PDA

View Full Version : Stereo/Electrical Gurus

rvaldez1
02-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Ok stereo Gurus, I have a project for the LX sport. I am putting 3 12" woofers in the trunk, they will be single 4 ohm. My problem is that the subs are ONLY available in single voice coil. The Ohm load of 3, 4-ohm subs is roughly 1-2/3 ohms. Is there any way I can raise the combined impedance to 2+ ohms, without wiring in series???

BAD MERC
02-17-2007, 08:11 PM
NO! The only way to make a safe load is to use 12 ohm subs. OR... use a class d amp capable of 1 ohm loads with your subs. That is it. Period.

Pops
02-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Gotta have the amp that will run 1 ohm. Mtx and Rockford make them. If you use one you will put a very serious draw on your alternator. Most of the 1 ohm amps can draw 100 amps of current or more. PM if you have more questions and what subs you are using and I will match up a amp for you.

FlavaMerc
02-18-2007, 08:01 AM
there are many mono block amps (1ch. D class) out thre you can use. the high end brands will be pricey. if you want a good cheap one i heard a powerakoustic a2400db and had lots and i mean lots of power. and if you are willing to go all out, mmatts makes all their mono amps in 1, 2, or .5 ohms. pricey but big cohones.

rvaldez1
02-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes, gentlemen, I will be using a 1 ohm capable Amp. A HiFonics Brutus 1206d. The only problem is I want to put 3 shallow woofers in the trunk dip to level out the trunk. The Pioneer woofers are only available in single voice coil at 4 ohms. If there is no way, I might have to re-think my woofer selection.

KillJoy
02-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, gentlemen, I will be using a 1 ohm capable Amp. A HiFonics Brutus 1206d. The only problem is I want to put 3 shallow woofers in the trunk dip to level out the trunk. The Pioneer woofers are only available in single voice coil at 4 ohms. If there is no way, I might have to re-think my woofer selection.

Are you talking about Pioneer's new Shallow Woofers????

KillJoy

BAD MERC
02-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Great choice for the HiFonics amp. It is amazing how many crap amps are out there and will cost you good money but really not deliver power, damping or even thermal stability (powerakoustic is flea market garbage BTW). I would have suggested the Rockford except that Rockford's power rating is measured at 14.4 VDC and the car electrical system never sees that amount and therefore, the Rockford BD1000 actually makes about 620watts at 12VDC. Remember, an amplifier needs amperage to make power and if you cannot deliver about 60-80amps then you may cause the outputs to go DC (where the amplifier becomes a DC transformer) and bake your subs.

rvaldez1
02-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Great choice for the HiFonics amp. It is amazing how many crap amps are out there and will cost you good money but really not deliver power, damping or even thermal stability (powerakoustic is flea market garbage BTW). I would have suggested the Rockford except that Rockford's power rating is measured at 14.4 VDC and the car electrical system never sees that amount and therefore, the Rockford BD1000 actually makes about 620watts at 12VDC. Remember, an amplifier needs amperage to make power and if you cannot deliver about 60-80amps then you may cause the outputs to go DC (where the amplifier becomes a DC transformer) and bake your subs.

Correct, I live by HiFonics. And as far a flea market brands, look into Audiofonics adf amps, the thin ones. TRUST ME. I have been thinking, and I really want to go three woofers, I guess I could go with three smaller mtxs and link em to power each sub independently. All that gets too costly, and makes my box more difficult to build. Just to give you all an Idea, I want the entire setup to be similar to the trunk organizer. So I have to do some more brainstorming. Thanks to all for the help.

rvaldez1
02-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Are you talking about Pioneer's new Shallow Woofers????

KillJoy
Yes sir, the technology isnt all that new, Blaupunkt has had em for a while, but after hearing the pioneers, Im hooked.

KillJoy
02-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes sir, the technology isnt all that new, Blaupunkt has had em for a while, but after hearing the pioneers, Im hooked.

True. But....aren't they new to Pioneer's line?

I am considering one of the 8" to go under the front seat in our Grand Am.

I am also contemplating a complete system upgrade....including my Kicker Solo-Baric 10's. Time, and finances will tell.

Good luck, and POST PICS!!!!

:D

KillJoy

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I love hifonics amps, I have a brutus 1606d pushing 2 12'' Alpine Type Rs in my Lincoln, And am planning 3 type Rs for the Marauder using a more powerful hifonics amp (2000W maybe) for the Marauder.:D :D

magindat
02-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Use 4 pioneer shallow 10's. You'll get more surface area and more motors with only 4" more width.
Good luck.

Pops
02-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Look in the Johns Stereo Forum and you will see 4 of the Pioneers in my GM. We are using 2 class D sub amps to run them.

rvaldez1
02-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Use 4 pioneer shallow 10's. You'll get more surface area and more motors with only 4" more width.
Good luck.

Look in the Johns Stereo Forum and you will see 4 of the Pioneers in my GM. We are using 2 class D sub amps to run them.

Thanks, I think you both are on to something, :pimp: , I think 4 10s will fit especially If I do two far left, two far right, amps and cap in the middle. BUT, to go 2 amps, Im gonna change my amp selection.

rvaldez1
02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
What about wiring like this, will it make for any problems with frequency response etc. Disregard the first pic and amp selection<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://images.cardomain.net/sites/sounddomain/shop/woofer_wizard/4_4ohm_svc.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

magindat
02-21-2007, 05:57 AM
The first picture will yield stronger response while the second will yield better sound quality and less draw.
Mount the amps in the side cavities of the trunk and the wooders 4 across on the spare tire deck facing rear. False the floor and put the spare under it.

KillJoy
02-21-2007, 06:32 AM
False the floor and put the spare under it.

I have considered doing this. My only hesitation is this:

In a rear end collision, the tire, laying flat, would be jammed into the Gas Tank.

Possible bad situation???

KillJoy

rvaldez1
02-21-2007, 04:25 PM
The first picture will yield stronger response while the second will yield better sound quality and less draw.
Mount the amps in the side cavities of the trunk and the wooders 4 across on the spare tire deck facing rear. False the floor and put the spare under it.
Taken into consideration, thanks.