PDA

View Full Version : Cool things that work

Mike Poore
02-23-2007, 07:25 AM
At 3AM the phone woke us with a message saying the temperature in our hunting camp at Snow Shoe had dropped below the set point of 45 degrees, and also called the plumbing contractor who does our furnace service. I called the camp number and got the message saying the temp had dropped to 44 degrees and that the power was on. Next, the call to the plumber's answering service confirmed they are aware of it.
Upon returning the last fuel delivery invoice revealed that we had not gotten a delivery since late November, so the assumption was made that we're out of propane. By 7Am I talked to the plumber and we decided to wait for the fuel delivery and he'd go up and purge the line, light the burner, and make sure the furnace was working correctly. Meanwhile, it calls in the alert every 30 minutes, and announces the temperature, which has fallen to 41 degrees.
All this from a 1" x 4" x 6" box, hooked to the phone line, for ~ $95 as I recall. :D

Taa-Daa .......the truck with the propane is on it's way to Snow Shoe. :woohoo:

MercModifier
02-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Thats the kind of stuff i need to set my home up with.
technology to the rescue again.

Haggis
02-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Does it do the dishes also? :rofl:

fastblackmerc
02-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Does it do the dishes also? :rofl:

And windows??

Bluerauder
02-23-2007, 09:13 AM
All this from a 1" x 4" x 6" box, hooked to the phone line, for ~ $95 as I recall. :D
You paid $95 for a flat shoebox to wake you up at 3 AM ??? No thanks. ;)

Sounds like a pretty neat feature that paid for itself in one notification. Much better to get the electronic alert than from a neighbor or fire department about a busted pipe and lotsa water damage. :up:

Dr Caleb
02-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Dude! Your 'hunting cabin' has heat, and a phone?!?

I suppose it has indoor plumbing too! *grumble* *grumble* *grumble*

Bigdogjim
02-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks Mike got to keep warm:):):)

Pops
02-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Cool things that work? Does that include you Bigdogjim?

LordVader
02-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Mike has to have his comforts! I know our "family" cabin up in Clearfield has a floor, four walls, a roof, 1 door and four windows. The only heat comes from the fireplace and the cook stove. Must be real nice.

Dennis Reinhart
02-23-2007, 11:21 AM
At 3AM the phone woke us with a message saying the temperature in our hunting camp at Snow Shoe had dropped below the set point of 45 degrees, and also called the plumbing contractor who does our furnace service. I called the camp number and got the message saying the temp had dropped to 44 degrees and that the power was on. Next, the call to the plumber's answering service confirmed they are aware of it.
Upon returning the last fuel delivery invoice revealed that we had not gotten a delivery since late November, so the assumption was made that we're out of propane. By 7Am I talked to the plumber and we decided to wait for the fuel delivery and he'd go up and purge the line, light the burner, and make sure the furnace was working correctly. Meanwhile, it calls in the alert every 30 minutes, and announces the temperature, which has fallen to 41 degrees.

Taa-Daa .......the truck with the propane is on it's way to Snow Shoe. :woohoo:

I have the same thing attatched to my Vodka bottle:beer:

Bigdogjim
02-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Cool things that work? Does that include you Bigdogjim?

What is work?

Mike Poore
02-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Well, it's sort of a deluxe camp right in town ....a 60 x 28 doublewide on a full foundation, with city water and sewer, with three building lots, at the complex with the ball fields and swimming pool. :rolleyes:

Dr Caleb
02-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Well, it's sort of a deluxe camp right in town ....a 60 x 28 doublewide on a full foundation, with city water and sewer, with three building lots, at the complex with the ball fields and swimming pool. :rolleyes:

No shooting range? No tennis court? :rolleyes:

lol

My 'hunting shack' is a tent. The place I used to go up north is an old abandoned 'Atco Trailer' (real basic, 4 walls, a floor and a roof that can be transported on the back of a truck) But the last few years, I deer hunt on my friends golf course so I guess I shouldn't taunt. It's only a couple miles from my house. He hates the deer, because they pretty much destroy the course during the fall rut.

So, after the course closes for the season, I grab a golf cart. Instead of clubs I put my bow in the back.

Mike Poore
02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
No shooting range? No tennis court? :rolleyes:

He hates the deer, because they pretty much destroy the course during the fall rut.

So, after the course closes for the season, I grab a golf cart. Instead of clubs I put my bow in the back.

Oh yeah, I forgot the tennis court(s) and outdoor bassetball hoops. It' on the western edge of the town's sports complex. I bought it when it was a swamp and no one could build on it, so we put our 28' Terry on it and used that. Then when they drained the swamp, moved a 14 x 60 mobile home on it, then after the sewer went through, put in the double wide, last year. Really it was just dumb luck.
What's really cool is we have access, from camp, to the Snow Shoe Rails to Trails system and can ride the ATV's from Orviston to Phillipsburg with scores of trails going in all directions. It's way cool. Oh, did I mention Black Moshannon, one of the state's best kept secret trout streams? :D

As for shooting there's the Phillipsbutg Rod & Gun club where we shoot trap every Wed. nite, and there's plenty of places to shoot anything you'd be interested in, out on the strippings.

KillJoy
02-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot the tennis court(s) and outdoor bassetball hoops. It' on the western edge of the town's sports complex. I bought it when it was a swamp and no one could build on it, so we put our 28' Terry on it and used that. Then when they drained the swamp, moved a 14 x 60 mobile home on it, then after the sewer went through, put in the double wide, last year. Really it was just dumb luck.
What's really cool is we have access, from camp, to the Snow Shoe Rails to Trails system and can ride the ATV's from Orviston to Phillipsburg with scores of trails going in all directions. It's way cool. Oh, did I mention Black Moshannon, one of the state's best kept secret trout streams? :D

As for shooting there's the Phillipsbutg Rod & Gun club where we shoot trap every Wed. nite, and there's plenty of places to shoot anything you'd be interested in, out on the strippings.

If you would like to invite a watcher / videographer for a deer hunt....you got my number.

:poke:

KillJoy