PDA

View Full Version : It's been a long time since my last hello!

woaface
02-11-2007, 01:57 AM
So far things are still going well. The Air Force is a wonderful place to be (as opposed to college where I believe now I would have gone to and failed out of after a lot of partying) Currently I'm at Camp Bullis, an Army post about 45 minutes north of Lackland AFB. Our last three weeks of training is done here where we learn ground combat skills. I just got here Friday so I still have roughly a month until graduation.

It's been busy busy in the last year and I haven't spend a lot of time here at all. I miss being here and think about it from time to time. I've been saving a lot of money but I probably won't buy a car any time soon.

I have orders to my first base too! I am spending 2 years in Germany at Ramstein AB!!! My job field deploys a lot, especially when it's not a Nuclear base (PRP bases.) I'll probably spend some time in the desert, possibly Iraq, but hopefully I'll get to do some other TDY while I'm there too and see something else. Security Forces has changed a lot over the last few years. We're not here just to protect air bases and let the Army do the rest. We learn convoys and crew-served weapons and all that jazz too!

So can any one tell me something new about Germany? I can't wait...I'm really excited. Hope all is well in the Marauder world! Tell me what's new here?

-James

Bradley G
02-11-2007, 02:15 AM
You did not miss anything, Stay focused, thanks for serving to protect us,the lights will be on when you get time to drop by.
Glad to hear your doing well James!
So far things are still going well. The Air Force is a wonderful place to be (as opposed to college where I believe now I would have gone to and failed out of after a lot of partying) Currently I'm at Camp Bullis, an Army post about 45 minutes north of Lackland AFB. Our last three weeks of training is done here where we learn ground combat skills. I just got here Friday so I still have roughly a month until graduation.

It's been busy busy in the last year and I haven't spend a lot of time here at all. I miss being here and think about it from time to time. I've been saving a lot of money but I probably won't buy a car any time soon.

I have orders to my first base too! I am spending 2 years in Germany at Ramstein AB!!! My job field deploys a lot, especially when it's not a Nuclear base (PRP bases.) I'll probably spend some time in the desert, possibly Iraq, but hopefully I'll get to do some other TDY while I'm there too and see something else. Security Forces has changed a lot over the last few years. We're not here just to protect air bases and let the Army do the rest. We learn convoys and crew-served weapons and all that jazz too!

So can any one tell me something new about Germany? I can't wait...I'm really excited. Hope all is well in the Marauder world! Tell me what's new here?

-James

Pat
02-11-2007, 03:57 AM
Woaface;

Ramstein AB is a headquarters base and a main air transportation hub.
Germany is about the same longitude as Wisconsin. There is also a major army base nearby.
I loved Germany when I was stationed there. The people were very friendly although sometimes they don't look it. Keep a positive attitude and make an attempt to learn their culture.

I loved the beer, and the food. So watch your weight, that stuff is rich. Oh, did I say I loved the beer? The Germans dress up in colorful attire as long as it's black.

One of the main complaints from young military members was that "there was nothing to do". Baloney. Get out of the barracks and sight see, the USO runs day trips all over Europe. Remember this is the cradle of western civilization. France sucks. The beer is great, I mentioned that already, right?

You must learn that there are different types of beer and each is served in it's own unique glass. That's a test question for when you get back.

Be glad you don't have a car over there, much too expensive, but the trains and buses serve admirably. Bikes are OK for running around the base.

The Germans love to stroll and have week end contests. Loads of fun and you get an elaborate medal (tin) but it's a collectable. Volksmarches.

The villages each have their own unique resturant/pub and serve a speciality veal steak call Schnitzel's. Really good with German beer.

Remember beer comes in liter bottles and you can get soused quickly.

Let someone else give you their perspective. Octoberfest's forever.

Make friends with a German national and you'll have a better experience.

Good Luck

Pat

JMan
02-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Bravo young man! You'll enjoy Germany. What Pat said about the food. Did he mention the BEER? Take a weekend pass sometime and go to Amsterdam. You might find that interesting . . .

Best of luck in you endeavors and great thanks from all us civi's for doing a rough job!

God Bless,

J

Bluerauder
02-11-2007, 06:40 AM

-James
First off, congrats James on your chosen career. :congrats: Sounds like you are doing well and learning your profession.

Germany was a very good assignment for me ..... twice. Ramstein AB is one of the largest, if not the largest, airbase in central Europe. It is located just outside the town/city of Kaiserslautern (we called it K-Town). The airbase is located astride one of the major autobahns providing quick access toward Luxembourg and France or in the opposite direction to Mannheim and Heidelberg. The K-town area has a large American military concentration (abeit probably smaller now than when I was there).

Major facilities there include the airbase, Vogelweh Military Community (US Army), and Landstuhl Hospital. My oldest son was born at Landstuhl. That's the hospital that many of the injured and wounded get evacuated to from Bosnia, Iraq or Afghanistan.

I think that you will enjoy Germany, its customs, and people. Remember to get out (off base) and soak up some of the local culture, food, and "beverages". There is lots to do for those that actively seek to enjoy their tour. If you get a chance, try to learn a little bit of the language. Doing so will go a long way in helping you get around. Don't be afraid to travel .... their train system is among the best in the world.

Stay away from the "Einsiedlerhoff Hotel" (also known as the Annabella House). ;)

Good Luck and Aim High !!! See you around, James !!! :D

Hotrauder
02-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Hello, James. Nice to hear from you! I am pleased but not surprised that you are doing well. I was never in Germany but my dad was not that comfy during WW2. It can be the experience of a life time for you now. Penny's cousin met a gal, married raised a family and has lived there ever since coming "home" only to visit. Thanks for your service, James. Dennis and Penny:D

Bigdogjim
02-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Sounds like you got things under control!

Enjoy Germany.

When you get back I should have the 300 lbs. of junk out of the trunk:rofl:

FordNut
02-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Great to hear from you James. I was at Ramstein for 2 years also. Great assignment, as NATO HQ it has excellent chow halls. I don't know if they still have the air show, there was an accident a few years after I left and I heard they quit them, but if they still have them, it's awesome.

In general, out on the economy the beer is great. They also have an annual wine fest similar to the Octoberfest. Rhine valley is where Ramstein is, it is a great wine region.

Ramstein isn't far from Switzerland or Paris, you ought to take advantage of the opportunities for tours from Ramstein to these places. Maybe go on a skiing trip to the Alps. Sometimes they have train tours to Berlin. Go to tours of the castles, quite interesting. They used to have a fireworks display at one of the castles in the region, I can't remember the name of the castle right now.

Best advice I can give is to get out and see everything you can, don't squander the opportunity by hanging out on-base all the time.

dwasson
02-11-2007, 09:09 AM
There are some great auto museums in Germany. Definately get off base when you can. Be sure to visit Belgium too. Silly people but the best beer in the world. And odds are you will be in the sandbox at some point. I think it is DoD policy that eveyone will go at least once. Keep your head down.

Marauder386
02-11-2007, 11:32 AM
James, I have friends currently stationed there and will be there when you arrive...PM me so I can give you information on contact...Yes, they are also Air Force...

:cool:

Bluerauder
02-11-2007, 01:47 PM
They used to have a fireworks display at one of the castles in the region, I can't remember the name of the castle right now.
The "Burning of the Castle" is conducted in Heidelberg during the summer on weekends to commemorate its destruction by the French at the end of the 17th Century. The entire castle is illuminated with fireworks. The best view is from across the river on the Philosophenweg (Philosopher's Way).

Things to do:

1. Visit Heidelberg and walk the old town. Take the cog railcar up to the castle or to the Molkenkur restaurant at the top of the mountain.
2. Rhine River cruise from Bingen to Boppard or beyond.
3. Bad Durkheim Sausage festival (also called the Wine Fest).
4. Visit the Armed Forces recreation center at Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
5. Go on a ski week tour (really great rates through the military).
6. Visit Berlin
7. Travel to Paris .... see a show at the Lido or Follies Begere.
8. Spend a night (or two) in a castle on the Rhine. I did this at Burg Reichenfels. Pricey but well worth it.
9. Visit the old city of Trier
10. Go see the medieval walled city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Lots more to see and do ......

jgc61sr2002
02-11-2007, 03:51 PM
James - Very nice to hear from you.:D
Good Luck and Best Wishes on your new assignment.:up:
Keep in touch.

Mad4Macs
02-11-2007, 03:57 PM
So far things are still going well. The Air Force is a wonderful place to be (as opposed to college where I believe now I would have gone to and failed out of after a lot of partying)

GUY!!!! You could have enlisted in the Navy, partied all you want, and still have been a hero!
Ummm, not that I ever did such a thing, nor would recommend it to the yout's of America ;)

lwblumjr
02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
James,

I was in the Air Force but never stationed in Germany. I did have two tours in England and will confirm what the others have said. Get off the base sometimes! We had the same problem with airmen in the barracks in England. They complained that there was nothing to do but go to the club. That's crap! Europe has loads of things going for it. Lots of history to discover and great sights to see. Do as much as you can. You never know if you will ever make it back. To this day I amaze people I work with when I can say "yeah, I've been there." Some of them act like they have never been over 200 miles from home. It is great to interact with other cultures, too! Good luck. Air Force, a great way of life!

ncmm
02-11-2007, 05:54 PM
James, nice to hear you are doing well and have your first assignment! Thanks for serving our country! Enjoy your stay in Germany and take lots of pictures! You photos are the best!

teamrope
02-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I was stationed in Germany for 5 years, Linda lived there for almost 19.

Their beer is very good, but watch out when you come back to the states... German beer has almost twice the alcohol content of domestic beer and a lot of soldiers end up getting DWI's when they get back to the states.

Get out and see the country. It is beautiful in the spring. Stuttgart is a nice city with the Ludwigsburg castle nearby. Rothenburg and Dinklesbuhl are a couple of old walled cities from the middle ages that are real neat to visit, and close enough to each other that you can see them both in the same day. The beer is very good there.

Linda's Dad lives in Trillfingen... (And as you, he has also driven Linda's DTR :) ) Maybe you might be able to meet up with him sometime. He is nutz about American cars. The Hohenzollern castle is nearby, as is the tunnel complex where Hitler's scientists were working on their nuclear program. The beer is very good there.

You must see Neu Swanstein (AKA the Disneyland or fairy tale castle) Another neat castle to visit is the one in Meersburg which is down by the Bodensee. The beer is very good there.

In Hockenheim they have one bad a$$ road course. The Nuerburg Ring is another that I drove on a portion of with a Hummer. The Nuerburg castle is inside the course. I wish I could take the MM on that bad boy. The Grand Prix course takes 13 miles to run 1 lap! The beer is very good there, as long as you are not driving.

I could keep going on forever, but it would take a few pages for 1 post. Linda will log on later and tell you more.

Good luck and don't be a stranger.

woaface
02-11-2007, 09:26 PM
You know I joined the military to see the world and be paid to do it. I was enthralled when I found out I was being stationed at Ramstein. It was my second choice on my dream sheet (so dreams DO come true I suppose). I was really hoping to get staioned in Europe because I that's where I wanted to travel. I plan to take leave often while I'm over there. I was told by my BMT instructor to get a cheap car and travel the country side since southwest Germany is fairly Americanized. I've also been told all about the weekly bus tours and HOPs to the UK.

Thanks for all of the thanks guys. I'm proud of my service and I know this has been the best thing for me. Thanks also for all of the great info on my next PCS!

-James

Mrsteamrope
02-11-2007, 09:51 PM
James you are going to love <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region>, just remember to take your Camera wherever you go. All of <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place> is at your doorstep, take advantage of that and have the adventure of your life.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I lived in the southern part of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region> what is called the Schwaebisch Alps.<o:p></o:p>
The culture and people are different from region to region or Bundesstaat(state) as it is called in German. There are tons of things to do, but one thing I would recommend is to learn the language as good as you can and meet the locals. And I am not just talking the girls. Watch out for the girls that love to hangout with the boys on post. The majority of them are just looking to get pregnant and married, to get an ID Card. Once your tour is up, they don't want to go back to the states. B.J. has his own story to tell.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>Once you have the time to travel, just remember not everyone speaks English, so you will need to learn the basics or travel with a friend that speaks the language.<o:p></o:p>
On November 11th every year the Karnival or Fasching (as it is called in the south) starts. It continues all the way till Ash Wednesday. It’s like a Halloween Party, just with traditional Costumes and lots of Beer. In the south every town has its own traditional costume; most of the costumes have wooden masks that owners have carved themselves. There are tons of Parades during this time where everyone gets together to show off their costumes, and of course eat and drink beer.<o:p></o:p>
The German Beer and Food are great, but you also have Greek, Italian and French foods that are great and totally different from what you eat here in the states.

If you have any questions you can always PM me.

Have a great time and stay out of trouble.

Habe eine gute zeit in Deutschland, trinke ein bier fuer mich.
Bis spaeter und Auf Wiedersehn.

RCSignals
02-11-2007, 11:32 PM
You'll have a great time James.

Get off Base. If you can, live on the economy.

There are lots of good girls in Germany, just be careful

Germany has great wine , as well as beer.

Don't order any hamburgers off base.

SID210SA
02-12-2007, 07:45 AM
James....Unfortunately we haven't been able to meet up yet since you have been in San Antonio....I work Just on the other side of 1604 from Camp Bullis....I can hear the explosions when training is going on over there....Let me know when graduation is....Have a great time in Germany

Mike

Haggis
02-12-2007, 07:46 AM

Good Luck

Pat

As this is extremely good advice, remember don't get married. There are a lot of german girls looking for American husbands. Learn the language I can not repeat this enough, the older people will appreciate it.

Go to the Octoberfest you will have a great time, a buddy and me went in 1985 we each had a girl on each arm drinking "ein grosse bier". We were sing German drinking songs and dancing on top of the tables, what a wonderful time.

I was stationed in Berlin for two and a half years and it was the best time in my military career. 24hr night life, in the summer the sun does not set until 11pm and rises at 3 - 4am. In the winter the sun does not rise until 9am and sets around 3pm. The beaches are toppless, watch out for the 70 - 80yr old granmothers with no tops :puke:

Also take Bluerauder's advice stay out of the Annabella House, five stories of prostitutes the higher you go the more expensive it gets.

Good Luck and God Bless. :flag:

ParkRanger
02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Be careful of the Frauleins - a lot of them look for young Americans to marry so they can move to the US. Just go along for the ride and when it's time to come home (ETS) - come home by yourself! :D

Learn to snow ski in Garmisch. :cool:

Take the trains to as many European cities/towns as possible - it will be expensive with the current Euro/USD exchange rate, but an experience you will never forget. :bows:

Treat the Germans with respect and you will be OK. But remember, they don't like the US military in their country (neither would you) - they just like US money, so be careful of Rad (Germans) and your trust in them.

PR :burnout:

Leadfoot281
02-12-2007, 04:47 PM
All EXCELLENT advice so far.

I spent two years in Bad Kissengen. There are some Monks there that roll out barrels of beer once a year for a fest and as a way to finance their monastery. Check it out!

If you can't read German right away, don't worry. Just point to anything on the menu while at restaraunts. It's all good! I gained 38 lbs in my first year, so owning a bicycle is a good idea.

I spent every dime the Army paid me while there. I'm not going to recomend you do the same, but I will say that I don't regret it one bit!

LordVader
02-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Woaface;

Ramstein AB is a headquarters base and a main air transportation hub.
Germany is about the same longitude as Wisconsin. There is also a major army base nearby.
I loved Germany when I was stationed there. The people were very friendly although sometimes they don't look it. Keep a positive attitude and make an attempt to learn their culture.

I loved the beer, and the food. So watch your weight, that stuff is rich. Oh, did I say I loved the beer? The Germans dress up in colorful attire as long as it's black.

One of the main complaints from young military members was that "there was nothing to do". Baloney. Get out of the barracks and sight see, the USO runs day trips all over Europe. Remember this is the cradle of western civilization. France sucks. The beer is great, I mentioned that already, right?

You must learn that there are different types of beer and each is served in it's own unique glass. That's a test question for when you get back.

Be glad you don't have a car over there, much too expensive, but the trains and buses serve admirably. Bikes are OK for running around the base.

The Germans love to stroll and have week end contests. Loads of fun and you get an elaborate medal (tin) but it's a collectable. Volksmarches.

The villages each have their own unique resturant/pub and serve a speciality veal steak call Schnitzel's. Really good with German beer.

Remember beer comes in liter bottles and you can get soused quickly.

Let someone else give you their perspective. Octoberfest's forever.

Good Luck

Pat
+1 on this. Spent two tours in Germany. The first time in Frankfurt, close to Rhien Main and then in a little place called Idar Oberstein. As Pat said get out of the barracks..its a pretty cool place and lots to see and enjoy.

Bluerauder
02-13-2007, 08:30 AM
... and then in a little place called Idar Oberstein. As Pat said get out of the barracks..its a pretty cool place and lots to see and enjoy.
I remember Idar-Oberstein well. Great restaurants. I was based a little up the road in Baumholder '75-'78 on my first tour.

Pics of Idar-Oberstein >>>> http://www.pbase.com/chastainml/idar_oberstein

Pics of Old Heidelberg >>>> http://www.oldheidelberg.com

Click on the "Tour" and then the castle fireworks pic. Point and click to make your own gala fireworks show. :D