PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Speakers?

Jolly Roger
04-12-2007, 07:22 AM
I undersand that the Pioneer Rev speakers are supposed to be a good choice as a replacement for the factory speakers.
I haven't run across any of these yet but I did see a pioneer TS-G971M (4-way) speaker at a nearby audio store and would like the opinion of someone in the know as to the quality of theese speakers.
I'm not that big of an audio buff and I do not plan to change the head unit anytime soon so a speaker upgrade will have to do for now.
Opinions PLease.:o
Also, what is the part number of the Pioneer Rev?
Thanks in advance for sharing your knownedge.

Pops
04-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Use the Pioneer Premier Tsd 801 Rev. speaker. It has a better mib bass and a soft dome tweeter. Its a much smoother sounding speaker than the 4 ways and does not cost that much more.

Jolly Roger
04-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks John.:)

magindat
04-12-2007, 09:18 AM
To give some basis to john's correct answer....

The hard dome mylar tweeters in the 4-ways relect the highs off of the leather and sound harsh. They could be used in a cloth interiored car with better results. The silk dome tweeter in the rev series and the warmth inherent in the woven kevlar cone suit the Marauder's interior quite nicely by reducing 'brassiness' due to reflection. Also, the 4 way uses 6db/oct passive capacitor only crossovers while the rev uses a 12 db/oct passive crossover network. This means a smoother sound due to fewer unwanted frequencies in the tweeters distorting their sound and a higher overall power handling before distortion.

The answer is not based in the notion that 'more expensive is better' it's based on actual listening in the Marauder interior and the true opinion of audio junkies like myself. I have listened to various other brands/types of speakers in the Marauder and for reasonable money (not an all out competition sound) the REV still sound the best to me.

Furthermore, REV is available in a 6x8 direct fit. No muss, no fuss.

Raudermaster
04-12-2007, 09:33 AM
I had REV's all the way around in my old CV and had no complaints about them. It's time now though I get myself some NICE MB Quart components!

Dragcity
04-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Same speaker for doors and rear deck??

magindat
04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I had REV's all the way around in my old CV and had no complaints about them. It's time now though I get myself some NICE MB Quart components!

For the Marauder, I still think REV components would be super. The only thing I might like better is MMATS 3-way components.... but where to mount the mid????

magindat
04-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Same speaker for doors and rear deck??

Yep!

Add a styrofoam baffle for the rears. John will have them.

http://www.partsexpress.com/images/260-780m.jpg

Dragcity
04-12-2007, 09:53 AM
$110 per pair sound right.....?

I assume these are not sold Per Each....

KillJoy
04-12-2007, 09:57 AM

Not sure.

PM John......

I paid a LOT more than that for mine ;) But that was a long time before John joined us :up:

KillJoy

magindat
04-12-2007, 10:15 AM

PM John Kuhn

They are packaged and sold as pairs.

Dragcity
04-12-2007, 10:24 AM
You know, I don't know if I Love you guys for all the fabulous knowledge you all posess....

Or hate you guys, for giving me the opportunity to spend more $$ and get sent to the dog house by my Wife...

Either way.. Thanks for the help!

KillJoy
04-12-2007, 10:36 AM
You know, I don't know if I Love you guys for all the fabulous knowledge you all posess....

Or hate you guys, for giving me the opportunity to spend more $$ and get sent to the dog house by my Wife...

Either way.. Thanks for the help!

The Front Seats in a Marauder are quite comfortable when fully reclined. I would recommend sleeping THERE instead of the dog house ;)

KillJoy

Dragcity
04-12-2007, 10:49 AM
HA !!!!!!!!!!

I can fit a lot of beer in the trunk.

dwasson
04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Do you commonly cap the speakers at 100 hz or so? What about capping the front speakers at even a higher frequency?

rvaldez1
04-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I undersand that the Pioneer Rev speakers are supposed to be a good choice as a replacement for the factory speakers.
I haven't run across any of these yet but I did see a pioneer TS-G971M (4-way) speaker at a nearby audio store and would like the opinion of someone in the know as to the quality of theese speakers.
I'm not that big of an audio buff and I do not plan to change the head unit anytime soon so a speaker upgrade will have to do for now.
Opinions PLease.:o
Also, what is the part number of the Pioneer Rev?
Thanks in advance for sharing your knownedge.
I have 4 0f the premier version of these in a cvlx sport. I love them, I use them in alot of installs. I get them for around $50 a pair wholesale. As Rich and John have stated the rev is a better speaker for midbass and the silk tweeter is smoother sounding, I prefer the high frequency response of the 4-ways mated with any headunit or amp rated at 35+ watts rms. I do however have 2 10" woofers.

magindat
04-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Do you commonly cap the speakers at 100 hz or so? What about capping the front speakers at even a higher frequency?

I don't cap speakers. In today's radios (especially Pioneer), the radio itself provides an internal active crossover for the powered outputs. I simply won't buy a radio without this feature.

Capping at 100-150 at 6bd/oct (one capacitor) is a fine safety measure. However, the cap puts the signal 90 degrees out of phase. So there is NO WAY to align the woofer phase (which is generally switchable to 180 phase) and your mids/highs will never align with your sub. The result will be a distortion in the sub to mid transition that you'll never quite be able to figure out.

The moral of the story is always try to use active crossovers. Capping even for safety is not recommended for best fidelity in a multi amped system (and by the way, using deck power for speakers and adding a sub IS multiamped - don't forget teh radio has an amp IN IT!)

To return to the discussion above, a passive crossover 'network' corrects the phasing for the entire speaker, be it a coaxial or component set. Less expensive speakers have only caps for tweeter crossovers and are 90 out of phase. The resultant sound from these less expensive speakers is brassy or harsh and is impossible to improve upon with any amount of equalization due to the inherent flaw of using caps and being 90 out.

The moral of that story is buy speakers with crossover networks. In the rev series, the box normally associated with a components set is actually stuck on the speaker. So the coaxial 6x8's are actually a 3-piece (mid, tweet, x-over box) component set all mounted on one frame.

magindat
04-13-2007, 05:57 AM
I have 4 0f the premier version of these in a cvlx sport. I love them, I use them in alot of installs. I get them for around $50 a pair wholesale. As Rich and John have stated the rev is a better speaker for midbass and the silk tweeter is smoother sounding, I prefer the high frequency response of the 4-ways mated with any headunit or amp rated at 35+ watts rms. I do however have 2 10" woofers.

Based on my own discussion above, I would only use the 4-ways (capped) in the rear deck if I absolutely had to. In the rear deck, the 90 degree phasing is slightly corrected by reflection off the rear glass. This timiing change actully increases the perceived distance from the rear speakers. Some will like that. I don't really think it's worth the loss of warmth and quality in the Marauder. I do, however, agree that 35W is about the absolute most I'd throw at them.

rvaldez1
04-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Based on my own discussion above, I would only use the 4-ways (capped) in the rear deck if I absolutely had to. In the rear deck, the 90 degree phasing is slightly corrected by reflection off the rear glass. This timiing change actully increases the perceived distance from the rear speakers. Some will like that. I don't really think it's worth the loss of warmth and quality in the Marauder. I do, however, agree that 35W is about the absolute most I'd throw at them.

You know rich, I have DSP on my new radio, a JVC KD-SHX850 I can make the speakers sound a mile away or right on my ear. I have em cut out at about 160hz

magindat
04-15-2007, 06:06 AM
You know rich, I have DSP on my new radio, a JVC KD-SHX850 I can make the speakers sound a mile away or right on my ear. I have em cut out at about 160hz

The discussion is obviously for those without DSP.... I have had DSP and AudioControl products such as ESP2 and ESP3 to control timing. Fun Stuff!

GreekGod
04-15-2007, 11:48 AM
DSP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal_processing