PDA

View Full Version : Almost St. Patrick's Day!

Ross
03-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Tomorrow we put on our kilts and march in the St. Patrick's Day parade.
This past Tuesday, I entered a "Sexy Kilt" Contest at a local pub. I won second place and $150.00. That almost paid for the beer tab!

RCSignals
03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
But, the Kilt is not Irish.

I suppose it may be a good time to rub that in the face of the Irish though.
congrats on your win, may you win again

Ross
03-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Actually, since the various Celts moved back and forth across the water from Ireland to Scotland and back (and other places) the kilt and bagpipe went with them. There are a number of Irish and Scots-Irish who wear the kilt, and there are Irish clan tartans as well.

High-C
03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
FYI... I will be drinking numerous "Irish-Car-Bombs" for everyone this weekend... Be safe and be happy!

RCSignals
03-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Actually, since the various Celts moved back and forth across the water from Ireland to Scotland and back (and other places) the kilt and bagpipe went with them. There are a number of Irish and Scots-Irish who wear the kilt, and there are Irish clan tartans as well.

The kilt is not Irish. The kilt isn't even 'Celtic'. at all. The only kilt worn by the Irish is the Saffron worn by pipers only, and that was implemented by the British Army.
All the Irish tartans are modern. Mostly designed by a Scottish woollen mill in the 1990s, and mostly for counties. They are no different than any of the Canadian or US tartans,in that they are Scottish tartans for non Scottish places

It is only in the US where confusion of all this exists. 'Scots-Irish' itself is an Americanism. For whatever reason the Irish American loves to claim Scottish culture.

Archaeologists now know that Dal Raita, where the Scotti hail from, was located on the West coast of Scotland, and had no connection with Ireland at all.

It is only a small portion of Ireland that is across from Scotland, most of it is across from England and Wales.
The North part maintains heavy English and Scottish influence because of the Scottish and english protestants who were relocated there.

RCSignals
03-16-2007, 12:23 PM
FYI... I will be drinking numerous "Irish-Car-Bombs" for everyone this weekend... Be safe and be happy!

Don't get hic-ups!

Ross
03-16-2007, 01:00 PM
The kilt is not Irish. The kilt isn't even 'Celtic'. at all. The only kilt worn by the Irish is the Saffron worn by pipers only, and that was implemented by the British Army.
All the Irish tartans are modern. Mostly designed by a Scottish woollen mill in the 1990s, and mostly for counties. They are no different than any of the Canadian or US tartans,in that they are Scottish tartans for non Scottish places

It is only in the US where confusion of all this exists. 'Scots-Irish' itself is an Americanism. For whatever reason the Irish American loves to claim Scottish culture.

Archaeologists now know that Dal Raita, where the Scotti hail from, was located on the West coast of Scotland, and had no connection with Ireland at all.

It is only a small portion of Ireland that is across from Scotland, most of it is across from England and Wales.
The North part maintains heavy English and Scottish influence because of the Scottish and english protestants who were relocated there.

OK, I'm not going to get into a fight over it.

RCSignals
03-16-2007, 01:10 PM
OK, I'm not going to get into a fight over it.

No sense, you'd lose

Mad4Macs
03-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Post the what/where and when of the celebrations tomorrow, and maybe I'll find some business in Houston this weekend. It's always good when I can expense the trip :cool:

Ross
03-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Parade starts at noon by the baseball stadium downtown and winds around downtown. After the parade we will probably start out at McElroy's Pub on Travis (near intersection of Prairie, I think) and then maybe stumble across the street to Slainte Pub.

RCSignals
03-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Parade starts at noon by the baseball stadium downtown and winds around downtown. After the parade we will probably start out at McElroy's Pub on Travis (near intersection of Prairie, I think) and then maybe stumble across the street to Slainte Pub.

watch those winds around downtown ;)

High-C
03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Just for an update... My head still hurts from the Car-Bombs and Celtic Crossing... I hope everyone had a safe and memorable St. Patricks Day... Wait... Remembering and St. Pats parties don't normally go together... I hope everyone was just safe. - C