PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard removal

RoNiN77
02-10-2007, 04:47 PM
When I bought my MM there was some annoying crud on the inside of the window over the guage cluster. Well, 2 years later I've gotten around to trying to clean it off. Problem is, I can't get the dash off. There are two bolts under the dash above the cluster, I removed them and was able to partially pull part of the front panel away from the dash...but the far sides won't budge. Has anyone removed the guage panel before? Thanks!!!

Drock96Marquis
02-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Pull the wood/CF dash trim pieces on both sides of the dash off by pulling them towards you.
Disconenct the rear defrost switch, trunk release (CVPI), clock, and traction control switch (depending on year and options) as you pull the pieces off. It is easiest to work from one side to anohter. Having the front doors open makes it easier, but is not needed.

Pull the radio out using 4 small finish nails, or preferebly, the $3 DIN removal tools.

Remove all the bolts securing the piece that surrounds the cluster and radio. Do not forget there are two bolts mounted on the under side of the instrument cluster 'hood'. You do not need to unbolt the ones on the passensger side for the trim/airbag.

Tilt the steering column all the way down.

Gently work the dash panel out, I liek to keep a rag on top of the column to prevent scratching. You need to disconnect the headlight switch and panel dim switch as you do this.

2 options:
1.)You can remove the 2 hex head screws on each side of the cluster shell, then you can disconenct the harnesses as you pull it out. - Then on a workbench you can unscrew the small brass heax head screws (with torx in center) around the perimeter to remove the clear lens.

2.) Remove the small brass heax head/torx screws around the perimeter while the cluster is still bolted/connected in the car. Then slide off the lens and gently work around the upper opening to get it out.

Personally, since you will have it apart I would recommend just putting in a new lens as well. They are cheap, like $13 my cost. Despite variances in p/ns - 03-04 MM, 92-05 CV and 95-05 GMQ analog gauge cluster lenses swap.
P/n: F2AZ-10887-A

JMan
02-10-2007, 05:11 PM
How's that for fast service! You go Derek!

J

fastblackmerc
02-10-2007, 05:40 PM
If you are working around the steering column (airbag) you might want to disconnect the battery. Don't want the airbag deploying in your face unnecessarily.

Drock96Marquis
02-10-2007, 06:01 PM
If you are working around the steering column (airbag) you might want to disconnect the battery. Don't want the airbag deploying in your face unnecessarily.

Really is no need to IMO. The airbag wiring is within the steering column and then goes right into the dash.
The steering column shrouds aren't going to be touched, and the cluster is away from the wiring.
Disconnecting the battery would require you to retrain your idle trims, radio settings (depending on how long it is disconnected), and adaptive transmission learning (04, though all 95-03 4r70w panthers have a little adaptive learning to them to adjust for friction material wear)

So, I say leave it alone. :)

RoNiN77
02-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Wow, thanks for the work on that!!! I'll try it out this weekend. Would you guys please keep an eye on this post?...I may have more questions. Thanks!!!