PDA

View Full Version : Best course of action

1stMerc
04-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I have scratches. Sometime during a windy storm yesterday shingles cane off the neighbors house and, you guessed it, fell right on the car. Now there are scratches on right front corner just above and behind the headlight and side light. Very noticable. Now do i confront the neighbor and have her turn it into her insurance company, call mine and let them hash it out or just say nothing and take care of it myself.

One other thing i've already driven the car to work and back before i saw the scratches.

What would you do?
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/3/2/7/IMAG0126_324876.JPG
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/3/2/7/IMAG0127.JPG
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/3/2/7/IMAG0124.JPG
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/3/2/7/IMAG0123.JPG

KillJoy
04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Insurance.....FTW!

:D

KillJoy

PS - Hers...OF COURSE!!!

GreekGod
04-04-2007, 04:19 PM
...depends on whose policy covers the damage. You should contact your agent.

pantheroc
04-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Way... Sorry to hear. Hope it gets fixed better than new.

Mike
04-04-2007, 08:02 PM

KillJoy

PS - Hers...OF COURSE!!![/quote]

I agree, but it looks like more than just scratches to me :confused:

sabtaj1
04-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Your homeowners should cover, or auto becouse it was an act of nature so it shouldnt affect your rates at all. I bought a car and was driving down the interstate ( was blk car) and was very windy and blowing gravel up from the sides of the road. Had to have the whole front clip painted. Didnt affect my insurance a bit. But I would try to make her ins. pay first. And if she doesnt, go buy about 10lbs of hamberger and make a bunch of balls and put them all around her house, Itll smell great. LOL. That last part was a joke.

1stMerc
04-04-2007, 08:26 PM

KillJoy

PS - Hers...OF COURSE!!!

I agree, but it looks like more than just scratches to me :confused:[/quote]

It is. Made it down to the primer.

fastblackmerc
04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Looks like a shingle was dragged accross the car..... Contact your insurance co. and let them hash it out with your neighbor.

JMan
04-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Waymon,
That sucks! I bet you're crushed. Best of luck getting it all worked out!

J

knine
04-05-2007, 05:36 AM
Dude! That sucks. Sorry about that. It does look deep and nasty. +1 on trying to get her Homeowners on it, but contact your agent to handle it........and don't let anyone tell you that you need an "accident report". That goes against your driving record. This is a "Non-Criminal Damage to Property" report (if needed). The car was not being driven and no other car hit it! So many times unknowing or lazy cops will try to go the accident form (I am a cop, have seen this waaaaay to often).

That last part was a joke.

Sure it was.:rolleyes:

Zack
04-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Paint it BLUE

Mike Poore
04-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Waymon, I know it looks bad, and this may sound really stupid; but see if you can buff it out. If you remember the scurrilous attack upon my Silver Birch by the Bradford Pear; I thought it was destined for the paint shop, but the Porter Cable and a bit of swirl remover, followed by polish, then yellow wax, fixed it right up. It really looks bad, though.:(

Bluerauder
04-05-2007, 07:15 AM
I have scratches. Sometime during a windy storm yesterday shingles cane off the neighbors house ... One other thing i've already driven the car to work and back before i saw the scratches.

What would you do?

Those pics won't do you any good to prove the damage. They are dated 22 August 2024. Might want to correct the date.

If you can prove that the shingles came from the neighbor's house (got any pics of the roof or a handful of the shingles that match), then I think that I would approach the neighbor and ask how he/she wants to handle the problem. Since you didn't notice the damage right away, you may be in a bind and be forced to go through your homeowner's or auto insurance. Good Luck. :(

I must be paranoid or something because I have gotten into the habit of walking around my MM every time I get back into it. If there is a problem, I wanna know who was parked next to me and take a plate number.

magindat
04-05-2007, 07:15 AM
That's not buffable!

Do NOTHING until an adjuster looks at it!!!!!

I had damage from the neighbor's trampoline to my truck during one of the storms a couple years ago. The course of action is to file it as a comprehensive claim on your own insurance. The neighber is then responsible for the deductible. He could get that from his pocket or from his own insurance carrier.

Good luck!

ckadiddle
04-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Yikes. That looks pretty bad.

1stMerc
04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the input, advise and well wishes guys.

[quote=sabtaj1;484257]
"And if she doesnt, go buy about 10lbs of hamberger and make a bunch of balls and put them all around her house, Itll smell great"
Would love to but, we live to close together, and i'd have to smell it too, yuch!!.

[quote=fastblackmerc;484284]
Looks like a shingle was dragged accross the car..... Contact your insurance co. and let them hash it out with your neighbor
In a way they did, since they were laying on the ground next to it. One by itself and three others stuck together. Still there, fortunately no nails came with them.

[quote=JMan;484303]Waymon,
That sucks! I bet you're crushed. Best of luck getting it all worked out!
Thanks J, i was especially, since i was expecting delivery of my Aero Turbines this week. More on those later.

[quote=knine;484324]Dude! That sucks. Sorry about that. It does look deep and nasty. +1 on trying to get her Homeowners on it, but contact your agent to handle it........and don't let anyone tell you that you need an "accident report". That goes against your driving record. This is a "Non-Criminal Damage to Property" report (if needed). The car was not being driven and no other car hit it! So many times unknowing or lazy cops will try to go the accident form (I am a cop, have seen this waaaaay to often).
knine
Talked to my adjuster yesterday a little after doing the initial call and have an appointment for Tuesday for inspection. She took most of the info over the phone.

[quote=Zack;484344]Paint it BLUE[
Zack, i would but DTR is rare enough round these parts for me.

[quote=Mike Poore;484363]Waymon, I know it looks bad, and this may sound really stupid; but see if you can buff it out. If you remember the scurrilous attack upon my Silver Birch by the Bradford Pear;

[quote=magindat;484370]That's not buffable!

Do NOTHING until an adjuster looks at it!!!!!
Mike, definately not buffable, i have a little experience with body work, but i wouldn't touch it. It is down to the primer and you can feel it, needs to be removed and repainted. Also scratched the turn signal lens and edge trim. Plus, i have a truck to scratch the body work bug. Rich, it is filed under comprehensive.

[quote=ckadiddle;484374]Yikes. That looks pretty bad.
So far one estimate is $1230.00. Want/need to wash the car, but i'd get depressed, and want to go hunting.

Thanks again guys, i'll let you know the out come.
Waymon