PDA

View Full Version : Virginia State Police get Dodge Chargers

Bluerauder
02-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Yep, 32 of them .....

13 - Marked
12 - Unmarked
7 - Slick Top

The new graphics look very nice. Hope ya'll don't get to see 'em up close. ;) Be careful out there on I-95, I-81, I-66, and I-64.

Price for the Chargers is about $1500 more than the CVPI.

ParkRanger
02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, baby. Show me 10-8! :burnout:

PR

Big House
02-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Blue...

You got any pictures? I want to be as careful as possible.

Big House

Bluerauder
02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Blue...

You got any pictures? I want to be as careful as possible.

Big House
There is a pic on this page >>>> http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Employment_Trooper_Recruitment .shtm

I wonder who got the other 3 to make the total 35 ???

Mopar Boy
02-27-2007, 07:40 PM
NC SHP has been running the Charger for a while. One of my friends has one and he loves the car. He had the SS Camaro as a patrol car for a good while and when it was traded out (over mileage) for tha Vicky he was not happy. The Vic just didn't have the quickness, as he had gotten use to with the SS. But now with the Charger he's a lot happier.

I hate to say but the SOHC 4.6 in a heavy Vic is under powered for Highway Speed Interception.

BigMerc
02-27-2007, 09:13 PM
just wait, the chargers don't have th durability of the Vic. When they start getting the repair bills, you'll see a turnaround. The vic is the staple of police work, many have tried to replace it but in the end The Vic is still there. It's the best cruiser I have ever had, driven the impala (crap), the taurus (bigger crap) and the charger, it's sexy and quick but she doesn't hold up to abuse.

05GTMach70
02-27-2007, 10:44 PM
There are charger caop cars here in Amelia island also. nice looking cop cars. They look kinda intemidating heh

Marauderman
02-28-2007, 05:03 AM
NC SHP has been running the Charger for a while. One of my friends has one and he loves the car.

........uh......you haven't told him about Red Line Beauty have you.....??

Bluerauder
02-28-2007, 08:48 AM
just wait, the chargers don't have th durability of the Vic.
Could be. I think this 32 (or 35) for the Virginia State Police is just a test buy to get some data on cost, reliability, etc. They have also been trying out some Impala SS, too.

pantheroc
02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
They gonna dummy test a few for a rear end hit at 80mph and see if they explode, since the CVPI got a bad rap?

jgc61sr2002
02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
NYPD Highway Patrol has been testing Dodge Chargers (Hemi)for at least two months. The also have several six cylinders for routine patrol.

RCSignals
02-28-2007, 11:30 PM

I hate to say but the SOHC 4.6 in a heavy Vic is under powered for Highway Speed Interception.

Actually the highway is where it shines.

RCSignals
02-28-2007, 11:32 PM
There are charger caop cars here in Amelia island also. nice looking cop cars. They look kinda intemidating heh

The OSP has a few that I've seen. To me the look short and fat. The Chargers not the Troopers.

Marauderman
03-01-2007, 05:02 AM
Actually the highway is where it shines.

Mopar Boy , who is a Cop, and who has tried to intercept high speed cars, at highway speeds , in a Vic , at 133 MPH, and has his vic just stail at that speed, am sure would disagree with you......and how would I know you ask,,,well, I've seen the tapes.......so the question is........where does your info come from that makes "it shine"?....cause you must not mean in "speed"....

rayjay
03-01-2007, 05:37 AM
We just ordered a Charger, we'll see how it holds up. The Impalas with 45k+ are starting to fall apart.

BigMerc
03-01-2007, 05:54 AM
RCSignals is correct, The highway is where it's value lies, you topped out at133 thats your car apparently. I've been 140+ on a couple of occasions and the vic feels solid and adheres to the road, the lighter cars scared the crap outta me and I wouldn't push them past 105-110. The horsepower on the 2006, now the 2007 are up also, much better reponse. I also like the fact ballistic shields in the doors and laminated glass on my 2006.

Mopar Boy
03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 473604" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>BigMerc</TD><TD class=alt2>just wait, the chargers don't have th durability of the Vic. When they start getting the repair bills, you'll see a turnaround.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Bog Merc I agree that a lot of depts have tried replacing the Vic and then gone back too it over the room inside. You can place a lot of equipment inside the Vic. But when it comes to repair bills on cars the Chevy, with us, has a lower repair bill than the Vic. The Vics eat the hell out of brakes like a fat person eats at a buffet. PLus the tranny can be a problem after 50K not to mention the intakes cracking, blowing spark plugs out of the heads and the power steering leaking problems. I'm not a fan of the Impala over it being to small inside the cabin compaired to the Vic and the FWD. Plus the Vic will out perform the Impala in a lot of areas. The handling of the Vic is very nice and the ride is good also.

RCSignals I hate to say but getting up to speed it takes a while. When it does get up there it is very stable though. When Ford changed out the rear suspension set up to the Lincolns (I cant remember the name) the handling became a lot more stable.

Big Merc did you sya Ballistic Shields??? Thats a new one on me. I haven't heard anyone at our garage or fleet management talk about that option.

RaceLegend79
03-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I dont know about anyone else but I had my CVPI well over 140 and climbing with 2 other passengers so I know that top is not a problem as long as you dont have the big topper on your roof, they do provide sufficent drag to stall you at 130 to 140.

MENINBLK
03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
NYPD Highway Patrol has been testing Dodge Chargers (Hemi)for at least two months. The also have several six cylinders for routine patrol.

They got 2 of them that I have seen, here in Yonkers.
I really don't think they will last long.
They don't have the storage capacity of a CV and
when they are weighted down with all of the equipment they have to carry,
they are SLOW...

GM is gonna take over Chrysler anyway and crush it...

RCSignals
03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Mopar Boy , who is a Cop, and who has tried to intercept high speed cars, at highway speeds , in a Vic , at 133 MPH, and has his vic just stail at that speed, am sure would disagree with you......and how would I know you ask,,,well, I've seen the tapes.......so the question is........where does your info come from that makes "it shine"?....cause you must not mean in "speed"....

I own one, and have had it at "speed"
and actually running with a Charger Daytona of all things, which didn't shine at that top end.

RCSignals
03-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Bog Merc I agree that a lot of depts have tried replacing the Vic and then gone back too it over the room inside. You can place a lot of equipment inside the Vic. But when it comes to repair bills on cars the Chevy, with us, has a lower repair bill than the Vic. The Vics eat the hell out of brakes like a fat person eats at a buffet. PLus the tranny can be a problem after 50K not to mention the intakes cracking, blowing spark plugs out of the heads and the power steering leaking problems. I'm not a fan of the Impala over it being to small inside the cabin compaired to the Vic and the FWD. Plus the Vic will out perform the Impala in a lot of areas. The handling of the Vic is very nice and the ride is good also.

RCSignals I hate to say but getting up to speed it takes a while. When it does get up there it is very stable though. When Ford changed out the rear suspension set up to the Lincolns (I cant remember the name) the handling became a lot more stable.

Big Merc did you sya Ballistic Shields??? Thats a new one on me. I haven't heard anyone at our garage or fleet management talk about that option.

Most of those 'problems' don't apply to the newer CVPIs.

I'm surprised at what you say about the Chev repair cost history. I've always heard the opposite.

the CVPI may not get to speed as quick as a MM, but I still wouldn't call it a slouch. Acceleration once at hwy speed is quite good.

SamF
03-02-2007, 09:30 PM
GM is gonna take over Chrysler anyway and crush it...

That would not be good :depress:

Mopar Boy
03-03-2007, 06:39 AM
RCSignals
I'm surprised at what you say about the Chev repair cost history. I've always heard the opposite.

Trust me I was as suprised also. I talked with the fleet manager and I couldn't see how a FWD could be less, so I talked with one of my retired buds. Who is in the garage office and he told me it was true. Then he gave me the bad news, they were going to order more. :(

I guess on the speed it could be a personnel thing. To me if a car can't run at least a 14 second 1/4 mile then its slow.

I was looking for a video that was up on the web but I could not find it. It was of a newer Daytona Charger running low 14's at the track and then he went out on the street doing a top end run at 145mph. :down: He ended up getting busted by SHP but the car didnt look like it was struggling to bad at the high speed.

I was in a chase with a girl in a Honda Accord who I had clocked at 110MPH at night on a local Interstate. It took me over 5 miles to catch up with her and there is only two reasons she stopped. The interstate running out, where it was under construction, and her telling me she had to slow down over the front end of her car shaking when she got over 120MPH.

GreekGod
03-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I dont know about anyone else but I had my CVPI well over 140 and climbing with 2 other passengers so I know that top is not a problem as long as you dont have the big topper on your roof, they do provide sufficent drag to stall you at 130 to 140.

I understand there are some places (such as a desert, Tejas, Big Sky Country Montana, etc.) where you can blow out the carbon, but if you police officers are going to attempt an 'intercept" at over 120 mph, you damn sure better be chasing a child molester with a bus-load of Kindergarteners! :nono:

T-bone my mammy while doing triple digits and I will "own" a big chunk of your a*s, and $1million+ from your city, county, or state budget. :eek:

I thought high speed chases were being limited/restricted by police department policies? :banned:

I have, in my mis-spent youth, buried the speedo needle (120 mph+) in my '66 7 Litre Galaxie. I don't care how good of a driver you are, when you get over 100 mph, things happen so fast that the public and driver are at great risk.
:flamer:

Mopar Boy
03-03-2007, 12:09 PM
GreekGod you are absolutely correct... My listed chase was at 3:00 AM with only me and the suspect on the road. If it would have been during the day with a lot of traffic on the road then No Chase. Just let him/she go and hope for the best. That's what the public wants and most of the P.D. now a days.

BigMerc
03-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Quote" you police officers are going to attempt an 'intercept" at over 120 mph, you damn sure better be chasing a child molester with a bus-load of Kindergarteners!" End Quote

Ahhhh another genius that knows my business better than I do. Look I don't tell you how to change oil don't tell me how to police.

It's a simple idea of mind over matter, I don't mind and YOU don't matter.

GreekGod
03-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Quote" you police officers are going to attempt an 'intercept" at over 120 mph, you damn sure better be chasing a child molester with a bus-load of Kindergarteners!" End Quote

Ahhhh another genius that knows my business better than I do. Look I don't tell you how to change oil don't tell me how to police.

It's a simple idea of mind over matter, I don't mind and YOU don't matter.

Ahh, I see! You protect and serve on your terms! Well, I say, you do as you will, and the law will do as it does.

I hope you don't think you are the law? My brother informed me the old saying is "you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride", but he was talking about prostitutes.

Another saying I am sure you know is " tell it to the judge".

BigMerc
03-03-2007, 05:44 PM
What is it with you and large fonts?

I'm just saying, stay out of things you know NOTHING about. There are professional people who are highly trained, let them do their duty. You stand back and kibitz or mow the lawn, anything you're good at, but let the people who have sworn to enforce the law do it as they see it. You?...you don't factor into it

Mopar Boy
03-03-2007, 06:04 PM
GreekGod I have heard where you are coming from before.

LEO work is dangerous!!! You have to be willing to pursue the bad people because they are doing bad things. If you only prosecute the subjects that don't resist then these people will start resisting because they know that they can get away.

I always remember what Edmund Burke said All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

When LEOs are told to stand back and do nothing, I ask then why have them out there!!!

I guess some parking tickets need to be written or maybe a ticket for parking on your front lawn instead...:shake:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
03-03-2007, 06:19 PM
The Mopar Hemi motor is in a totally different league than the 4.6 SOHC motor. It is a really great piece.

GreekGod
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
...What we have here is a failure to communicate. I'm no liberal when it comes to enforcement.

When a chase gets over 100 mph, it greatly endangers the public. I'm all for calling in a helicopter and taking out the perp with a 50 cal.

My brother taught State law to Metro police officers in Las Vegas, NV. We have had many discussions over law enforcement.

My best friend from high school is retired from the Michigan State Police. He has told me how dangerous it can be. He patrolled (solo) in a Mustang on I94 out of Jackson, MI, specializing in drug courier interdiction between Benton Harbor and Detroit. His (also retired) wife was a detective at the same post. I admit I only know a little.

Where is Sgt. Mac when you need him?

DL04
03-03-2007, 07:26 PM
I understand there are some places (such as a desert, Tejas, Big Sky Country Montana, etc.) where you can blow out the carbon, but if you police officers are going to attempt an 'intercept" at over 120 mph, you damn sure better be chasing a child molester with a bus-load of Kindergarteners! :nono:

T-bone my mammy while doing triple digits and I will "own" a big chunk of your a*s, and $1million+ from your city, county, or state budget. :eek:

I thought high speed chases were being limited/restricted by police department policies? :banned:

I have, in my mis-spent youth, buried the speedo needle (120 mph+) in my '66 7 Litre Galaxie. I don't care how good of a driver you are, when you get over 100 mph, things happen so fast that the public and driver are at great risk.
:flamer:

^^^BRILLLLIANT^^^

RCSignals
03-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Trust me I was as suprised also. I talked with the fleet manager and I couldn't see how a FWD could be less, so I talked with one of my retired buds. Who is in the garage office and he told me it was true. Then he gave me the bad news, they were going to order more. :(

I guess on the speed it could be a personnel thing. To me if a car can't run at least a 14 second 1/4 mile then its slow.

I was looking for a video that was up on the web but I could not find it. It was of a newer Daytona Charger running low 14's at the track and then he went out on the street doing a top end run at 145mph. :down: He ended up getting busted by SHP but the car didnt look like it was struggling to bad at the high speed.

I was in a chase with a girl in a Honda Accord who I had clocked at 110MPH at night on a local Interstate. It took me over 5 miles to catch up with her and there is only two reasons she stopped. The interstate running out, where it was under construction, and her telling me she had to slow down over the front end of her car shaking when she got over 120MPH.

Still surprises me about the repair record. Very much so.
Is this over the same period of time/mileage for each vehicle?
I doesn't make sense. Maybe they've found a magic formula.

It isn't easy to tell if a car is struggling at a roll, but when it can't pull away, and you can gain even a little, it's an indicator.

I'm not knocking the new RWD mopars. I'm happy they took the step to move from FWD

that girl is lucky her Honda didn't disintegrate

BigMerc
03-04-2007, 11:12 AM
"When a chase gets over 100 mph, it greatly endangers the public. I'm all for calling in a helicopter and taking out the perp with a 50 cal."

Oh ok don't chase them, just spray 50 caliber rounds in a populated area from an aerial platform! that clears it up for me, for a minute there I thought you weren't right in the head:rofl: :rofl:

GreekGod
03-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I give up. Supercops always win. n/m

04MEMA
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
More info is good - Check out this report:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MSP_Eval_146823_7.pdf

The Charger has a 5 speed auto and 2.82 axle ratio. 345 HP and 390 ft lbs of torque - thats a tad bit more than 250 hp and 297 ft lbs. the vic has.

I think it's about time Ford puts more power under the hood. The Dodge is a serious competitor - at least in the performance arena. I can't speak to durability/upkeep costs. Ford has engines that could get the job done like the Charger. How about the V10 or a 5.4 SOHC or DOHC? With a 5 or 6 speed auto? My bet is unless the Charger starts killing them in sales Ford won't do a thing - and even then it's a maybe.

jgc61sr2002
03-04-2007, 05:18 PM
If Chrysler takes over the Police vehicle market ( As in the 60's, 70's and 80"s) Ford will be in serious trouble. IMO.

Mopar Boy
03-04-2007, 07:04 PM
RCSignals

Still surprises me about the repair record. Very much so.
Is this over the same period of time/mileage for each vehicle?
I doesn't make sense. Maybe they've found a magic formula.

It was over the same period of time new vehicle for new vehicle. I know they were very worried at first about the Impala's engine that the oil was being sent off and checked. After a while they stopped telling us the engine oil was checking out ok. I dont know what the formula is here but I guess the cars like it. I'll still take the Vic or the Impala. ;) But that Charger, I would like to give so time in the drivers seat.

04MEMA good find:cool: I was searching for that report but I couldn't find it.

RCSignals
03-04-2007, 08:39 PM
If Chrysler takes over the Police vehicle market ( As in the 60's, 70's and 80"s) Ford will be in serious trouble. IMO.

I'm not so sure Chrysler 'took over' the Police market in those years. I do know some departments used them because their base level was cheap, and most were 6's
Ford remains the first in that market with a police specific vehicle, from the Model A era, and the only to have a continuous presence in that market.

GreekGod
03-05-2007, 07:07 AM
More info is good

The Charger has a 5 speed auto and 2.82 axle ratio. 345 HP and 390 ft lbs of torque - thats a tad bit more than 250 hp and 297 ft lbs. the vic has.

I think it's about time Ford puts more power under the hood. The Dodge is a serious competitor - at least in the performance arena. I can't speak to durability/upkeep costs. Ford has engines that could get the job done like the Charger. How about the V10 or a 5.4 SOHC or DOHC? With a 5 or 6 speed auto? My bet is unless the Charger starts killing them in sales Ford won't do a thing - and even then it's a maybe.

We can all hope the new Hurricane V8, with a 6 speed auto, goes in the '08 or '09 Crown Vic. It will probably show up in the F series first.

jgc61sr2002
03-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm not so sure Chrysler 'took over' the Police market in those years. I do know some departments used them because their base level was cheap, and most were 6's
Ford remains the first in that market with a police specific vehicle, from the Model A era, and the only to have a continuous presence in that market.

True most were 6 cylinders for routine patrol, while Highway Patrol had 8 cylinders. From 1964 through the 80's the NYPD and most emergency vehicles (NY) were chrysler products.
The exceptions were 1966 Chevrolets, 1969 and 70 Fords and a few Pontiacs in the 70's. To the best of my knowledge.

04MEMA
03-07-2007, 07:38 AM
There's an article this month in Motor Trend about police cars. I couldn't find the article on their website (somebody post a link if you find it) but here's a link to a little video (not much content). They tested the Impala, Charger and CV - I just skimmed the article at home last night and saw the Charger ran a 14.2 in the 1/4. Also they set up a city-like track to see how the police cars do against an Evo and a Miata. The Miata and the Evo were faster through the course, the Charger was the fastest police car, than the Impala, then the CV, if I remember correctly.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/features/112_0704_the_truth_about_cop_c ars

GreekGod
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM
In the Michigan State Police "vehicle dynamics testing", the CV PI was slower than the Hemi competition. In testing at the Grattan 2 mile road course, it was found there was less than 4 seconds difference in a 2 mile lap. The Gratten course is very much a handling course, so horsepower is only part of the real world equation.

I'm not sure if 4 seconds really means much in 2 miles. Of course, the radio is much quicker.

RCSignals
03-07-2007, 02:21 PM
In the Michigan State Police "vehicle dynamics testing", the CV PI was slower than the Hemi competition. In testing at the Grattan 2 mile road course, it was found there was less than 4 seconds difference in a 2 mile lap. The Gratten course is very much a handling course, so horsepower is only part of the real world equation.

I'm not sure if 4 seconds really means much in 2 miles. Of course, the radio is much quicker.

Yes as I recall the CVPI was behind in that course by a hair. Insignificant really.
But certainly ahead of the Impala. Can't imagine what happened at Motor Trend.

04MEMA
03-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Hey if you want -I just read about an offer to give friends a copy of the magazine - PM me your email addy and I can send you a free electronic copy through Zinio. Not sure who knows about Zinio but it's an electronic version of your favorite mag's. There is a program to download (Zinio reader) to view the magazine, and then you download the magazine.

If you want to check it out first go to www.zinio.com - they usually have a bunch of older mags you can download free as a sample. I've been using this for a couple years and I like it. THis episode of MT has a review of the Shelby GT in it.