PDA

View Full Version : Vacation in Denver CO

jdando
03-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Questions for the locals or anyone with good ideas.....

The wife and I will be in Denver CO in the middle of May for four days. Any good ideas for things to see and do?

Here is what I have thought of so far;

Drive to Pikes Peak

Stay at a ski resort

Go see a Rockies game

Drive through the mountains

Any ideas appreciated!!

jeremy

jgc61sr2002
03-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Pikes Peak is an excellent idea.:D Bring a warm cloths it's mighty cool up there.

jim geary
03-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Travel south to Durango. Spend time there and then travel just a short ways
north to Silverton minning town. Lots to see.

murphypeople
03-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey Jeremy,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
That is a lot to do in four days. Since I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Denver</st1:City> I have never been to a <st1:place w:st="on">Rockies</st1:place> game. I hear the stadium is nice. Maybe it is worth your time if you like that sort of things. I have done <st1:place w:st="on">Pikes Peak</st1:place>, twice. Once I drove and the other time I took the Cog Railroad. Way cool and scary too at parts. The track literally is 2' or less from the edge in places. I don't think I am exaggerating. <o:p></o:p>
Make sure you review this link http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com/ (http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com/). It has information you need to know…including how you will need at least a half tank of gas to make the trip up and down. Other stuff too like fees and all that. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The Pikes Peak experience is not exactly cheap…but that’s okay…there is not another <st1:place w:st="on">Pikes Peak</st1:place> anywhere else. Oh ya keep in mind that the weather will be different on top than it is at the bottom (14,110 elevation). They will lock you in the “gift shop” area if there is lighting. Happened to me and my family. I think we had to wait 20 minutes. And yes it was life safety issue. Just FYI.<o:p></o:p>
Driving in the Mountains? I recommend you have a destination in mind. <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Vail</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Village</st1:PlaceType>, in Vail <st1:State w:st="on">Colorado</st1:State>, (2hrs from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Denver</st1:place></st1:City>) may do it for you. After you see that (2hr Plus?) try to drive on to a place with some actual Colorado History. Glenwood Springs comes to mind. There are some cool hotels and a <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">hot springs</st1:place></st1:City> there. If you do this you will want to make it an over night for sure. This driving is all on I-70. Trust me…I-70 through the mountains is excellent road way. Highly maintained by the state and very modern. This can not be said for I-70 east of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Denver</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
I am no travel agent; but if you “do the mountains” consider getting a hotel room and work your way back to “town/Denver” in the AM.<o:p></o:p>
I am sure you will enjoy your time in CO!!:banana2: <o:p></o:p>
Just my .02<o:p></o:p>
Tony<o:p></o:p>
:burnout:

murphypeople
03-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Travel south to Durango. Spend time there and then travel just a short ways
north to Silverton minning town. Lots to see.

Yup^^^^The south west corner is very nice too. It will take you 6-8 hours to drive to Durango (one way):cowboy: .

murphypeople
03-13-2007, 08:04 PM
From Denver that is...

TooManyFords
03-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Visit the "Garden of the Gods" in Colorado Springs. Also head over to Canon City CO and ride the Royal Gorge Railroad scenic train. Well worth it. If you're first in line you can ride in the engine!

Oh, and head over to see the StarGate!

John

00 Aggie
03-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Bunch to do, all of those are fine, skip the Rockies game, they usually suck, go hang out in LoDo instead!

VIKINGMM
03-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Go see Red Rocks, a natural amphitheater on the west side of Denver.
Its close and the acoustics are incredible. Also, a drive to Frisco thru the
Eisenhower Tunnel isn't bad and there are some great resaurants and neat
shops for the wife. Ski areas are nearby.

Have fun.

2003_MM_FYRE49
03-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Take a ride up to Loveland and then head East on Big Thompson Pass, assuming that you will have your Marauder. You'll have a blast driving the twisties going to Estes Park. Once you get to Estes Park stay at the Aspen Winds. It is right along the Fall River. You won't find a more relaxing place anywhere. If you do stay there tell Phil that I sent you there. www.aspenwinds.com (http://www.aspenwinds.com) The trip to Durango is also nice but you need more than four days for that trip. Pikes Peak is a lot of fun in the Marauder also. If you take a ride down to the Springs make sure you stop at Garden of the Gods and the Air Force Academy.

mpearce
03-14-2007, 02:03 AM
I lived in Boulder for 8 years earlier in my life, and went to Colorado last year on my honeymoon. All ideas above are fantastic.

If you're only going to be there for 4 days, keep it close. My suggestions...

Denver

Boulder

Estes Park - Stanley Hotel
- Rocky Mountain National Park (unreal)
- Trail Ridge Road - Highest Paved road in the USA

Colorado Springs - Garden of the Gods
- Pikes Peak Cog Railroad

If you're up for more than that in 4 days...more power to you.

If you really have it up to drive to a ski resort...try Aspen, and try going over Independence Pass (if it's open) - Second Highest paved road in the US

Going over Independence pass from Leadville is absolutely amazing with all the Aspen trees.

Good luck, and have fun.

-Mat

Eric91Z
03-14-2007, 03:56 AM
I lived in Boulder for 8 years earlier in my life, and went to Colorado last year on my honeymoon. All ideas above are fantastic.

If you're only going to be there for 4 days, keep it close. My suggestions...

Denver

Boulder

Estes Park - Stanley Hotel
- Rocky Mountain National Park (unreal)
- Trail Ridge Road - Highest Paved road in the USA

Colorado Springs - Garden of the Gods
- Pikes Peak Cog Railroad

If you're up for more than that in 4 days...more power to you.

If you really have it up to drive to a ski resort...try Aspen, and try going over Independence Pass (if it's open) - Second Highest paved road in the US

Going over Independence pass from Leadville is absolutely amazing with all the Aspen trees.

Good luck, and have fun.

-Mat

I would have to advise of the same thing. I do miss living out there. Estes Park is a nice area for a day drip.

Maybe if you pick a day to go to Estes Park you can stop in Boulder on your way there from Denver. Hit Pearle Street Mall - this is a pedestrian walking mall that is about 4 or 5 blocks long with shops, restaurants, and street entertainers.

Also, if you go down to Colorado Springs, I would highly recommend driving around the Air Force Academy grounds and at least checking out the Chapel. Plus, classes shouldn't be done yet, so if you get there around the lunch hour, you can see noon formation and marching to lunch. It is a pretty impressive site (even more impressive when you are one of the people in formation...). Then go hit Garden of the Gods. Drive through, get out and climb around on stuff, take it all in. If you spend a night down there and the weather is decent, you can see about the Western Ranch place you can go for a family fun time. They do an old western dinner and then a big stage show. Definitely fun for the family, but I am pretty sure you need reservations, so look in to it a head of time.

mrjones
03-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Jeremy, I want to second what some have already said about Pikes Peak and Rocky Mountain National Park. However, there is another place to go that is similar and free: Mt. Evans. It's out west of Denver. I was out there July 4 a few years ago. There was a lake at 12K ft that was still frozen, and it snowed that day. Don't pass it up. Take I-70 W to Idaho Springs, then 103 to 5.

2003_MM_FYRE49
03-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Another site to see in Colorado Springs is the International Association of Fire Fighters Fallen Fire Fighter Memorial. Head South on I-25 and exit onto Cimarron St East. Take that 5 blocks to Tejon St. and turn left. Take Tejon 4 blocks to Colorado Ave. and turn right. Colorado Ave turns into Pikes Peak Ave. after a few blocks you'll see Memorial Park on your right. It's on the corner of Pikes Peak Ave. and Hancock Ave. To get the full effect of the Memorial stand and look at it from the east. The names of fire fighters that have fallen in the line of duty are engraved there.

Eric91Z
03-14-2007, 06:23 AM
One more thing to keep in mind. If you will be up in teh moutains in May, make sure you take appropriate clothing as you can still get caught out in a snow storm. And, if you go to Pikes Peak and take the cog rail to the top, it will be quite cool up there that time of year. I was up there in mid-June one year in shorts and a t-shirt and was cold. I think it is around 12,000 or 14,000 feet high at the top?

And I also got caught in a late spring snow storm in Estes Park one year. Absolutely beautiful morning and drive up there. Then got cloudy while we were there, started to snow, and about 4 inches in 30 minutes or so. Plus the black ice on the drive back was interesting to say the least. All in my '93 Camaro Z28.

Just saying - be prepared.

jdando
04-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey cats and kittens;

Still working on the trip plans. Thanks for all the good suggestions! Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice hotel in the Vail, Frisco, Breckenridge, Leadville area? Looking for something with awesome views, quiet mountain area and great coffee:D

This will be for one night 14 May (mothers day).

We will then travel to the Colorado springs area and stay at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort (http://www.cheyennemountain.com/default.asp) for two days and then head back to Denver on Wednesday.

jeremy

murphypeople
04-25-2007, 10:50 PM
When I traveled that territory I just stopped at the chain hotels we all know well. There are lots of B&Bs but I don't have a recommendation for you. I would need to do a Google search myself. Go with your gut.

I hope someone can make a real recommendation. Have a great Time!!!:banana2:

Tony:beer:
:burnout:

2003_MM_FYRE49
04-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice hotel in the Vail, Frisco, Breckenridge, Leadville area?

Hey Jeremy, if you don't have to stay in Vail head west on I-70 for a few miles to Beaver Creek, CO. I've stayed at both the Beaver Creek Inn and The Charter. Both have great views and great ammeneties. In Brekenridge I stay at The Beaver Run Resort another excellent hotel that kisses your a$$.