PDA

View Full Version : Should a Restocking fee be charged?

Icarus
03-25-2007, 10:24 PM
If you were to buy a brand new item from somewhere, and they shipped you the totally wrong part, would you expect them to charge you a restocking fee when you returned it? How about some/all the shipping fees?
Thanks all,
Jon

96DiamondVIII
03-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Um. NO. They shipped you the wrong part, through no fault of yours, and they expect you to pay a restocking fee? That's absurd. I can see them wanting you to pay to ship it back, though IMO that's still something they should cover, and a bit of argument should get you out of that too. You're already having to wait until they ship you the right part--your inconvenience should not be compounded with BS restocking and shipping fees.

O's Fan Rich
03-26-2007, 04:54 AM
Only if you ordered the wrong part they shipped you( or gave bad information when specifying). If it's on them, I know of no one who would charge you. Or if you suddenly decide "I don't want this, take it back."
Sometimes that results in a good sale for others though.... eh Z?

FordNut
03-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Some companies do it. It sucks. I ordered 1 mm oversize valves from MMR, they arrived and were only 0.5 mm oversize, not to advertised specs. I sent them back and had to argue with them for months to get a refund, and I had to pay shipping both ways along with the restocking fee.

MMR=Modular Mustang Racing=BAD Business, avoid them.

Cheeseheadbob
03-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Charging restocking fees on items that are not custom orders and are in their original unopened packaging, is bad business and those who practice it are the lowest form of pond scum. No, even lower than pond scum, they are lower than whale *****! Um, I hope this portrays my feelings about restocking fees and those business owners/management who practice this form of thievery.

KillJoy
03-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Charging restocking fees on items that are not custom orders and are in their original unopened packaging, is bad business and those who practice it are the lowest form of pond scum. No, even lower than pond scum, they are lower than whale *****! Um, I hope this portrays my feelings about restocking fees and those business owners/management who practice this form of thievery.

HAHA!!!

Well, tell us how you REALLY feel!!!

:D

KillJoy

O's Fan Rich
03-26-2007, 07:56 AM
You gotta understand something. When a stocking part is "sold" the item is usually automatically re-ordered by the supplier/vendor. This is done "on the arm" usually, so an interest cost is incurred. When you return the item, not only does the part come back, now there are two, so they are paying a cost to have extra parts on the shelf, money that can be used for other stock.
Then the manufacturer or distributer may also charge a restock fee to the supplier vendor to return the part.
Now if they have this policy, it should be posted. If it is and you still go ahead and buy and return... it was you're call.
In the parts world there are actually customers who will order, buy and look at something and then return it because the simply "don't want it" when actually the decided they did not like it or got a better deal after the fact. Look how many places have "price match" policies 30-60 days after the sale. Why? To avoid the over stock situation and the costs involved. Not to mention the hassles of crediting cash.
Smart shopping avoids this.
I have also avoided this by requesting store credit to use later.

Cheeseheadbob
03-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Rich, you have some good thoughts here. My biggest beef with companies who have restocking fees is that they do not want to, or refuse to acknowledge that there are "costs" associated with running a business. You cannot have it all one way. If one of my customers calls and asks if they can return a $5,500 drum of chocolate concentrate, I tell them "no problem". I value my customers and sometimes they make mistakes. If that customer does not take the product at a later time, and I cannot sell it within its shelf life date, down the drain it goes. That is a cost of doing business. So what if a business has to sit on two of something? It's not going to break the bank, or throw their balance sheet into the red. I think I better take a break before I say something I may have to edit. :D
You gotta understand something. When a stocking part is "sold" the item is usually automatically re-ordered by the supplier/vendor. This is done "on the arm" usually, so an interest cost is incurred. When you return the item, not only does the part come back, now there are two, so they are paying a cost to have extra parts on the shelf, money that can be used for other stock.
Then the manufacturer or distributer may also charge a restock fee to the supplier vendor to return the part.
Now if they have this policy, it should be posted. If it is and you still go ahead and buy and return... it was you're call.
In the parts world there are actually customers who will order, buy and look at something and then return it because the simply "don't want it" when actually the decided they did not like it or got a better deal after the fact. Look how many places have "price match" policies 30-60 days after the sale. Why? To avoid the over stock situation and the costs involved. Not to mention the hassles of crediting cash.
Smart shopping avoids this.
I have also avoided this by requesting store credit to use later.

KillJoy
03-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Rich....

I think this thread was in regards to being sent the WRONG ITEM (ie - something you did not order). It would be BS to have to pay to ship it back, and pay a restocking fee, for something you never ordered.

What a scam that would be.....

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

O's Fan Rich
03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Rich....

I think this thread was in regards to being sent the WRONG ITEM (ie - something you did not order). It would be BS to have to pay to ship it back, and pay a restocking fee, for something you never ordered.

What a scam that would be.....

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

Yep...see post #3.

Bob... I do the same for my clients at least along my line of business... I don't do chocolate.
But it also depends on the client!

RCSignals
03-26-2007, 05:44 PM
If you were sent the entirely wrong part, and it is entirely their fault, there should be no restocking fee and they should send a call tag or give credit for return shipping.

It doesn't matter what their fine print says, there is always someone who can override "policy"

Icarus
04-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I never ordered the wrong part, and my inital email was extremely clear in stating what I wanted. When they finally sent back a partial payment, it came back as NSF from the bank and cost me more money (as well as going on my credit history.) This has been going on for far too long and needs to be dealt with in a business-like and professional manner, which this company is not treating as such.
I have passed on a complaint to the BBB, and will see what they say. I have already gotten some advice in the past from them on this matter. I will get a paralegal or lawyer if neseccary as this person/business needs to realize that although the amount isn't alot, principle and good business practice/ethics are essential in dealing with anyone. Costs can be reclaimed, and I know I have the facts right.
More to come I'm sure...
Thanks all for your input and opinions on this :)

Zack
04-02-2007, 06:04 AM
I never ordered the wrong part, and my inital email was extremely clear in stating what I wanted. When they finally sent back a partial payment, it came back as NSF from the bank and cost me more money (as well as going on my credit history.) This has been going on for far too long and needs to be dealt with in a business-like and professional manner, which this company is not treating as such.
I have passed on a complaint to the BBB, and will see what they say. I have already gotten some advice in the past from them on this matter. I will get a paralegal or lawyer if neseccary as this person/business needs to realize that although the amount isn't alot, principle and good business practice/ethics are essential in dealing with anyone. Costs can be reclaimed, and I know I have the facts right.
More to come I'm sure...

What was the product?

FordNut
04-02-2007, 06:10 AM
More to come I'm sure...

Two posts, to complain about something. Is it even Marauder related? Are you just here to try and stir the pot? We really don't need any more troublemakers here.

MM03MOK
04-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Two posts, to complain about something. Is it even Marauder related? Are you just here to try and stir the pot? We really don't need any more troublemakers here.
I was just thinking the same thing, Brian.

Icarus - public opinion in a case like this doesn't really matter here and dealing with any business issue should be dealt with directly and not played out on our website. You do what you have to do, but not here. Always remember there are two sides to a story.

Hotrauder
04-02-2007, 06:34 AM

"Icarus - public opinion in a case like this doesn't really matter here and dealing with any business issue should be dealt with directly and not played out on our website. You do what you have to do, but not here. Always remember there are two sides to a story."

Fine for you folks, I guess but if there are vendors, on this site or off who are ripping of customers I want to know who they are so that I can avoid them..I don't think I am alone. If you folks don't want to read about them read another thread. What the hoopty is the purpose of this forum if not to help each other out. This subject imo is more pertinent that most. Dennis ..who is the vendor?

MM03MOK
04-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Fine for you folks, I guess but if there are vendors, on this site or off who are ripping of customers I want to know who they are so that I can avoid them..I don't think I am alone. If you folks don't want to read about them read another thread. What the hoopty is the purpose of this forum if not to help each other out. This subject imo is more pertinent that most. Dennis ..who is the vendor?
As I said, public opinion on how he handles this case with a business doesn't really matter here and dealing with any business issue should be dealt with directly and not played out on our website. This is not a new message. Always remember there are two sides to a story.

Icarus
04-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Your right, but I've been dealing directly with them to no avail so far for 6 months. I wasn't trying to purposefully stir the pot, but I wanted to know from others their opinions or experiences in seeing if this was fair or a common practice. It is Marauder related in that it's a business that sells here, but your right in that I should not stir the pot. I apologize and will leave it to the BBB and the Consumer Services of that state to deal with, and I'll see what happens from there...

Peter
04-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Your right, but I've been dealing directly with them to no avail so far for 6 months. I wasn't trying to purposefully stir the pot, but I wanted to know from others their opinions or experiences in seeing if this was fair or a common practice. It is Marauder related in that it's a business that sells here, but your right in that I should not stir the pot. I apologize and will leave it to the BBB and the Consumer Services of that state to deal with, and I'll see what happens from there...
Sean Hyland Motorsports?

MM03MOK
04-03-2007, 05:25 AM
That is your best recourse. We'll let this go here now. We don't need this to be a guessing game.