PDA

View Full Version : Will Ford Cover This Warranty Case??

pantheroc
03-13-2007, 06:20 PM
I have a 97 Contour GL 2.5L. I had problems and threw a few codes, one of them P0715 for TSS (Turbine Speed Sensor) intermittant. So I purchased a new TSS (have receipt) on 2/26/2007. I replaced it 3/3/2007 and it didn't fix the problem. So I put off working on the car for a few days, the weather was going to be good Sunday 3/11. So on Sunday, I tested wiring harness continuity for the sensor all the way back to the computer. The wiring was at fault. So I built a bypass cable and car is working great now, no more codes.

I get on contour.org, after my fix, and see that there was a 10yr/100K recall (99M03) for a wiring harness replacement due to insulation cracking on wires. Well, I hit my ten year date on Sat 3/10/2007. Man was I PO'd, missed by one day!!!

My question is, do I have a leg to stand on, legally, to say I had this problem before warranty expiry. I have a dated receipt of the TSS I purchased, from a Ford dealer before the warranty expired. I also kept the frayed/cracked wires that fell apart in my hand, see photo. I'm going to call Ford 800 number tomorrow, per local dealer recommendation.

fastblackmerc
03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
It won't hurt to try getting it covered. It's good you have receipt(s). You may have to get a zone rep involved. Remember the squeeky wheel gets greased. Tell tehm what a loyal FOrd customer you've been, etc....

Bluerauder
03-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I get on contour.org, after my fix, and see that there was a 10yr/100K recall (99M03) for a wiring harness replacement due to insulation cracking on wires. Well, I hit my ten year date on Sat 3/10/2007. Man was I PO'd, missed by one day!!!

My question is, do I have a leg to stand on, legally, to say I had this problem before warranty expiry.

Don't think so. You would have a much better case if the Ford dealer had the car for repair "before the recall expired". Legally, I'd say that you just missed the gate. Thems the breaks.

However, asking for reimbursement for the parts can't hurt provided you can show the receipts. Labor is down the tubes. It is unlikely that you stand more than a 5% chance on this unless you have an extremely good relationship with the dealer and service department. That's JMHO.

Master
03-14-2007, 08:10 AM
I'd check the engine. Should be a 2.5L, unless you've swapped in an "X"-Type jag engine. Semantics, maybe, but have a look.