PDA

View Full Version : Ss Impala Returns !!

mungce
06-14-2003, 06:05 AM
...Chevy has responed to the demands of buyers to put the Impala SS back on the market. 04 will bring a supercharged SS, rear whell drive(?) V-8 ( size unkown to me ).

Marauder owners......... let's NOT return to the SS Vrs. MM wars !! After all, it's a world of choices and those who choose to drive a Chevy, or a Ford, Mo-Par, whatever............, for me, I am keeping my MM for the rest of my life......but I will admit, I would test drive the new SS, just for kicks !!

Jim Williams
Ft.Worth, Tx

sprtyworty
06-14-2003, 06:17 AM
I think it is the V6 3800 supercharged engine currently in the GM line, and still a front wheel drive. The Pontiac Grand Prix is probably the same car as the Impala as the platforms are a similar size. I could be wrong however if this is true the Impala will not be what it was and be no threat to the MM as far as performance, handling comfort ......

Heavy D.
06-14-2003, 06:17 AM
It looks like it's going to be built on the current Impala platform, hence front wheel drive. The 2004 Pontiac GTO will be the one to test drive, IMO...

mungce
06-14-2003, 07:03 AM
............if you read my post you will note that I only know what I saw on a new TV commercial !! Hey, I like Impalas, and have owned 6 of them ( from a 57 - 89 ) in my 50 years of sucking in air and spittin' it out ! Just informing you guys of whats in store for the new cars out from the big 3.

Jim Williams
Ft. Worth, Tx

Ross
06-14-2003, 08:35 AM
When the new ones come out, they should be fun to race against!

b4z
06-14-2003, 10:36 AM
'04 SS is FWD. 240 hp 280 ft lbs torque. 14.6 lbs per hp
'04 GP 260 hp 280 ft lbs torque. 13.5 lbs per hp
'03 Marauder 302 hp 318 ft lbs torque. 14.2 lbs per hp
'04 CTS 255 hp 250 ft lbs torque 14.1 lbs per hp

I will still test drive the Marauder, but I think the CTS gives me the refinement, body structure, handling and performance I have been looking for.

JGaignat
06-14-2003, 10:50 AM
I saw one at the Kansas City Auto Show in March. Unless they make major changes to it.......It looks just like the current Impala's look now. It has the Impala SS logo on the lower part of the front doors, (like the 94-96 had on the rear fenders.) You couldn't tell there was anything special about the car until you got right up on it. Nothing really sat it apart from a regular black Impala with a spoiler. It had a V-6 engine.

RCSignals
06-14-2003, 02:37 PM
It's just marketing hype about this "new" SS. If there is any "war" it will probably be more "real" Impala SS owners against this new breed of Impala SS wanna be than with Marauder owners.

b4z, the choice is up to you. Personally I don't think the CTS touches the Marauder in refinement, body structure, handling and performance , but it has to be what makes you smile behind the wheel.

marauderhombre
06-14-2003, 02:52 PM
A new CTS? you should try the new Lincoln LS for refinement, handling as well as performance! The Marauders and the LS's should not even be considered "comparable" to the CTS! (or the Impala) There is no comparison!!!! We rule this world, and GM knows it! Come on guys back me up here. All American car lines are nice in their own area of expertise, but The Big Blue Oval sits as King of the Hill!

mungce
06-14-2003, 03:46 PM
ROTFOLOMO !!!!!

Jim Williams
Ft.Woth, Tx

b4z
06-14-2003, 04:04 PM
Just so you guys know, I own a '01 Impala LS.
Neither the Impala SS or the Grand Prix will be on my shopping list.
Lack of structural rigidity, FWD, coarseness of pushrod V6, no LSD, impact harshness over small bumps,etc. Are the reasons.
That leaves the Marauder and the CTS.
And I will not buy a SUV. LOL.

b4z
06-14-2003, 04:22 PM
More GM FWD info:
I have owned 2 W body cars. A '99 Intrigue DOHCw 35K miles and my current '01 Impala LS with 42K miles.

They both had clip clop suspensions. Intermediate Steering shafts replaced or lubed. The Impala had the warped intake manfold issue at 16K miles, an $800 repair if not under warranty!!!!
Both have had warped front rotors that have had to be turned then replaced.
Noisy speedometer, power windows, non start/rough start condition, crankshaft sensor replacement, battery, wet vacuum line, exhaust system replacement, etc. etc. yadda yadda yadda.
The Impala has been the better car, but I do not believe that these cars are the basis for a performance sedan.
Anybody who buys the GP has lost their mind and the IMpala SS is not much better.
Heck, these cars will cost 30K+!!!

What would you rather have?

Like I said the CTS is sweet, I drove it Wed. and it is one buttoned down car. Tight suspension with NO harshness. It drove incredibly well.
And the 5 speed auto was a dream. I told you guys almost a year ago that the 5 speed from the Aviator would transform the Marauder, ,and after driving the CTS I am positive of it.

TAF
06-14-2003, 04:34 PM
I've said it before...I'll say it again.

That CTS looks like a "Johnny-Cab" from "Total Recall"

greggash
06-14-2003, 08:02 PM
I have driven the 04 pontiac V6 3800 supercharged (Grand prix).
it handled OK...but thats not what you want to here abbout.

Off the line it was possible to punch the gas and get wheel spin.
It was cool at first , then a total let down...it was a totaly computerized spin
abot 1 to 1.5 seconds of spin then grab and go...but not what I expected.
The car accelerated off the line well but it was a muted by a factory tune to keep it from being blown up.

I am sure that this same powerplant will be used in the '04 Impala SS
So big deal it has a programmed front wheel drive spin...
but
The Maruder kicks butt..period and with the addition of a Supercharger next year...mine should just use up rear tires in a heart beat...I can hardly wait!!!!

merc406
06-14-2003, 09:47 PM
What will set the SS apart from the Marauder is------Advertizing,,, a practice that L/M left the Marauder to do on it's own from the back lot their the dealer's.
The only TV spots early on for the Marauder were on TNN and Speed, ( which were damn good ads) the SS I have already seen on more than 8 different stations.

RCSignals
06-14-2003, 10:13 PM
merc406
You are right, we will see lots of "mainstream" advertising for this new Impala SS, and the GTO.
We see lots of good advertising for the CTS, and the hummer H2. Both are selling pretty well, apparently, although I still haven't seen a CTS on the road around here. First one I saw was about a month ago, near Seattle.

merc406
06-14-2003, 10:16 PM
They sell like Big Mac's around here.

RCSignals
06-14-2003, 10:21 PM
b4z
it's funny how GM is somehow able to keep a lot of those issues relatively quiet. If a specific Ford had all those problems there'd be special web sites calling for Ford's head, cries of "I'll never buy another Ford product" etc.

I'm sure the CTS is a nice driving car. After all it is a Cadillac, and they spent a lot of development time on it.
I just really wasn't impressed with the one I saw at the local new car show. It supposedly represents Cadillac's return, to performance, luxury, etc, to me it didn't have "it", compared to the Lincoln LS and Town car, which supposedly "don't" have "it".

mungce
06-15-2003, 01:40 AM
..............and that's a fact, Jack !

Jim Williams
Ft.Worth,Tx

Geo
06-15-2003, 02:16 AM
B4z said: '04 CTS 255 hp 250 ft lbs torque 14.1 lbs per hp.

The V-Series CTS will have the 405hp LS6 from the Z06 'Vette and a 6spd manual.

I have also heard a rumour that the '05 may get 500hp with the engine bumped to 6.0L.

By then, though, the new RWD Seville will have come out and that should be the one most of us will like.

b4z
06-15-2003, 03:26 AM
greggash,

The Grand prix has the 3800 Series III, the Impla will have the Series II. How dumb is that?
Series III has gone back to an aluminum intake manifold and plenum. The Series II has the thermoplastic intake like mine. They warp and leak coolant, sometimes into the engine.
Series II also requires premium fuel.

My '01 Impala will spin the tires from a stop. The convertor flashes to it's stall speed,the tires spin, then stop almost immediately.

Turn the trac control off on the GP and it will blow the tires off.

b4z
06-15-2003, 03:37 AM
RCSignals,

There is a TSB on the intakes on specific year cars with the 3800 engine. They say mine is not involved. Which is total BS.
There are at least 6 people on the edmund's boards that have had the warped manifold. several of them have been out of warranty.
Most of them warp before the car gets out of warranty.
GM continues to engineer enhancements to the 3800(read cut costs).

The intermediate steering shaft (ISS)issue affects almost every front wheel drive GM car. It is heard as a popping sound. GM replaced thousands of them.
They now have a ISS lube kit. The ISS looks like 2 large U joints.The ISS is taken out of the car. Grease is inserted into it with a syringe. The mechanic then moves it apart and back together 20 or so times.

These are 2 items that should never need replacing.

Did you know that GM requires a complete transaxle fluid flush at 30K miles?

Next car will be RWD.

tomd
06-15-2003, 07:24 AM
Chevy does know how to advertise the “Impala SS” I've seen the commercial 4 times in the last 3 days! Maybe Ford should take a lesson from Chevy!

01 Interceptor
06-15-2003, 07:03 PM
The new SS version of the "Wimpala" as some of us LT1 guys refer to it as, is just a bad way to use the SS name. It's up there with the Monte Carlo. We RWD guys have to stick together!

Make mine big, black, and bada$$!

b4z
06-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Might be a bad use of the name but a stock '04 Impala SS will beat a stock '96 SS.
It takes a lot of V8 RWD power to make for up the extra 700lbs.
Something you guys are well aware of.

RCSignals
06-15-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by b4z
Might be a bad use of the name but a stock '04 Impala SS will beat a stock '96 SS.

According to the dyno results of 210.8 RWHP for a '96 Impala SS on Horse Power TV, it will

RCSignals
06-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Geo

By then, though, the new RWD Seville will have come out and that should be the one most of us will like.

most of us?

Jeff
06-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by TAF
I've said it before...I'll say it again.

That CTS looks like a "Johnny-Cab" from "Total Recall"

I KNEW I'd seen that car before!:D

01 Interceptor
06-16-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by b4z
It takes a lot of V8 RWD power to make for up the extra 700lbs.
Something you guys are well aware of.

That is true...gotta give it up for power to weight ratio! I am still saddened that they abandoned the LS1 powered "Wimpala" (not so wimpy anymore) SS. There is only one that I know of seen here. (http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0303GMH_homerun/) Sadly this specific car will never again see the public streets and sits in GM's "Toy Box"...full of cars that should have been, and some that should never.:D

b4z
06-16-2003, 05:37 AM
I wonder how long that FWD transaxle would last with a LS1 sitting on top of it?
Can you say smokey burnout?
can you say massive torque steer?

mdmarauder
06-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Sorry, but the CTS is as ugly as they come. I would much rather have an 03' Linc. LS V8 that new motor is strong.

mrmark
06-16-2003, 07:28 AM
Chevy will not produce a RWD, V8 SS Impala and you can take that to the bank. GM is a "follower" not a leader. If it hasn't been done before, GM sure ain't gonna do it (all except that hedious "Avalanche" idea). Short on the Corvette and possibly the Cadillac, GM will not do anything out of the ordinary. They are a "also ran" company. If you want inspired technology look at Dodge. They are always doing cool stuff. FMoCO also does some good stuff. The SVT Focus and the new Dodge "Supercharged??"Neon are two platforms that are going to get the "Too Fast, Too Furious" crowd jumpin. The '04 Impala SS? Don't make me laugh.

marauderhombre
06-16-2003, 09:08 AM
The new LS is sweet! I went to the good guys nationals here in Indy yesterday with a good customer of mine, he bought one of the new LS's from me and he drove it to the event. Just before you get to IRP, there is a speed shop that is specializing in CTS's
(upgrades) a couple of CTS's were pulling out of the parking lot when we came by, they came up on us pretty fast, so my friend told me to hold on, and he left these guys like they were standing still. We caught some traffic as we pulled in to the event, and they followed us in and parked next to us!
We get out, and one of the guys in the CTS asks us who tuned the LS, my buddy laughed, looked at me, turned back to the guy and said "Henry" The kid asked "Henry who?" He tells him "Henry Ford,...... it's bone stock!" These guys jaws dropped,... their faces were classic... and one said "you have to be kidding me!"
John, told him "nope,..... sorry!"
Some people will never learn!

RF Overlord
06-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by mrmark
Chevy will not produce a RWD, V8 SS Impala and you can take that to the bank. GM is a "follower" not a leader. If it hasn't been done before, GM sure ain't gonna do it (all except that hedious "Avalanche" idea).

So how do you 'splain the new GTO? It's a RWD V8...wouldn't be THAT hard to put some new sheet metal on it and call it an Impala SS...or even a Buick Gran Sport!!!! (Oh, Lord... :rolleyes: )

and I agree with you 100% on the Avalanche...(don't forget the Aztek, too...hideous indeed)...though I did see in the local paper that they're making all that awful cladding optional for 2004...takes $600 off the price...at least they're making an effort to correct their mistakes...

RCSignals
06-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by b4z
I wonder how long that FWD transaxle would last with a LS1 sitting on top of it?
Can you say smokey burnout?
can you say massive torque steer?

Can you say SNAP?

RCSignals
06-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by marauderhombre
We get out, and one of the guys in the CTS asks us who tuned the LS, my buddy laughed, looked at me, turned back to the guy and said "Henry" The kid asked "Henry who?" He tells him "Henry Ford,...... it's bone stock!" These guys jaws dropped,... their faces were classic... and one said "you have to be kidding me!"
John, told him "nope,..... sorry!"
Some people will never learn!

That illustrates the power and effect of GMs advertising of the CTS.

b4z
06-16-2003, 12:17 PM
I think it illustrates the difference between a $45,000 car with 280 hp and a $35,000 car with 220 hp, soon to be 255hp.

Hardly a fair comparision.

Maybe we should comapare the 48-50K CTS-V to the 45K Lincoln LS. 400hp vs. 280hp.

RCSignals
06-16-2003, 12:54 PM
not exactly b4z, they are comparing a Lincoln and Cadillac model that the manufacturers compare with each other, also a performance modified "$35,000 car with 220 (stock) hp" to an unmodified "$45,000 car with 280 hp"

From the thread, it's obvious the owners of the modified CTS fully expected their cars to outperform the little ol' LS.

Other than that, you're right

marauderhombre
06-16-2003, 01:28 PM
His LS had a sticker price of $43,050.00 minus rebates, If you want to compare apples to rotten bananas a base LS (v-6) has a MSRP of $32,945.00. To get an even playing field, you have to order a Luxury package on the CTS which puts the MSRP at $34,000.00 The V-6 is no slack, and it is not far behind the V-8 in performance