PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis Complete....Bad axle, Pass Side

SlkMerc
04-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Finally got the Big Girl off the ground and on the rack yesterday. Tires installed and while there, the tech was cooperative and let me in the shop.

Put her in drive and listened. Sure 'nuff pass side axle bearing making the Wa-wah's. Ok this sucks but at least im certain now. Gonna buy the kit.

Ok guys, I need some encouragement and some advice! I want to do it myself and have a lift and the basic tools at my disposal.....

Do I need anything special, tool wise? I think I read somewhere that I need some kind of slide hammer chingas to pull the bearings out of the axle tubes.

I have to assume that once the wheels are off, calipers/rotors removed, drain diff and remove some sort of clip, the axles will come out? Yes? No? Gimme the MM.net " you can dooo it"!!!!

Don

KillJoy
04-12-2007, 10:59 AM
If you are that far in to it....PERSONALLY...I would upgrade to 31 Splines. Possibly 4.10's too.....if interested.

KillJoy

chader
04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Simple...you Can Do It.....use A Long Rod/pipe Or What Ever To Pound The Bearing/seal From One Side Out....i Had To Take The Abs Sensors Out To Get The Axles To Come In Enough To Get The C-clips Off....don't Worry Just Do It....

Zack
04-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Did the car start to make a wierd noise when going over bumps?
Ive got the axle noise too and cant find the even odder noise when taking a bump.
Im a 6/02 build as well.

SlkMerc
04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Did the car start to make a wierd noise when going over bumps?
Ive got the axle noise too and cant find the even odder noise when taking a bump.
Im a 6/02 build as well.

Hi Zack,

Ive had that noise/bump too but more when ive entered/exited a driveway. Ive read here thats a ghost in the machine, ive looked underneath, checked for anything loose. My concern was a waa-waaa while driving. You can almost be certain you're axles were part of that bad batch. From what the fellas have said, change them before the carrier bearings get jacked up too. The kit from the dealer has the upgraded axles, bearing and seals, diff fluid too $243.00 if memory serves.

Don

Zack
04-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Zack,

Ive had that noise/bump too but more when ive entered/exited a driveway. Ive read here thats a ghost in the machine, ive looked underneath, checked for anything loose. My concern was a waa-waaa while driving. You can almost be certain you're axles were part of that bad batch. From what the fellas have said, change them before the carrier bearings get jacked up too. The kit from the dealer has the upgraded axles, bearing and seals, diff fluid too $243.00 if memory serves.

Don

Thanks, I have extended warranty, so they will be getting their hands dirty on THEIR dime.

mrjones
04-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm an 06/02 build also. My warranty ran out (on time - car was purchased new 01/04) at the beginning of Feb. Took it in just before warranty expiration and complained of rear end noise. They found so much metal in the lube that they replaced the ring and pinion along with the normal kit. Unfortunately its not set up correctly and I'm getting an increasingly loud whine from the gears. Its going back in to be corrected later this week or next.