PDA

View Full Version : More Proof that FORD is Clueless

Bluerauder
02-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Heard this morning on the news that FORD is gonna bring back the Taurus. Oh wait a minute --- they are just gonna bring back the Taurus name. According to the news report, the Ford Five Hundred is gonna be renamed as the Taurus. Yeah, that'll fool the consumer public. Maybe they shoulda just renamed it as the Toyota Camry. I think that this "decision" is more evidence that the leadership and the marketing folks at FORD are completely clueless. :rolleyes:

"Hey, Bill and Elena ..... maybe we could sell more 500's if we just changed the name." "Great idea .... now go down to HR to pick up your bonus check."

Sure seems like a pretty lame move to me. :o

Breadfan
02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Don't worry Charlie, they'll get tired of that name quick too and in a year rename it to "MK-T"

baltimoremm
02-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Why would they bring back a name like Taurus? I would much rather them bring back a more nostalgic name....Falcon, Fairlane...
While they're at it, they might as well bring back Pinto and Edsel too

Bluerauder
02-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Why would they bring back a name like Taurus?
I think the logic goes like this ......

Taurus = Sales Galore
500 = Weak sales

So, if ... 500 = Taurus
then 500 = Sales Galore

Not much of a chance that this will work. But it may just be a ploy to get people to come into the showroom to see the "new" Taurus. Maybe while they are there, they might actually see something that they like.

magindat
02-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
The should have RELEASED the 500 or the Fusion under the Taurus name!

So lemme get this straight...
They got bunuses for naming everything with an 'F' as the first letter. That was pure marketing GENIUS! Now they'll bonus again for doing what they should have done in the first place?! I'm in the wrong job!

dwasson
02-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Misdirected

the_pack_rat
02-06-2007, 08:32 AM
So the "F" fetish for naming their cars is coming to an end ?.

And Quagmire was really hoping to be the first in line for a Ford Fornicater too.

JonW
02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Ford has repeatedly proven that they are clueless. That's why my last new car was a Charger and my next new car will be a Challenger.

Vortex
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
To be honest, its a better late than never move. They should have named it the Taurus in the first place. Maybe folks are like me and sick of cars with names like 500, 6, MXZ, ZMX et al. While they are at it they should rename the Freestyle a Taurus and just have it be the Taurus wagon. A small step, but at least its in the right direction.

Master
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Personally, I think that with the original Taurus heritage, they should have made the Freestyle and 500 more cutting edge and then used the Taurus name. I remember in the 80s when the Taurus came out. It was really something back then. Just like the jellybean Tempos. Nothing else on the road looked like them, but not in a bad way. People ate them up.
In 2007, to just throwing the Taurus name on the 500 as it looks now would be doing a diservice to the name. Take a very popular concept car (like the 500 was originally), change NOTHING from the concept look, and call it the Taurus. Then it might sell the way you want it too.
Taking the original 500 concept, getting great reviews, then dumbing it down so much that you can't distinguish it from everything else on the road accomplishes nothing. What a waste, in fact, of the effort put into the concept car in the first place.
My 2c in tidy rant form.

quota
02-06-2007, 11:43 AM
At least they will not name it "Marauder" !

Marauder2005
02-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Henry is turning in his grave right now....

Dr Caleb
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Henry is turning in his grave right now....

They didn't bury Old Henry. They decontented his hereafter, and just left him in the forest for the wolves.

Mach1
02-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I think its a very good idea, and better late than never. I predict sales of the former 500 will be up by at least 30% for 07.
Based on the name change alone.

The 500 name was a mistake.

Joe Walsh
02-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Heard this morning on the news that FORD is gonna bring back the Taurus. Oh wait a minute --- they are just gonna bring back the Taurus name. According to the news report, the Ford Five Hundred is gonna be renamed as the Taurus. :o

Hey!
I was just complaining in the "Ford posts worst loss in history" thread about Ford dropping the 'TAURUS' name when it was only the best selling sedan for years
and had great name recognition.
I think that the '500' should have been the redesigned 'Taurus' from the outset.
I ran an '89 Taurus wagon for 247,000 miles and have a very positive reaction to the name Taurus.
Give me enough influence and I'll get Ford straightened out...:D

Bruce Wayne
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM
When is the new cougar going to be unleashed on us,starved for a real car ,ford guys? The interceptor is my next ride.

Mad4Macs
02-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Moderators? Can we rename this thread "Bold Moves? :rolleyes:
Bold Moves... The Shell Game. :confused:

Mike Poore
02-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Moderators? Can we rename this thread "Bold Moves? :rolleyes:
Bold Moves... The Shell Game. :confused:

Naaa, just start another one. I'll bring the Buttermilk. :D

TheDude
02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Call it what you want, but a P.O.S. is a P.O.S. The name change will not improve anything.

TheDude

the_pack_rat
02-06-2007, 07:01 PM
One thing a few may have forgotten ... & I was only a child back then.

The Firestone 500 radial tire.

Of all the past names Ford could have dusted off ... they use "500" ... something that was related to tons of deaths & lawsuits.

Didn't they take enough of a beating with the Wilderness AT fiasco ?.

Still recovering from the Willderness AT fiasco ... & they resurrect the name 500.

While one may have nothing to do with the other ... it wasn't exactly a wise move PR wise IMHO, in addition to shelving the name people came to know & buy a ton of(Taurus).

Makes ya' wonder if they ever thought about a replacement for the CVPI that would be named Pinto.

:rolleyes:

(yes most of us know the CVPI & any Panther was never really flawed in that aspect - just a bunch of media hype).

While they should have kept the Taurus name from the get go ... it's more scary that they need to bring it back just to sell the 500 platform. Are we as people really that stupid ?. Badged as a 500 makes the car something we wouldn't even consider ... but simply puting a Taurus badge back on it, makes us whip out our check books ?.

Sometimes I wonder where the world will be in 50 years. More & more better technology out the wazoo, but even less common sense then we have today.

Marauderjack
02-07-2007, 04:14 AM
OK....So they make the "OLD" 500 the "NEW" Taurus.....sales pick up and financials begin to see daylight!!:beer:

Now the "500" name is free to use in another GREAT project......A "HOPPED UP" CV with 5.4 and a blower....TADA..........Introd ucing the ALL NEW FORD 500 MUSCLE CAR!!!!!:D

(Alarm clock sound).......Dream over......Oh Well (Sigh)????:(

Marauderjack:rolleyes:

Bluerauder
02-07-2007, 07:56 AM
OK....So they make the "OLD" 500 the "NEW" Taurus.....Now the "500" name is free to use in another GREAT project......
See, even fans of FORD are confused over the current name ..... :rolleyes:

It's the Ford "Five Hundred". You won't find any numbers on the nameplate.

I still find it hard to believe than anyone who wasn't interested when it was a "Five Hundred" would be interested in it as a "Taurus".

Leadfoot281
02-07-2007, 11:28 AM
To go along with the "new" name, Ford should at least give it a restyle. Nothing major, just a little something to distinguish itself from the Five hundred. Perhaps some Taurus tail lights and grill.

The average slightly informed car buyer (not us) won't know the difference between a resyled Five Hundred and a "New" Taurus.

I'm not saying the current styling is either good or bad, I'm saying look at history. For example; The Cadillac Cimmaron. Smaller Cadillacs weren't a bad idea, but sticking a different grill on a Cavalier didn't work.

Look what happened to Oldsmobile and Plymouth. Too much "badge engineering".

I'm just disapointed in how the news ran the story yesterday. Instead of saying "Ford brings back the Taurus!" they said "Ford re-names slow selling Five Hundred as Taurus". Lame.

Shora
02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm just disapointed in how the news ran the story yesterday. Instead of saying "Ford brings back the Taurus!" they said "Ford re-names slow selling Five Hundred as Taurus". Lame.

Lame on Ford. The news was correct and should not play dumb like Ford thinks we are with a simple name change.

Also, they are redesigning the front end with a Fusion like front grill/ lights, dropping the CVT option, and adding 60 hp.

Will it be enough? I hope so but doubt it.

magindat
02-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Lame on Ford. The news was correct and should not play dumb like Ford thinks we are with a simple name change.

Also, they are redesigning the front end with a Fusion like front grill/ lights, dropping the CVT option, and adding 60 hp.

The CVT WITH the 60 extra ponies would be quite a runner...

Master
02-07-2007, 01:20 PM
60hp and no CVT will likely be meaningless to the average buyer. They just want reputation and resale and a decent looking (not agressive, mind you) car.
As for performance enthusiasts, look at the Cougar - it would eat rice for breakfast with either the 4 cyl or the 3.0 5 speed. Look at the Focus - a great handler and very competitive on the track. Comfortable and efficient. Yet, where are the sales? Its almost as if there is a stigma attached to buying North American cars with today's youth. We really need to get out there and kick import ass and show the kids that the Asian Market does NOT own the rights to sport compacts.

Agent M79
02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
I'd like to see a 'new' ruggedized 'Taurus' wagon with AWD ala Subaru Outback.

mrjones
02-07-2007, 02:41 PM
I'd like to see a 'new' ruggedized 'Taurus' wagon with AWD ala Subaru Outback.

There was actually a MERCURY(!!!) concept (maybe the Himalaya?) one of these a few years ago. They had a Mercury Sable wagon, lifted, AWD, side body cladding, etc., much like the Outback or XC70. I really liked the concept version and don't know why they never came out with the real thing. But then again, I love the current Taurus wagon.

I looked, but haven't yet found a picture of the car. Mercury has had some cool concept cars over the years. Check the ones out listed here, it should keep you busy and entertained for a while

http://www.carstyling.ru/concept.asp?man=all

Mach1
02-07-2007, 09:14 PM
See, even fans of FORD are confused over the current name ..... :rolleyes:

It's the Ford "Five Hundred". You won't find any numbers on the nameplate.

I still find it hard to believe than anyone who wasn't interested when it was a "Five Hundred" would be interested in it as a "Taurus".

Naturally, car guys like us won't be fooled by the change in name only, but when it comes to the average buying public.....thats a different matter entirely. That's why I think this is a very good decision by Ford. Taurus name recognition is very good when compared to the Five Hundred name. When it comes to marketing, recognition is half the battle. When people think of good, solid transportation, they think Taurus, Impala, Grand Prix, Camry, Accord etc. Once former Taurus owners test drive the new Taurus, and compare it to its competitors, I think they will be very impressed.

Joe Walsh
02-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Stopped into the local Ford Dealer showroom because my F150 work truck needed a new fuel pump. The original pump was humming louder and louder.
(The Service Dept. did NOT have a fuel pump in stock so they had to keep my truck for TWO days to change a fuel pump + fuel filter.
:hmmm:...let's see Ford has only sold about 20 Million F150 trucks, yet they don't have the fuel pump for an F150...WTF!!??...
No wonder why I NEVER take my Marauder back to the dealer for service.)

Anyway, I asked a salesman for info on the new SuperDuty trucks with the 6.4L sequential twin turbo Diesel V8.
Neat engine with 4 valve heads and 350 HP/650FT Lbs output.
BUT! The new front end, specifically the new headlights, is HIDEOUS!!!:puke:
They dropped the headlights way down onto the top of the bumper and it looks like absolute *****!!!
:eek:
They look like they slid down after they were mounted higher up.
I wouldn't buy one for that reason alone...****LY!

Once again, Ford has managed to screw up a good thing!

chrish
02-07-2007, 09:42 PM
1. will the montigo become the sable?
2. will the "new" taurus price be 40-50% off the sticker after 1 year?Of course in the used market

ncmm
02-07-2007, 09:49 PM
still my fave. . .

http://www.carstyling.ru/car.asp?id=1644

ncmm
02-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Stopped into the local Ford Dealer showroom because my F150 work truck needed a new fuel pump. The original pump was humming louder and louder.
(The Service Dept. did NOT have a fuel pump in stock so they had to keep my truck for TWO days to change a fuel pump + fuel filter.
:hmmm:...let's see Ford has only sold about 20 Million F150 trucks, yet they don't have the fuel pump for an F150...WTF!!??...

well they probably had 20 or 30 come in for replacement before you a day earlier :(

chrish
02-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I must be mind reading.....just got off the mercury site & the montigo is going to be the sable in 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW these guys are brilliant........

Leadfoot281
02-07-2007, 10:34 PM
My truck runs just fine....

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_I3010119.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/I3010119.jpg)
Cab corners and rocker panels are way over rated IMO.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_I3010123.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/I3010123.jpg)
Who says you need glass in a headlight?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_I3010122.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/I3010122.jpg)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_I3010120.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/I3010120.jpg)
Look Ma! No rocker panels! (BTW, the door is closed!)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_I3010010.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/I3010010.jpg)
Bring it on Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota! Built Ford tough!!!!
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_I3010008.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/I3010008.jpg)
You do realise that they make Toyotas out of these, right?

Ford does a lot of things right. Then and now. What ever happened to brand loyalty? I'd still buy Fords if they had the build quality of a Double Whopper w/cheese.

de minimus
02-07-2007, 11:02 PM
why didn't they make this one? I love this car....
http://www.carstyling.ru/car.asp?id=1353

Mad4Macs
02-08-2007, 04:01 AM
And it continues... buh-bye Freestyle, hello Taurus X!

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/12434/2008-ford-taurus-x.html

Hey Ford? Why not rename the GT? Call it "Taurus Xtreme Edition" and you'll sell a million of 'em 1st year, guaranteed.
(and PM MM.Net for where to send my royalty checks)

Marauder281
02-08-2007, 06:14 AM
I think the only good thing about the 500-Taurus name change is that if they end up replacing the Panther with the Aussie car, maybe Mulally will keep the names Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis because of their good reputation (other than the police fire BS) Maybe someday we'll have a chance of seeing another Marauder that isnt too far off (in theory) of our 03-04s. They should have atleast changed the body of the 500. It took me a year to get used to the name 500/Montego...now we have to call the current car the old name. They should have finished out the decade with the 500/Montego then blown us away with an all new Camry-fighting Taurus/Sable.

Bluerauder
02-08-2007, 07:43 AM
The Service Dept. did NOT have a fuel pump in stock so they had to keep my truck for TWO days to change a fuel pump + fuel filter.
I find this to be pretty typical at Ford Dealerships. Didn't notice it as much at the Lincoln-Mercury dealership that I used for 2 years. Seems that they really don't keep much in stock other than oil and air filters. Must be part of the "Just in Time" parts inventory reduction effort to cut costs. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, they have managed to pass along the cost to you -the consumer- in lost time, productivity, and use of your vehicle.

A couple weeks ago when I wanted to try out the hood bumpers/isolators from the Expedition .... they didn't have them in stock either. :( Took 3 days to get 'em but they are working fine. :up: Didn't have to leave the MM 'cause I did a self-install. ;)

dwasson
02-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Ford does a lot of things right. Then and now. What ever happened to brand loyalty? I'd still buy Fords if they had the build quality of a Double Whopper w/cheese.

Why? What does brand loyalty mean? Are you loyal to a nameplate? Cars that are built in certain locations? What are you loyal to? Ford isn't loyal to you. Ford doesn't even seem to be loyal to it's shareholders.

Leadfoot281
02-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Why? What does brand loyalty mean? Are you loyal to a nameplate? Cars that are built in certain locations? What are you loyal to? Ford isn't loyal to you. Ford doesn't even seem to be loyal to it's shareholders.

Here's how I buy a car.

Step 1. Walk around it. Determine that it is a Ford.
Step 2. Look under the rear end. Rear drive? If yes then,
Step 3. Pop the hood. V-8? If yes, then I start negotiations.

Simple. That's brand loyalty. I've never bought a bad car following these steps. 46k miles on the Marauder and I've never had a problem. It's been to the dealer once for a 30k mile tune-up. It took them 4 hours longer than expected...Oh-well. I slapped another 200 miles on their Focus loaner car and brought it back on fumes.:) (Nice car BTW.)

My Fords have been loyal to me. Why not return the favor? If I when out and bought a mopar because of some trivial BS that would just put me in the same boat as those guys that switch from The Packers to the Vikings over a feild goal. Don't ya just hate those guys?

Ford stock? No experiance there. Everything I have is in mutual funds and doing GREAT!

dwasson
02-08-2007, 10:53 AM
My Fords have been loyal to me. Why not return the favor? If I when out and bought a mopar because of some trivial BS that would just put me in the same boat as those guys that switch from The Packers to the Vikings over a feild goal. Don't ya just hate those guys?

If I was going to be exhibit brand loyalty to the company that had given me the best ownership experience I'd just be buying Hondas. Spending money on something should be more logical than sports. But even if it isn't, the Detroit Lions don't care about me either. "GO TIGERS! And take the Lions with you."

crouse
02-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Freestyle becomes the Taurus X

http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=484

I suppose the X stands for Crossover or X-Over. My wife drives a 2006 Freestyle. I like the grill on the 08 Taurus X and the 3.5 V6 would be nice.

Leadfoot281
02-08-2007, 01:16 PM
If I drove cars based strictly on customer service, I'd be walking since I've had bad experiances at bicycle shops. Maybe I wouldn't even do that since I've been treated like dirt at shoe stores too.

I don't get the up roar over Fords decision to re name the Five Hundred and Mercury Montego. Especially at this site.

Shouldn't we be discussing four door Chargers? At least they occasionally run on 4 or 6 cylinders just like the original.

How about the "new" Chrysler Aspen? If I was a Mopar fan, I'd be furious over this one. As it is though, I just laugh. Those silly Germans! Still don't own a history book apparently.

What's next? The return of the slant-six engine (aka the Leaning Tower of Power!), mod tops, and "rich Corinthian leather"?

And where is Richardo Montalbon in our time of need? He'd straiten this mess out!

Mike Poore
02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
If I drove cars based strictly on customer service, I'd be walking since I've had bad experiances at bicycle shops. Maybe I wouldn't even do that since I've been treated like dirt at shoe stores too.

I don't get the up roar over Fords decision to re name the Five Hundred and Mercury Montego. Especially at this site.

Shouldn't we be discussing four door Chargers? At least they occasionally run on 4 or 6 cylinders just like the original.

How about the "new" Chrysler Aspen? If I was a Mopar fan, I'd be furious over this one. As it is though, I just laugh. Those silly Germans! Still don't own a history book apparently.

What's next? The return of the slant-six engine (aka the Leaning Tower of Power!), mod tops, and "rich Corinthian leather"?

And where is Richardo Montalbon in our time of need? He'd straiten this mess out!

John, you and Dan (dwasson) are brothers, right?
Without question, in my book, the best stuff on MM.net. :toast:

gonzo50
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
All you Ford 500 owners, here is something to think about.:banned:

According to the owners of this Ford 500, they were supposed to be good to go and not be affected by the recall. :help: :flamer:

Look for yourselves at the web page attached......
http://www.wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=6053802&nav=0qq6

Car Fire Shuts Down I-95

What started as a trip to Florida ended as a nightmare ride on I-95 for two Hilton Head Island couples and shut down traffic near the Effingham - Chatham County line for part of the afternoon.

Donna Gall pointed to where she was sitting in what was once her car.

"Right in front," she said, looking at what was left of her 2005 Ford 500.

"Oh my goodness!" said Lori Winslow, who was sitting in the back seat. "The flames were about that close to my head," she said, gesturing within six inches of the back of her head, "so I was panicking."

Gall and Winslow, along with their husbands, were driving to Orlando for a trade show when something went terribly wrong.

"We started smelling something that smelled like burning, something burning," said Gall. "At this point, we noticed all the lights in the car dashboard suddenly lit up."

Her husband Dave was in the driver's seat.

"All the warning lights came on and it erupted into flames," he said. "We just got over and got out as quickly as we could."

"We turned around and there were flames coming from the car," added Gall.

"I called 911 right away," her husband explained, "but we're in an awkward area to get response and by the time somebody got here, it was totally engulfed in flames."

The car was also pouring fuel onto the road. Georgia State Patrol troopers and Port Wentworth firefighters closed the road, backing up southbound traffic for miles, but they were concerned about letting anyone get too close.

"The entire car was on fire," said master firefighter Patrick Hauger. "It was probably 15 - 20 feet in the air. With these modern cars, some of the rotors and things can fly off, so with police shutting down the road, it was a major ordeal. Especially with these cars with plastic fuel tanks. They don't explode like most people think they do. They actually melt away. What you get is a fuel fire instead of just the car burning."

The Galls and Winslows are just relieved no one was hurt.

"We're all OK and that's the main thing," said Donna Gall. "That's what we're concerned about," added Lori Winslow.

The Ford Motor Company issued a recall on the fuel tank strap on certain 2005 Ford 500 models, but the Galls said they were told it didn't affect their car.

dwasson
02-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Well, that's a logical leap that gives me whiplash. Customer service is the ONLY thing that should matter. Why would anyone choose to spend money with someone who has treated them badly?

Bluerauder
02-08-2007, 02:19 PM
All you Ford 500 owners, here is something to think about.:banned:

I believe that gas tank strap issue also affected the 2005 Ford Freestyle.

Leadfoot281
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Well, that's a logical leap that gives me whiplash. Customer service is the ONLY thing that should matter. Why would anyone choose to spend money with someone who has treated them badly?

Forget customer service. Would you drive an unreliable POS if they had great customer service? I wouldn't and that's why I drive Fords. Spending money at places with poor customer relations is an un avoidable part of life.

As far as customer service goes, I have two local Ford dealers. One 25 miles away and the other is 55.

The closer one has a tiny waiting room that is decorated like a womens rest room with flowers, pretty pictures on the wall, and tables full of womens magazines. No remote for the TV either so you have to watch Oprah.

The other one has an '06 Ford GT in Gulf Oil team colors on the show room floor, a coffee maker that will whip up any style coffee you want (for free!) , a huge waiting room with car magazines on the tables, and the receptionist never buttons the top few buttons on her shirt (we're talking Cleavage City!). I doubt Heaven is this nice!

Guess which dealer gets my business! I don't know how they do it at Honda dealerships, but unless they can match this, I doubt I'll ever find out.

Life is full of choices. I live in the middle of no-where. Yet I have choices in where I take my rides for service. Not all dealerships are created equal. Both change my oil in 30 mins. But one puts a smile on my face too. No complaints here!

dwasson
02-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Forget customer service. Would you drive an unreliable POS if they had great customer service? I wouldn't and that's why I drive Fords. Spending money at places with poor customer relations is an un avoidable part of life.

I disagree. Dealing with companies that treat you badly ensures that they will always treat you badly.

And the Honda dealer drives the wife to work and picks her up.

94_302
02-08-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't know if this was said yet, however the 500 will undergo a body change for the 08 MY that is when they will change the name to the Taurus. Not a bad plan imo.

Shora
02-08-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't know if this was said yet, however the 500 will undergo a body change for the 08 MY that is when they will change the name to the Taurus. Not a bad plan imo.

Yup, Post #24

Master
02-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't think that a defective gas strap has much to do with an electrical fire in the dash. Not sure how we made this leap. Aslo, Fords have been burning for years - many from the steering column area. Shouldn't come as any great surprise that the 500 is among the list of "burners".

RCSignals
02-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Considering that most of the public is clueless, and has no idea what the Ford 500 is, and no idea that Ford discontinued the Taurus, this move will probably work.
The car won't look like the 500, with it's new flat bar grille anyway.
So new model Taurus it is. It will be the best Taurus ever.

Master
02-09-2007, 05:32 AM
No, the original SHO with Yamaha V-6 and 5 speed was the best Taurus ever. This could be a whole new thread unto itself. I'd be driving a Taurus and not a Marauder now if Ford hadn't screwed the 2nd gen SHO up so badly.

Agent M79
02-09-2007, 05:53 AM
The Taurus 500... 250HP + 250TQ = 500. There. I fixed it. May I be CEO now?

JonW
02-09-2007, 08:27 AM
The Taurus 500... 250HP + 250TQ = 500. There. I fixed it. May I be CEO now?

No. You're over-qualified.

RCSignals
02-10-2007, 01:33 AM
No, the original SHO with Yamaha V-6 and 5 speed was the best Taurus ever. This could be a whole new thread unto itself. I'd be driving a Taurus and not a Marauder now if Ford hadn't screwed the 2nd gen SHO up so badly.

Except that wasn't exactly the main line Taurus.
So this new may still be the best Taurus ever.

Master
02-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Agent M-70, you made me laugh for the first time since hockey today. Well done!

Master
02-10-2007, 05:18 PM
It could be the best one yet, but they'd best give us a REAL performance option for it. I'd be all over a 320hp, all-wheel-drive, 6 speed "500" or Freestyle.