PDA

View Full Version : Ricer exhaust question

jawz101
03-02-2007, 08:32 PM
I was beside a Toyota today and heard the familiar whine of the aftermarket exhaust and I had a question. Could it be that they buy these exhausts so they can better determine their shift points, as they aren't dealing with much engine noise. Does a louder exhaust on a smaller engine come down to utility rather than buying it for a good sound, as a v8 owner would do?
If this is common sense I just realized it :(

Marauderjack
03-03-2007, 05:02 AM
I think they simply do the fart cans for "Bling" and the HORRIBLE sound is the unfortunate "Side Effect"!!??:confused: :shake:

Marauderjack:burnout:

RF Overlord
03-03-2007, 07:01 AM
A properly designed free-flowing exhaust system will add HP to whatever motor it's installed on. It will also change the sound of that motor, as we've all seen with the great Magnaflow/Flowmaster debate. Unfortunately, when you put a nice free-flowing exhaust system on a gutless 4-banger that needs to turn 7,000 RPM just make 116 HP, that awful nasal sound, like a weed-whacker on steroids, is the result.

I bet the fart-can manufacturers saw a huge jump in sales right after "The Fast and The Furious" came out. Every boy-racer with a Civic wanted to be Dom Toretto or Johnny Tran... :rolleyes:

RR|Suki
03-03-2007, 09:34 AM
A properly designed free-flowing exhaust system will add HP to whatever motor it's installed on. It will also change the sound of that motor, as we've all seen with the great Magnaflow/Flowmaster debate. Unfortunately, when you put a nice free-flowing exhaust system on a gutless 4-banger that needs to turn 7,000 RPM just make 116 HP, that awful nasal sound, like a weed-whacker on steroids, is the result.

I bet the fart-can manufacturers saw a huge jump in sales right after "The Fast and The Furious" came out. Every boy-racer with a Civic wanted to be Dom Toretto or Johnny Tran... :rolleyes:

You are incorrect in so many ways... First of all a "good" exhaust on a 4cyl sounds quite nice. It only reason they make that rediculous sound is becasue all they are changing is the Can, and those coffee cans are nothing but big echo chambers...
e.g.
This is my 74 mini, 1.3L http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGII4Pm8LsY ,

and reving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_adCYn1NurQ
notice there is no buzing, and it's a tiny tiny 1.3L

This is an SRT-4... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_hC-vOGFA&mode=related&search=

So what it realy is is the can, if they spent the money the cars would sound half way decent

Mad4Macs
03-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Ummmm... I watched the vids, listened to the exhaust, and it so while maybe it's not a weedwhacker, the most I'll grant you is "lawnmower".
:run:

RR|Suki
03-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Ummmm... I watched the vids, listened to the exhaust, and it so while maybe it's not a weedwhacker, the most I'll grant you is "lawnmower".
:run:

lol I suppose ignorance is one of those conditions that you can't cure

jawz101
03-03-2007, 04:29 PM
RR|Suki. Those did sound pretty nice.

BAD MERC
03-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Did anyone ever see the Horsepower TV episide where they did a fart cannon and a big brake kit on a Civic? It lowered horsepower, increased the 0-60 time AND lengthened the braking distance.

ncmm
03-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Next time you come upon a ricer be sure to put this on their winshield. . .

RF Overlord
03-04-2007, 08:35 AM
You are incorrect in so many ways...This is my 74 mini, 1.3L ... This is an SRT-4...

Notice that I said "a gutless 4-banger"...I wasn't referring to well-engineered motors like that in the SRT-4 or the one in your Mini, I was referring to the stock motors found in your average Corolla, Saturn, etc...I apologise for not being more specific, however, no 4-cylinder motor will ever come close to the glorious sound of American V8 muscle.

magindat
03-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Is a term that refers to creating a vacuum in the exhaust system by gradually increasing the pipe size as it exits the car. A well engineered/built ricer exhaust will find each location of the half-octave increase in sound and increase the exhast diameter at that point, then move on tot he next. In general a good ricer exhaust (1.6) will begin with a 4 into 1 header with a 2" flange. As sson as is gets past the firewall, an increase to 2.25, then under the passenger seat 2.5 to get past the suspension. Then a 2.5 in/3.0 out muffler and if a tip is needed, 3.5".
This would result in a low, determined sound. Not our V8 rumble, but surely not a 'fart can' either. A 1.6 with only the timing manually bumped, 93 pump gas and this exhaust would increase from 106 bhp to 130 bhp. That's a 30% increase. Try THAT on a V8!
Scavenging has the same effect on nearly ANY motor, but to differing degrees.
This creates the 'fad' of the big exhaust tip. Too many only do the 'fart can' for looks and end up with that anoying a$$ sound we all hate.

Disclaimer: These are the ramblings of a rehabilitated ricer.