PDA

View Full Version : Strange electrical prob on a RAM

RR|Suki
02-04-2007, 03:11 PM
ok so my lady's RAM is doing something funny... the altenator charges, the gauge is right and all... but the battery keeps going dead, I changed the battery last week with one from meijer (that's al that was open). And it too started to go dead all the time, so I went and got a replacment today and I put it in and wouldn't start the truck, I put a jumper on it and it started fine... has a new battery ever done this to anyone??? I drove it home... turned it off and startted right back up... gonna try it again in a few hours... anyone have any ideas of what could be up?? The altenator is charging, it's almost like the battery (the last one) just wouldn't crank the motor... it has 800CCA so more than enough in theory.. could it be meijer batteries just suck??? grounds maybe?
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

cyclopsram
02-04-2007, 03:14 PM
put an ammeter in line with the positive cable and with everything supposedly off see if there is a load... Trunk lite, hood lite, etc... RAM

cyclopsram
02-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Not knowing what kind of RAM.... aka RAMcharger, Rampage, Ram Truck etc... I chose trunk as a possibility... RAM

RR|Suki
02-04-2007, 03:30 PM
It's a 5.9L Ram 1500

RR|Suki
02-04-2007, 04:00 PM
ok so... strange thing, I turned the key just now and nothing... then I turned it again and again, and there was power, but there was just nothing... then it started right up... Maybe starter???

1 Bad Merc
02-05-2007, 02:14 AM
I had a problem like this with an old chevy. I put two new batteries in and it still was dead everytime I tried to start it. When I checked the gauges it indicated everything was fine and charging. It turned out that you cant really rely on the gauges inside the truck/car and that my alternator was going bad. I would take it somewhere and have them test the alternator and also check to see if their is some kind of electrical short that is draining the battery. I hope this helps.

Brad