PDA

View Full Version : 2003 TBird first impressions

jerrym3
06-18-2003, 07:55 AM
If you are interested in only the Marauder, don't bother to read on.

I decided to purchase a new TBird instead of the MM. My plan was to replace my 94 TBird with a new 2003 TBird, or replace my old 89 Towncar with an MM. I decided to do the TBird first. Just couldn't resist the A-Z plan price. (About 5K off list.)

With the terrible weather here in the northeast, I only have 300 miles on the car, even though I've had it for about a month, but I've learned a lot just in that short time.

The good

You can't help but get noticed or get "thumbs up" when driving this car. It's a magnet to all, not just to gearheads like us. People driving Porches turn around to look at my black/saddle interior TBird.

Performance is outstanding, to say the least. There are times when, due to traffic conditions, I've had to nail it, and it goes like a bat. Makes my 94 TBird 4.6 feel slow. With a 3:58 rear and 17" wheels/tires, there's no need for a gear or chip change; it just flat out goes. 0-60 should mid mid/low sixes.

Seats are nicely firm, radio is more than I could ask for, although I question the need for two different speaker settings for the "driver" or for "all", especially in such a small listening area. Same can be said for different temperature settings.

Woofers from the back gives a nice bass, and there's no problem hearing the 6 CD in dash player while doing highway speeds with the top down. Also has DSP mode, but I still find myself listening in the "normal" positon most of the time.

I thought that the manumatic would be just a toy, but I find that I use it more than I thought, and will most likely use it more once it's broken in and blasts to the redline are good to go. Trans allows 2nd or 3rd gear starts in bad weather, which this car will never see. Manumatic allows nice gear selection when accelerating or decelerating.

I never thought I needed heated seats, but with the top down on a cool night, they worked great.

I like it so much that I've decided to keep the 94 (as a commuter/bad weather car) at least until I retire and can regularly keep the 2003 in the garage in bad weather.

The bad

Car does ride a little "jiggely" (high tech terminology) on bad surfaces, but it's acceptable. Trunk is too shallow; there's no cassette player (I can't even locate the CD's that I taped years ago); I would have liked to have an entry keypad for times when I need to get in the car or open the trunk and I don't have my keys; it's a little bit tough to enter with the roof on, or up, and I'm only 5'10'; wheels are unattractive, but I can change that in the future; paint is good, but no better than my black 94; no adjustable pedals (??); only a three year warranty.

Dash could have a little more glitz to it, although the white faced gauges are very nice especially when compared to the 2002's gauges. It's Lincoln LS all the way, but that doesn't bother me (as long as I don't have a Lincoln LS.) Plan to check out the dash aftermarket to add the satin finish to the center control cluster, or get the pieces from Lincoln.

Tough to read the dashboard gear indicator in the sunlight, and there's been more than once where I should have been in a different gear, but the car is so quiet, you can't tell unless you watch the tach, which doesn't show the 6500 redline (??).

Now the real dilemma; I don't need three "toys" (58 TBird, 64 Galaxy convert, and the 2003 TBird.) One has to go, even if I eventually sell the 94.

So, it's either the 58 or the 64, and that's going to be a tough, tough call.

Ross
06-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Jerry, what will you take for the '58 T Bird? :rolleyes:

Long Live #3
06-18-2003, 10:52 AM
The '03 T-bird is ok, but I think the 90's T-bird looks the best. (Seeing as how I own one.)

chapel1
06-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Cool looking car the 03 T-Bird.Use to have a 60 T-Bird,it was my first car bought it used from my Grandmother.I have some fond memories of that old Bird.

JohnnyB
06-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Had a 1979 T-Bird, 1988 Turbo Coupe and a 1997 LX Sport. I think the 03 bird is cool but over priced...

jrzygrl
06-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by chapel1
Grandmother.I have some fond memories of that old Bird. I won't even go there..............

chapel1
06-18-2003, 08:07 PM
Your bad bad girl jrzygrl.I'm going to watching you now!And you better be good or I'm going to tell on you!:D

JGaignat
06-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Jerry, I was the proud "baby sitter" of an 03 T-Bird from 2-1-03 until I delivered it to my older sister in Vegas on 2-20-03. Hers is the charcoal gray color with black interior. It was beautiful. She saw it here in Kansas City in December. She was going to buy one in Vegas, but they wanted $7,000 above sticker + she was going to have to wait 4 months for one. She bought the one here and I drove it to Vegas with my best friend. What a great time. Every age group and gender turned their head at that car. The weekend I picked it up, it was unseasonably warm here in KC. I took the top off and drove it everywhere. I couldn't believe how we didn't get blown to bits with the top off going 70 on the highway. The engineers knew what they were doing with that car. It got me in the mood to get a "fun" car. On 3-22-03, I traded in my 96 Blazer with a broken A/C, oil leak, and mushy front end for my new baby....my black MM. I loved that T-Bird though. It was the most fun I've had behind the wheel. The drive through New Mexico and Arizona was awesome. I wish we could have had the top off. Isn't it cool the way the windows move slightly when the door is opened?

My sister loves the car. She drove it from Vegas to KC in April. It is one fine ride. I wish I had the cash to have one for myself. I told her that she needs to get a 2005 model since it will be the 50th anniversary. Maybe she'll make me a good deal on the 03. She got personalized Nevada plates that say "RUNVUS" (are you envious?)

Enjoy your bird.

John

RCSignals
06-18-2003, 11:43 PM
jerrym3 you won't regret buying that T-Bird. Very nice review, and if that's what's "bad" well the car is pretty darned great.
Like the MM, the only people I know who have bad things to say about it, are the ones who don't own them and only get info from magazines.
Everyone I know who owns the new Bird loves it.

Now, you know you're going to have to work on putting that Marauder in the garage ;)

jrzygrl
06-19-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by chapel1
Your bad bad girl jrzygrl.I'm going to watching you now!And you better be good or I'm going to tell on you!:D Sorry I just couldn't help it, really.....I PROMISE to be GOOD :(

jrzygrl
06-19-2003, 05:02 PM
All kidding aside I do have the "hots" for the T-bird too, the looks get me every time I see one.

MarauderBoy
06-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Jerry, give me a pm with the particulars on the '64

jerrym3
07-15-2003, 07:22 AM
first impressions: update

The biggest complaint about the car has been taken care of.

It seems that the car is shipped form the factory with 45+ air pressure. Thanks to suggestions on the ThunderBirdNest chatbox, I checked the tires and found them all to be 45 minimum with a few closer to 50.

Backed off on the pressure and the ride greatly improved. Still a little jiggly, but totaly acceptable. So much for dealer prep.

Getting near 650 miles, and still can't get over what a joy it is to drive.

The black/saddle interior polarizes people; it's easy to tell those that like it and those that are being politically correct. But, I like it.

Considering adding the dashkit either in Burlwood or matching aluminum. As much as I like the wood look, I can't help but wonder if a three shaded interior (charcoal/aluminum/burlwood) is overkill. Needs more thought, but the interior needs something.

Still haven't gone through two tanks of gas, but mileage appears to exceed 20 mpg in what is mostly a 50/50 highway/street commute. SST shift mode is fun, except that , with the top down, it's difficult to see what gear you're in due to dashboard glare. Car is so smooth/quiet that it's easy to over rev before the tach catches your eye.

Takes a few "ups and downs" before the soft top closed with minimal effort.

Only noticeable defect: radio has gone from CD to AM on it's own twice.

Aftermarket appearance add-ons are all over the place, some going to the ridiculous extreme. (Skirts???????)

Considering replacing the hood scoop bezel with a chrome one available from Ford. (I know, "chrome?", but I've seen pictures and it does look good. Otherwise, the hoodscoop is almost invisible.)

This car is so great, I can only imagine that it didn't sell because the younger up and coming affluent crowd wants the BMW or Porche, while the empty nesters, like me, may be more interested in retaining their cash for retirement or leaving it for the kids.

Still can't get myself to put the 64 Galaxie or the 58 Squarebird up for sale. (Put the Galaxie into the local July 4th parade; tough car to part with.)

Decisions, decisions.

WolfeBros
07-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Jerry your Tbird is definitely a nice looking ride.
I bet the black with sable looks awesome as well.
The only thing that kept me from buying one was the interior.
It was too much like the Lincoln LS and I just drove an LS for three years so I wanted a change. I have to say that the TBird turns my head everytime I see one though. Enjoy it !

jgc61sr2002
07-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Jerry - Your T Bird is a great car. If you don't like the chrome hood scoop bezel you can always change it back. LOL :up:

jerrym3
08-22-2003, 08:06 AM
update

Car now has 1,000 miles and there is nothing to ask the dealer to correct! Nada.

Mileage is 21-22 in 50/50 driving. (I'm still a little bit hesitant to nail it, but when I need to get up to freeway traffic quickly, there's no delay whatsoever.)

Paniced yesterday.

Parked behind two large vehicles (truck and bus) at a NJ Garden State Parkway tollbooth. After about two minutes of standing still, the reverse lights on the bus in front of me went on and he starts to back up!!!

Meanwhile, there's another truck on my bumper and he can't back up.

Panic time. Sat on the horn and started waving like an idiot hoping that the driver would see me in time. Don't know if the bus was equipped with a rear camera or not, but the Bird was too small for him to see just by using mirrors.

Well, he did stop, and we had to use another lane (EZ Pass) to get going. (Now I'll probably get an EZPass ticket.)

Biggest problem with the car: I find very little free time to drive the 64 or 58.

Bought the chrome hood scoop (standard on the Neiman Marcus model). Price of the scoop was $60 in 2002. Thanks to the increased demand, it's now $127 with a Ford discount.

Capitalism at work.

MM with NY plates was behind my black 94 LX this morning in Bergen County NJ. Any of you folks?

MERCMAN
08-22-2003, 08:54 AM
how does the bird compare in performance to the MM? I almost bought a T-bird instead, but found out I would have had to remove either my head or legs to drive it.:(

jerrym3
08-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Don't own an MM. Test drove one. Didn't beat the heck out of it with the salesman sitting next to me. (Still haven't thrashed the TBird.)

Butt feel: the MM felt heavy while the TBird, even though they weigh over 3,700 lbs, felt "light". TBird seemed to move out with less effort, but then, it has a 3:58 rear and a five speed trans.

Not really a true evaluation; just an around town, casual driving butt feel. Probably be a tight run as the stock MM is supposed to come on as the RPMs go up. 2003 Bird is supposed to do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds or less.

Some 02 Bird drivers who have driven an 03 claim that the "drive by wire" and the V VT have made a solid improvement, 2002 compared to 2003.

But the MM, using the "butt feel" measuring device, made my 94 TBird 4.6 LX feel like it was towing something.

Bottom line, if I decide that my 89 Towncar should be put out to pasture, the MM would be high on my list, except that my wife saw an all black CV Sport from the rear and side and didn't like it. (Unfortunately, the 4 dr would be her car.)

You are correct about the car being small inside. At 5'10", I'm OK, but my brother-in-law at 6' has to struggle a little getting in.

Unless, of course, you have a cold/bad weather car and the TBird always has the top down. Getting in is easy then.

dailydriver
08-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Since when is a guy driving a Porsche automaticly not a "gear head"?

amerikan
08-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Jerry, congradulations on the purchase i have only heard good things about the 03 t-bird. I use to own a 1956 bird... and i'd say that in ten years we put 300 miles on it. I actually sold the 56 bird to purchase the marauder :) And i'd never want that 56 back.. the marauder is great.

Merc-O-matic
08-23-2003, 07:57 AM
What year did they say they would
STOP T-Bird production? Might
have to get on board before this
round is over.
Gotta Love It!

MERCMAN
08-23-2003, 10:16 AM
T-Bird is dead after '04 same as MM

Long Live #3
08-23-2003, 01:47 PM
That car had so much potential, and it was all for naught.

jerrym3
11-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Opened up a gallery today with pictures taken from a weekend ride through Bear Mountain, NY. (Mine is the black with saddle; my brother-in-law owns the black with black.)

Just about 2,100 miles on the Bird and the only problem so far is a CD player that stopped playing for about three weeks, started playing for about two weeks, and is back to not playing. The unit doesn't like to eject a CD from slot #4 and binds up.

Plan to put pictures of my 58 Bird, 94 Bird, and 64 Galaxie soon as I can. (Still can't get myself to sell the 58 or 64 even though I'm putting less than 1,000 miles per year on either car.)

Smokie
11-03-2003, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jerrym3
[B]If you are interested in only the Marauder, don't bother to read on.

Jerry we love the MM. but we can certainly appreciate other cars. The new T=Bird is a unique car and I agree with you that it does turn heads. I usually find myself staring at them when one passes by. Enjoy your new ride!:coolman:

GarageMahal
11-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by mercman
I almost bought a T-bird instead, but found out I would have had to remove either my head or legs to drive it.:(

I could not have said it better. I went to look at a T-bird before the MMs were available. I really liked the styling and the hard top convert ability but there was no way I could drive it safely for any distance. (I was staring at the top rail of the roof once I finally wiggled my way in to it)

jta

miamisilvermm
11-03-2003, 06:43 PM
The T-bird is an eye catcher. The mm is a real car.

jerrym3
11-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Miamisilvermm:

Don't exactly know what you mean by "eye catcher" vs "real car", but here's some TBird info to consider:

DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
variable valve timing
280 hp (13.5 lbs per hp; 13.8 lbs/hp for the MM)
5 speed, select shift automatic trans
3:58 rear end ratio
drive by wire throttle control
independent rear suspension
0-60 in 6.5 seconds or less
traction control

Just eye candy?

Basically, the TBird's a Lincoln LS convertible with a slightly softer suspension. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think that the TBird will easily handle any twisty, two lane mountain road in the Miami, Florida, area.

Not dissing the MM here; I roadtested and almost bought one; still might if there around for 2005.

But, being a convertible lover with no need for a back seat, putting the top down on a crisp fall day, turning on the seat warmer, playing around with the select shift trans, and listening to a few choice CDs (when I get a chance to get the damn unit fixed): priceless.