.

jgc61sr2002
06-13-2003, 07:23 PM
It's still a front wheel drive car. RWD is the only way to go. IMHO.

RCSignals
06-14-2003, 02:14 PM
Look up the specs on that new Northstar engine for RWD application, and you'll see that despite the media drool all over it as a performer, our DOHC 4.6 is as good, if not better.