PDA

View Full Version : Who here can honestly say....

Motorhead350
03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
....that they care about gas mileage? I'm tell you I don't. At the rate things are going, now would be the time to enjoy our gas guzzlers and buy our power adder toys. I don't think I can ever see myself buying anything alternative fuel unless it's a golf kart for stupid-young-guy-who-wants-to-have-fun reasons. If you look at the target market it's at people my age and some a bit older. I don't see a reason to be buying something that looks like a jelly bean no matter who makes it. Style is style and fast is fast.

Now I know some of us here have other cars other then Marauders, but how many of you have a "work" or "school" car and the Marauder is only for special occasions? Do any of you ever plan on getting anything with less than eight cylinders? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these cars, they just do not interest me at all and I don't think we need them... at least right now. Your thoughts?

cyclopsram
03-12-2007, 03:18 AM
Buy and drive what you want....seems like a plan to me...

DefyantExWife
03-12-2007, 03:22 AM
I dont drive enough to care about gas mileage. But I do get pissed every time I hit empty because I'm usually too busy to stop and get more.

I then remember the episode of Seinfeld when Kramer was driving his vehicle to see how far below the empty mark you could really go, and then I just floor it and yell..... :woohoo:

Bigdogjim
03-12-2007, 04:53 AM
I see it as funny because I know people who talk about how they got the car based on MPG and drive like a race car driver?

Wires
03-12-2007, 05:08 AM
I tell the folks at work that people only brag about fuel mileage because they can't brag about power.

Like DW, I don't drive enough to care - I carpool with my wife to work for a 32 mile round trip daily. Marauder takes about 1.5 gallons a day, a reduction to 1 gallon a day would be about 5 bucks a week. I'd sooner be comfortable, driving what I like than cramped in some POS economy car with a bad ride and no power.

DefyantExWife
03-12-2007, 06:09 AM
I live in Maryland, my job is in Indianapolis, so its all online from home. My car takes the kids to gymnastics, CCD, and then grocery shopping, oh and puppy obedience school :rolleyes:

The Big Stu
03-12-2007, 06:19 AM
I drive 32 miles one way 5 or 6 days a week...if I ever get the Marauder payed off I might look into something like a prius...if I can tolerate not driving the real car.

Bluerauder
03-12-2007, 07:37 AM
....that they care about gas mileage?
Gas mileage wasn't even on my radar screen when I went shopping for the Bluerauder. Not even a consideration in the purchase. :D

Much of the MPG debate is based on perception anyway. I mentioned to the wife yesterday that the MM was more fuel efficient than her Ford Freestyle. She's getting 16.6 city and 24.0 highway (3.0 Liter Duratek). The MM gets 17.5 city and 24.5 highway (4.6 Liter DOHC). It doesn't seem right, but that's the way the numbers fall out. :P

SID210SA
03-12-2007, 07:54 AM
I am concerned only because it is my dailey driver....gas keeps creeping up and its no fun to pay 40-45 bucks to fill her up, but it sure is fun to get her empty....and at the rate I drive....she will have well over 110k on her before I pay her off....

Dr Caleb
03-12-2007, 08:09 AM
I care very much, in my daily driver. If it exceeds 9.8 l/100km, then there is a problem. It's in indication of something else that is wrong and should be taken care of - pronto. Otherwise I might as well be chucking money out the window while I drive.

In my Marauder, I don't care about fuel economy. I'm still on the same tank of gas as I was in October. Haven't turned the key since the first snowfall.

Probabally still has factory windsheld washer fluid in it too. I think there is still fewer than 25,000km on it since it was new. With that kind of road time, I try to run as much fuel through it whenever I can.

Bluerauder
03-12-2007, 08:47 AM
....gas keeps creeping up and its no fun to pay 40-45 bucks to fill her up....

I agree. No fun at all. So, when gas was up over $3 per gallon, I would top off more frequently. Somehow -- a couple of $25s didn't feel as bad as one $50. It's a psychological sort of thing. ;)

Bull
03-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Not all alternative fuels mean you lose performance. There are good alternatives other than electric-hybrid cars. Diesels for instance are becomming the new hot rods on the road and there is very little power loss in running Biodiesel. My 06 F-250 diesel is my primary driver and I run it on biodiesel on a regular basis, I love driving my marauder but I don't take it out all the time. Also, a few months back Car Craft magazine published an article on a E85 engine they built that put out more than 500hp. Keep in mind that E85 is 105 octane which = more boost/compression. There are good alternatives out there that don't necessarily compromise performance.

crouse
03-12-2007, 09:49 AM
I rarely check my gas mileage. It get's what it get's for mileage, so what are you going to do. I only drive about 20 miles per day to and from work, however, if I drove 50 or more miles per day I might care about mileage.

DeadVic
03-12-2007, 09:51 AM
i drive an 01 CVLX daily. it has 2.73 gears. I drive it HARD. it gets 19 MPG in city driving with my heavy foot. i could get 25 if I were driving miss daisy. 6MPG @ 20 gallon a week = 120 miles or ~$12.50 a week in order to drive it like I like to drive. and, I can't think of another 6 cylinder car (or a performance 4 cylinder for that matter) that I could get 19 MPG and hold up to the beating given my driving preferences. Can you?

The only reason the MM doesn't get driven is risk of damage and the miles. I want to keep it forever, so it doens't get out but on weekends.

Motorhead350
03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Wires;477406]I tell the folks at work that people only brag about fuel mileage because they can't brag about power.[QUOTE]
haha never thought of that. Keep those posts coming, this is interesting.

ckadiddle
03-12-2007, 11:42 AM
My commute is five miles one way. That allows me to think about fun, not fuel. Between both of us we drive maybe six or seven thousand miles a year spread across the Marauder and the Mustang. We just don't drive that much. But we sure do have fun!

Leadfoot281
03-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Not all alternative fuels mean you lose performance. There are good alternatives other than electric-hybrid cars. Diesels for instance are becomming the new hot rods on the road and there is very little power loss in running Biodiesel. My 06 F-250 diesel is my primary driver and I run it on biodiesel on a regular basis, I love driving my marauder but I don't take it out all the time. Also, a few months back Car Craft magazine published an article on a E85 engine they built that put out more than 500hp. Keep in mind that E85 is 105 octane which = more boost/compression. There are good alternatives out there that don't necessarily compromise performance.

Wow, I think that makes three people here that read Car Craft magazine! That article/engine build-up was really eye opening. When I finally overhaul my 351W it'll be built specifically for E-85.

As far as milage is concerned, for me it's all about smiles per gallon not miles per gallon. I'll bet that half of the vehicals I've owned so far have been in the single digits.

O's Fan Rich
03-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Ga s mileage is important We are so wasteful in this country we need to think about the children.
Their future is more important than our being able to have the car we want.
Soon, the polar ice caps will be melted and sea level will increase by 30 feet. We have to do something NOW or life as we know will be over.
Global warming is a real threat. If we don't take individual personal responsibility now, it's all over people.
So each of us must do our share now.

This message is not intended for:
Al Gore, Nance Pelosi, Arnold Swartzenegger, George Clooney, or anyone who is politically connected, works in the House of Representatives, Senate or Federal government. Any one who has had at least one Oscar or other "major" entertainment award or who disess the President while trying to sell Country Music.

Tom Doan
03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Yeh shur, when DW (NASCAR) says "boggity, boggity, boggity" I raise my fist and say "up yours Al Gore". I spent years saving gas and driving little turds just for you... and then I meet you and said WTH for? You will get your "Mr. Fussion" (Back to the future) at Wal Mart the day after the last drop of gas is used, save the planet, plant your right foot. Tom

Bruce Wayne
03-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah , sure I care about gas milage ,when I'm driving my winter beater ('89 T-bird) but as soon as my foot hits the Marauder's gas pedal, in the spring, I'll be grinnin' like a cheshire cat! and I'll be burning my fair share of fossil fuel, and burnin' rubber too!

Motorhead350
03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
"Mr. Fussion"

That would be sweet, but that was for time travel only, the car still ran on normal octance fuel. Thats why they couldn't feed it garbage in 1885 to get it up to speed. :rolleyes:

1stMerc
03-12-2007, 08:02 PM
I agree. No fun at all. So, when gas was up over $3 per gallon, I would top off more frequently. Somehow -- a couple of $25s didn't feel as bad as one $50. It's a psychological sort of thing. ;)

Same here i seldom go lower than half a tank around town driving. But on long trips i run it pretty close to empty. I have a 5 speed 4 banger, but it has pretty much been sitting since i got the M. Matter of fact its time to get it inspected again and it probably only has 100 miles on it since same ritual two years ago. Marauder is just to much fun. Trucks only for fishing and hauling big items.

Mopar Boy
03-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Yea we need to thank Al Gore, didn't he invent this here Internet... ;) :P :) At least that was his claim a few years back. :bigcry:

I have fun with my DD, near 300 HP and I get 30 MPG driving it easy. I use to check it all the time but I just dont see the need any longer.

I've never checked the work Vicky and I dont think it would do any good either. :o

SlkMerc
03-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I bought my MM when my town car started to get tired. The TC got around 16 in daily Long Beach traffic as I drive 90% city. I have 2 other cars ( 46 Ford Sedan and a 56 F100, both are rodded ) so my MM is the daily driver.
I knew what I was getting into, a hot car w/hot looks and balls to match.

As some of you know from previous posts, I RARELY drive it hard. Sure I get on it but not like what Ive read here. Gas here just went to $3.20. The best tank ive ever gotten was 230 miles and from the numbers you guys post, Im on the down side for a car that isnt modded:confused:.

So hell yes Im concerned about reasonably decent mileage. Any ideas why my MPG at 14 at best?

Thanks!

Motorhead350
03-12-2007, 09:26 PM
I Any ideas why my MPG at 14 at best?

I think you said it best with the way you drive. I think we can only get around 15 mpg city or 17. I have gone about 240 in the city and I'm bone dry and I have gone 340 before my gas light went on. It's all about how you drive. When I got it to go 340 miles I was at 70 the whole time and when I went for a pass, I made sure I didn't down shift. Again all in the driving. ;) Sounds like you got some cool rods too. Are they rat rods, original, pro street...exc?

SlkMerc
03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
46 Ford Sedan: 4.6 2V with headers, cam, intake, tune. IRS and IFS. Stock body, Boyds Series 1 wheels. PS, AC, PW 4 whl discs. 46 Lincoln Maroon paint

F100: 5.4 from a navigator, Art Carr tranny, electric shifted, Jag front suspension and rear end. widened rear fenders. Candy Eggplant paint, custom interior.

Motorhead350
03-13-2007, 01:45 AM
F100: 5.4 from a navigator

Sorry I asked. Naa j/k. I was hoping to hear something like FlatHead or something like that, but it seems like you want it to work all the time. :D

Bluerauder
03-13-2007, 06:49 AM
So hell yes Im concerned about reasonably decent mileage. Any ideas why my MPG at 14 at best?

Thanks!
Dirty air filter?
Low tire air pressure all around?
Poor air flow?
Cheap gas?
Towing a trailer?
Spend alot of time sitting still idling at traffic lights?

I romp on mine all the time and am still getting 17.5 mpg around town. :rolleyes:

SlkMerc
03-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Dirty air filter?
Low tire air pressure all around?
Poor air flow?
Cheap gas?
Towing a trailer?
Spend alot of time sitting still idling at traffic lights?

I romp on mine all the time and am still getting 17.5 mpg around town. :rolleyes:
K&N cone, I clean it to once a month and do not saturate it
Air pressure is set to what the tires require
Poor air flow?...I have a JLT CAI so I assume that's ok
Cheap gas? We can only get 91octane here, I use Chevron
Towing a trailer..........Yes I pull doubles..No, no trailer
Time at idle? maybe a minute or two

It does have 62k on it, could it be that?

whoskal
03-13-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't drive anything less than 8 cylinders.........

so I guess I can say that I don't care about MPG

vkirkend
03-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Do like me, keep the Marauder for fun and a high mpg car for the daily runs....

SC Cheesehead
03-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Ga s mileage is important We are so wasteful in this country we need to think about the children.
Their future is more important than our being able to have the car we want.
Soon, the polar ice caps will be melted and sea level will increase by 30 feet. We have to do something NOW or life as we know will be over.
Global warming is a real threat. If we don't take individual personal responsibility now, it's all over people.
So each of us must do our share now.

This message is not intended for:
Al Gore, Nance Pelosi, Arnold Swartzenegger, George Clooney, or anyone who is politically connected, works in the House of Representatives, Senate or Federal government. Any one who has had at least one Oscar or other "major" entertainment award or who disess the President while trying to sell Country Music.

This guy knows HUMOR!!:D

BTW, I love making my big ol' carbon Marauder footprint!

SCCH

JamesHecker
03-13-2007, 08:54 PM

Guess what. I'ts over $3 per gallon again. I paid $3.18 for 91 octane a couple of days ago and it's still on it's way up here in So Cal!

But I will tell you one thing...I'm not gonna let it 'slow' me down!

Marauder386
03-13-2007, 11:16 PM
I never gave gas prices a thought when I started buying these cars...I still dont care with the power adder's on them...and read my Sig...

:cool:

96DiamondVIII
03-14-2007, 09:14 AM
At the current time my work "commute" is about 2 miles each way, with usually another couple 1 to 3 mile trips during the day. So the poor city MPG isn't really a concern of mine. The highway is passable (I do some highway driving but not a lot...I think only once have I ever put more than 10K on one of my cars in a year...).
However, if I had an actual commute to work, I'd think about getting something more economical for the trip, and keeping the MM as my nights/weekends car. A friend of mine has an '83 Mercedes 300D....says it gets great mileage, very reliable, solid and roomy, and will run forever, just have to tolerate the fact that it's slow. Something like that could be a plausible DD where I wouldn't feel trapped in a tiny compact but would not be paying an arm and a leg for fuel.

RoyLPita
03-14-2007, 10:13 AM
I get about the same on my MM as I did on my earlier 4 panther platform vehicles. If the mileage dips way below what I am used to, I take it to work and ask them "WHY".

Dragcity
03-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Oh, I drive mine daily. Most weeks I drive 85 miles to work, and 85 miles home... I am typically at 78 MPH with bursts to....oh, about 120 MPH as needed. Fill-up every other day.

So what's your point????

Some day, I expect this to be my Alcohol Funny Car....

I am at 35,779 mi. on my odo now (funny, it's been there for the past 6 months)

In reality, I have upwards of 65,000 mi right now.

Car runs and rides like a dream. I prolly get a full 23 MPG.

I just switched to Mobil 1, maybe it'll get even better???

I could save lots o' $$$$$$ in a fuel pincher, but can't stand the cramped interiors for 3 hours a day.

Now, my old Thunderbird gets about 6 MPG. Needs a rebuild real bad...

whd507
03-14-2007, 08:05 PM
I drive mine 50+ miles a day, 70 most days, and I'm hoping to put 500k on it before I die, and about 200k before I retire.

it gets great mileage... anything over ten mpg is great in my book... (20c/24h so far though)