PDA

View Full Version : Questions about CV and GM's...

Breadfan
04-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Looking through the local ads as I tend to do often, I took note again at how cheap some of the late model low mileage Grand Marquis and even civilian CV's are.

There were a number of examples in the 12k +/- a few grand range, many of which appear to have been sitting on lots for awhile, mailny becuase I still see them listed.

I'm betting dealers would "wheel and deal" on some of these to clear inventory...

Anyway, I'm not really in the market, but it got me curious about the specs of some of these cars.

In 2003 did all panther's switch to the aluminum crossmember and rack/pinion steering?

In GM world, which is the higher trim level, LS or GS? (It's been hard to tell, prices vary enough that it's hard to make a difference, and both LS and GS models I have found with leather or cloth.)

The CV world is easier to figure out, but again, '03+ were they all Al crossmember with r&p steering?

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but is there a huge difference between CVPI's and civiliam CV's/GM's? I know where most of the improvements are (electrical, for instance) but anything else that further sets them apart besides the obvious? Doesn't a GM have similar underpinnings and reliability minus perhaps the electrical and oil/trans coolers?

Thanks for quelling my curiousity!

quota
04-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, in 2003, all "panther's" switched to the aluminium cross member, rack pinion/steering. Plus a lot of other mods regarding suspension, wheels, etc.
GM highest trim level is, actually, the LSE. The most basic is the GS. LSE has all options included, floor shifter and delivers 239 HP.

JP

crouse
04-13-2007, 10:22 AM
From what I can tell, the GS is the base model and the LS & LSE are the higher optioned models.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=76640/pageNumber=1?synpartner=edmund s&pageurl=www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/76640/article.html

Not sure about the aluminum cross member, however, all models in 2003 and forward come with the rack & pinion stearing.

crouse
04-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Here's another link.

http://www.autobytel.com/content/research/index.cfm/action/showarticle/AID/138354/startrow/41/year/2002/articletype/0/id/22436/ovchn/INK/ovcpn/SiteMatch/ovcrn/SMX/ovtac/PI

davidholland
04-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Used CV & Gm are the best bargain around! Full size luxury & V8 for litle Dough!

Breadfan
04-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Yep, I always thought that I just keep getting reminded when I see some of these cars as cheap as they are!

One of the safest cars on the road too...

Thanks for the info folks!

rvaldez1
04-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Also, not to beat a dead horse, but is there a huge difference between CVPI's and civiliam CV's/GM's? I know where most of the improvements are (electrical, for instance) but anything else that further sets them apart besides the obvious? Doesn't a GM have similar underpinnings and reliability minus perhaps the electrical and oil/trans coolers?

Thanks for quelling my curiousity!

Well, having owned both a 2004 cvlx sport and a 1997 cvpi, and my brother owned a 2004 GM gs. I would say definitely a difference. The CVPI is programmed different, similar to having a tune and picks up a hell of alot faster than any other cv. The CVPI also has a little more ground clearance, I remember jumping curbs and speedbumps with ease, while the cv would bottom out very quick, actually the entire suspension system is a bit stiffer I believe. Lastly, the cooling, the CVPI has auxilary coolers and you really feel the difference when you beat on it, everything on the cvlx sport tends to fade alot quicker than on the cvpi.

GreekGod
04-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Many small changes are made every year. The GM and TC have have extended wheel base options. The last common chassis change was 2003. The PI and Taxis are somewhat stripped down, usually.

cyclopsram
04-13-2007, 12:48 PM
GM has no extended wheelbase ... it is only the Crown Vic... P70 and the Town Car...

GreekGod
04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
I believe the 2005 LSE Grand Marquis was an extended wheelbase option. KBB has it listed incorrectly.

Sometimes options are added or dropped during model year production. i know it was available because I sat in one after asking the salesman what the dif. was.

Raudermaster
04-13-2007, 03:32 PM
My grandparents bought a brand spanking new "left over" '04 in the middle of '04 CV base for $16,500 out the door.

Leadfoot281
04-13-2007, 05:50 PM
My grandparents bought a brand spanking new "left over" '04 in the middle of '04 CV base for $16,500 out the door.

Last year I seen 15-20 CV's on a dealer lot starting at $15,999. That's a lot of car for the money!

Also, the June '07 issue of Car Craft magazine has a great article on cop cars. The cover all the late models including Tahoes. I subscribe to the magazine for about $10/year.

bryanthomas
04-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Used CV & Gm are the best bargain around! Full size luxury & V8 for litle Dough!

Luxury? That's a bit of a stretch, but they are a good bargain.

Bradley G
04-14-2007, 03:20 AM
What is really hard to find, is any Panther, with bucket seats.
Usually less than five- ten advertised on line(nationally).
I have two Panthers, (my sig).
The LSE is very much, a luxury car!!!
I set up the LSE HPP with heated seats, top shelf Michlens, Marauder take off parts, bigger sway bars, control arms.
The Panther is a different car with buckets.
The only thing I would consider trading/selling the LSE for, is a CV Sport, or another Marauder.
I can not understand, why Ford , does not offer buckets or heated seats on certain Panthers.

cyclopsram
04-14-2007, 04:01 AM
"salesmen" are notoriously lacking in knowledge of the products they are trying to sell, and it is expecially rampant in the car world.. The CV Sport seems a little faster because of the 3.27 rear and the 239 HP... I would be especially interested in seeing a longer wheelbase Grand Marquis as the VIN would be the giveaway.. Ford uses P70 to distinguish its version and it has been only a fleet model from its inception... The Town Car 6 inch longer wheelbase..was built in Wixom..and will be moved to STAP with Job 1 this December. Ford has yet to announce if the longer wheelbase will be available for 09. Remember that Job 1 for the 08 GM and CV is only 3 weeks away...with no shutdown for changeover on May 7....big change is that a tirepressure monitor will be standard equipment and the ashtray will be a option...

ckadiddle
04-14-2007, 07:30 PM
CVPIs have a bit more horsepower and some of the parts are heavier duty to stand up to high mileage, long idling in hot climates, and other stuff cops put them through. Also heavier duty and extra electrical connections stuff to handle all the lights and electronics needed. I think trans cooler, heavy duty alternoator, heavier duty spspension but don't quote me. It's been a couple years since I researched. I ran across reference to a newer marauder and never looked back. :)