PDA

View Full Version : Puter Probs

Patrick
06-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi guys. Just got Puter back a few days ago. Two whole weeks with out hanging out at my home away from home!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have a prob with windows ME??? I did, I know have XP and I like a lot better.

Withdrawls going away, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

Just missed the site so I would drop a line and say Hi!!!!

RF Overlord
06-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Patrick
Does anyone have a prob with windows ME???

EVERYONE has a problem with Windows ME...it's junk...you're much better off with 98 or XP..

Welcome back, BTW...

Fourth Horseman
06-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Yes, XP is light years ahead of 95/98/ME in every regard. Still, when I want to get things done and not have to worry about how the computer is going to blow up in my face when I least expect it I use a MacOS X or Linux machine. :D

Bigdogjim
06-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Thought maybe you were on vacation? Welome back. Yet ME is junk why can't they leve well enough alone.:alone:

RF Overlord
06-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Fourth Horseman
when I want to get things done and not have to worry about how the computer is going to blow up in my face when I least expect it I use a MacOS X or Linux machine. :D

D'OH!

How about a nice Lindows machine from Wally World? :lol:

RCSignals
06-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Yes, Windows XP has almost caught up to OS/2 Warp 4 :lol:

Patrick
06-21-2003, 04:53 PM
os/2 warp4???????????????

RCSignals
06-21-2003, 04:57 PM
yes, OS/2 Warp 4. That's the whole problem with it though, like the Marauder, no one really knew it existed :)

Patrick
06-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Punch Line Please!!1

CRUZTAKER
06-21-2003, 05:55 PM
I worked with 0O/2 in the mid 80's....I thought it went by the wayside years ago...learn something new everyday!

I still use 98, but my old a$$ P2/500 is on it's way out, could die any day now.

RCSignals
06-21-2003, 11:39 PM
Yes, the mid 80s version that Microsoft was involved with was junk. IBM took over development and came out with the first 32 bit version, the last version was OS/2 Warp 4.
I think you can still get a server version from IBM.

Mad4Macs
06-22-2003, 12:33 AM
DON'T DO IT!!! I'm a PC technician. I only use Macintosh's, but I depend on all of you to use Windows based PC's for my livelyhood. Heck, if everyone switched to Mac, not only wouldn't I be able to afford my MM, I'd probably have to find another career. And no, I'm NOT kidding.

RCSignals
06-22-2003, 12:58 AM
I believe you Mad4Macs

nomad
06-23-2003, 05:56 PM
The new Apple,
http://www.apple.com/powermac/
SWEET!!

Directedby
06-23-2003, 06:28 PM
At work I use PC and at home I use Mac.

Macintosh OSX is far superior - IMHO. For anybody who has not used OSX - check it out.

It is very stable - no crashes - no problems - and it looks and works great.

Dr Caleb
06-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
I worked with 0O/2 in the mid 80's....I thought it went by the wayside years ago...learn something new everyday!

Most banks in Canada still run with OS/2. Bank machines, if the ATM says on it IBM or NCR, it runs on OS/2. It's still the most secure operating system for Banking.

I still use OS/2. Warp 4 with all the service packs is still sold by IBM.

It truly is the Mercury Marauder of the computer world. If you don't count BeOS. It would be the Tucker.

Fourth Horseman
06-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Ah, yes, BeOS. I ran that on my work machine for a while. Who needs a killer app when you've got GL Teapot? :D

Jeff
06-24-2003, 05:31 PM
At home on my game computers I run Win98SE and have no compelling reason to go to XP. On my notebook that I carry around with me I run Mandrake Linux 9.1 - excellent OS!

Patrick
07-03-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the help!!!!

Here is another one. I have just downloaded Compuserve 7.0, I had 6.0.

Here is the prob. When I minimize the Compuserve page, then I click on a desktop item ( Like MM.net) compuserve pops up then runs the page!!Its just anyoying. Can anyone help a puter geek out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Patrick

Clarkitus
07-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Phew! I thought was going to devolve into a Mac vs. PC discussion!

I use a cable modem for connectivity, then just surf using IE. Who needs the AOL/Compuserve/Comcast front end anyway?

MM03MOK
07-04-2003, 08:27 AM
I'm not familiar with Compuserve but does it use a proprietary browser, which would have been downloaded during the upgrade? If so, during the download of your upgrade, it probably set itself as the default browser, so any shortcut you have will launch the page in their browser.

If you want to use something else (MSIE - Microsoft Internet Explorer), open IE, type in MM.net and bookmark (Favorites) the page. Then launch IE and select MM.net under your Favorites each time. OR - set MM.net as your "home page," so it's there each time you open IE.

Let us know if this works for you.

Patrick
07-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Thanks. I uninstalled compuserve and everthing seems to be running better. Since I use compuserve as my primary email addy I thought I needed to have the software, but found a short cut. I have cable modem so internet access wasnt an issue.

Still doing sum fine tuning. Thanks everyone for your help!!!:beer: :beer: .

Time for BBQ and fun. Hapy 4th!!!!!!!!!