PDA

View Full Version : Ford to institute quality controls ...

Mad1
06-20-2003, 11:15 AM
This story moved on the new wire today. I thought everyone here would get a kick out of it. A little late for some Marauder owners ... to judge by some of the complaints on this board.

Mad1

<b>Ford to Use Extra Inspections on All New Models, Scheele Says</b>

(Bloomberg) — Ford Motor Co., the world’s second- largest automaker, will conduct extra inspections on all its new car and truck models to improve quality, Chief Operating Officer Nicholas Scheele said.

“This is how we plan all of our future launches,” Scheele told reporters yesterday during test drives of the new F-150 pickup truck near San Antonio.

Ford used the extra inspections, a process called “batch and hold,” last year when it began producing new versions of the Expedition and Navigator sport-utility vehicles. The automaker continued the inspections with the new F-150, which began production last week at a Norfolk, Va., plant. The extra inspections take place after vehicles are assembled.

The Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker wants to prevent the kinds of early recalls it had with the redesigned 2002 Explorer midsize sport-utility and the new Escape small sport-utility in 2000. Ford’s scores in J.D. Power & Associates annual initial- quality survey have gotten better in the past two years, which the automaker has cited as an indicator of improvement.

“It’s a quality validation,” Scheele said of the extra inspections. The additional cost “is infinitesimal,” he said. “The cost of not doing it is of greater concern.”
Group Vice President Roman Krygier in an April interview said checking each F-150 before it goes to dealers probably will take about half the time needed for the Expedition and Navigator last year. He wouldn’t say how long the inspections take.

The F-150 accounts for about 60 percent of sales of F-Series pickups, the top-selling line of vehicles in the U.S. In addition to the Norfolk plant, a factory near Kansas City, Missouri, starts producing the new F-150 model in July and a new plant in Dearborn, Michigan will assemble the model next year.

The 2002 Explorer was recalled twice after the start of production. About 55,600 had to be fixed in April 2001 because brackets holding the rear liftgate could loosen, allowing the window to shatter. The company also recalled 52,729 2002 Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer sport-utilities in May 2001 to replace tires damaged during assembly.

Ford shares rose 24 cents to $11.52 at 9:49 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have gained 24 percent this year.

vaderv
06-20-2003, 12:45 PM
As some of you know I work at a Ford assembly plant. I find it ironic that they are talking about putting more inspectors on since not 6 months ago they eliminated more than 50% of them at my plant. On top of that they were ordered to not look for certain things to eliminate some of the repair load in pre delivery. This in turn allowed them to eliminate all paint repair people in pre delivery on the 3rd or afternoon shift. We fought this tooth and nail so far to no avail.... We told em so. It took them six months to figure out what everyone else already knew. There are certain places that you cant cut costs....

jgc61sr2002
06-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Sounds like B.S.:flamer:

Fourth Horseman
06-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by vaderv
As some of you know I work at a Ford assembly plant. I find it ironic that they are talking about putting more inspectors on since not 6 months ago they eliminated more than 50% of them at my plant. On top of that they were ordered to not look for certain things to eliminate some of the repair load in pre delivery. This in turn allowed them to eliminate all paint repair people in pre delivery on the 3rd or afternoon shift. We fought this tooth and nail so far to no avail.... We told em so. It took them six months to figure out what everyone else already knew. There are certain places that you cant cut costs....

How much does quality control cost compared to lost sales? I wish I could physically beat this concept into the heads of big business management. Cutting quality costs you more in the long run. :shake:

RF Overlord
06-20-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Fourth Horseman
How much does quality control cost compared to lost sales? I wish I could physically beat this concept into the heads of big business management. Cutting quality costs you more in the long run. :shake:

Fourth, the REAL problem is that management at that level DOES NOT CARE about anything "in the long run"...all they want are immediate profits, so they can collect big bonuses, then when things start to come apart, they exercise a Golden Parachute clause in their contract, get paid millions in severance, and move on to another company...and the merry-go-round just keeps on a-spinnin'...

Paul T. Casey
06-20-2003, 03:04 PM
As a quality inspector I know the battles that must be fought with upper management over these issues, I do it on a daily basis, and quality where I work directly affects profits. It seems to me the sometime in the not too distant past they must have stopped teaching reliability, efficiency, and customer satisfaction at management school. Where I work, if something breaks, no electricity is generated, safety of workforce is compromised, and the customer ends up paying for it thru higher rates. I don't know any easy answers, but to all quality insprctors, regardless of the business, keep up the good fight.

Fourth Horseman
06-20-2003, 03:07 PM
RF, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Paul, absolutely agree. I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be to work as a QC person and have management tie your hands.

cruzer
06-20-2003, 07:23 PM
They won't listen to the Q/C s and they won't listen to the owners, the dealers don't care ( on BOL, did you see the big stink when Ford cut the allowable warranty and what as warrantable--the dealers screamed their heads off, and Ford did nothing) I would really like for someone to figure out how we can get a message directly to Bill Ford---I have a feeling he can't see the forest for the trees---he really needs a reality check--let's get our thinking caps on--------Maybe we could send a VERY forceful and honest invitation to Ennis--what do you think?

vaderv
06-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Ladies and gents,,, First of all if u think what I said was bs jgc61sr2002 here ya go, get me fired. I work at Wayne assembly. We build the Focus 4 doors and wagons there. My name is Edward St. Antoine I work in dept. 40<<< that means the paint shop. My classification is Paint Repair Utility. I put my money where my mouth is. What I tell u ladies and gents is true. I can get more than a few people to testify to what I posted earlier. Dont believe me. Have someone at FMC call me on it...

TripleTransAm
06-20-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by vaderv
Ladies and gents,,, First of all if u think what I said was bs jgc61sr2002 here ya go, get me fired.

Personally, I thought the BS comment was directed at the article itself, not you, but I'll the Alphabet Dude clarify this for himself.

I personally do think it is BS. That article sounds SO MUCH like a certain apology made by another company earlier. Vaderv's testimony only serves to prove that what's said to the public does not have to correspond even 1% to what is really going on in assembly plants.

It's sad... no one stands behind their 'name' anymore. :(

cruzer
06-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Edward, you are my hero---after fighting "management ????" for 32 years as an airline captain, I KNOW where you are coming from--they don't give a d--n about you, how you do your job, how you can save the company money or how you can improve quality and safety at 1/10th the cost of correcting known errors later-- at least I had the FAA ???? behind me--sometimes shooting me in the back!!! I am glad I am retired and don't have to listen to the bs answers management tries to sell to the public--and I admire your courage for speaking out ---let's give credit where credit is due-- Thanks Edward, Maury

vaderv
06-21-2003, 05:11 PM
The prob may be that Upper management is not aware of what the plant managers are doing. Even though the glasshouse runs the show the plants are all run like seperate entities.

Bigdogjim
06-21-2003, 08:42 PM
vaderv: Hang in there guy! You got my vote. It's tough to do your job when you feel the "boss" don't care. We all have to fight the fight daily, does not matter what the job, product, etc.