PDA

View Full Version : Water pump FAILURE!!! Not MM related...

BAD MERC
02-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I work with a guy whose 1999 Astro AWD had the water pump housing fracture and fall off into the radiator and wipe out the radiator, the fan blade and the shroud. It was professionally installed less than three months ago. There is an AC Delco rep that is going to look at the damage and determine the extent of their responsibility to the circumstantial damage.

Joe Walsh
02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
I work with a guy whose 1999 Astro AWD had the water pump housing fracture and fall off into the radiator and wipe out the radiator, the fan blade and the shroud. It was professionally installed less than three months ago. There is an AC Delco rep that is going to look at the damage and determine the extent of their responsibility to the circumstantial damage.

It looks like it fell off "Like a Rock!"

I guess he didn't buy the "professional" grade Chevy Truck!

My 4.3 Vortec V6 S10 Blazer went 200,000+ miles on the OEM water pump....but it did eat idler pulleys constantly!

fastblackmerc
02-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Catastrophic failure if I ever saw one.

JMan
02-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Whoever does the job needs to check the pulley alignment. I've never seen a pump fracture like that one from a misalignment though!

Good luck!

J

BAD MERC
02-03-2007, 03:10 PM
This application rides on he smooth side of the belt. Alignment would not be a problem. However, I have seen misaligned belts eat one whole rib off.
Whoever does the job needs to check the pulley alignment. I've never seen a pump fracture like that one from a misalignment though!

Good luck!

J

RoyLPita
02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Maybe an overtight tensioner can take a toll on pot metal.

Keep us posted.