PDA

View Full Version : We Were Soldiers -- Medal of Honor

Bluerauder
02-24-2007, 08:39 AM
After 42 years, a hero is finally recognized. Major Bruce Crandall who flew helicopters in support of trapped 1/7 Cav in November 1965 will get his long overdue Medal of Honor. His actions and those of his unit kept Hal Moore's battalion from being overrun and wiped out by an NVA regiments of nearly 6 times his strength. If you haven't seen the movie or read the Book ..... "We Were Soldiers", I highly recommend it. :flag:

:congrats: Congrats Bruce .... this is a well-deserved award. :2thumbs: :up: :2thumbs:

Bruce's basic branch was "Corps of Engineers" in a time before Aviation became its own separate branch of the US Army.

Vietnam Vet to Receive Medal of Honor
By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press Writer
3 hours ago

WASHINGTON - Bruce Crandall was a soldier once ... and young. As a 32-year-old helicopter pilot, he flew through a gauntlet of enemy fire, taking ammunition in and wounded Americans out of one of the fiercest battles of the Vietnam War, Army records say. Now, a week after his 74th birthday, Crandall will receive the nation's highest military honor Monday in a White House ceremony with President Bush.

"I'm still here," he said of his 41-year-wait for the Medal of Honor. "Most of these awards are posthumous, so I can't complain."

Crandall's actions in the November 1965 Battle at Ia Drang Valley were depicted in the Hollywood movie "We Were Soldiers," adapted from the book "We Were Soldiers Once ... And Young."

At the time, Crandall was a major commanding a company of the 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile).

Marauder386
02-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Thank you Major Bruce Crandall...and edit this if you want...its about goddamn time...

:cool: