PDA

View Full Version : A symphony of squeeks

kayzap
04-19-2007, 02:46 PM
For the first time the radio was off and the pedal was not to the floor.

This car is sqeeky! is this the norm? or is there a usual suspect. It sounded like the front end.

Mike
04-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Possibly the hood stops

superford3
04-19-2007, 03:53 PM
i get the same squeak and have not found it yet

cyclopsram
04-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Just move the hood stops up a turn or two, and if necessary move the bottom hood latch a little to stop that annoyance... Early on removal of a coupla of the hood bumpers.. you have empty slots on your fenders.. are the culprits.. I believe the ones from a Ranger slide right in... It sounds like a lot , but the fix is a little...

Local Boy
04-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey cyclopsram, You are one smart guy, my friend. Glad to have you on my side! Aloha

B.C. Bake
04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
I stuck a peace of the fuzzy side of velcro on each of the hood bumpers, end of squeaky.;) Funny thing, my moms cv has been squeaking for years now, and ford said it was because the car was old "they do that", 54,000 on the clock. Anyway two stips of velcro stoped the squeak:banana: she couldn't be happier.

fastblackmerc
04-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Just move the hood stops up a turn or two, and if necessary move the bottom hood latch a little to stop that annoyance... Early on removal of a coupla of the hood bumpers.. you have empty slots on your fenders.. are the culprits.. I believe the ones from a Ranger slide right in... It sounds like a lot , but the fix is a little...
The bumpers from an '03-'06 Expedition and Navigators will also work.
See this thread, it explains it all......

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26084&highlight=hood+bumper

KillJoy
04-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Hood Latch???

KillJoy

Hotrauder
04-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Go to your dealer and tell the parts guy you want to be a pair of Hood Isolators. Earlier CV, GM and Lincolns have them. They saved $5.00 per Marauder by leaving them off. bingo. Problem solved. No more squeeks. Go the junk yard and scrounge for them. Almost anything will work. :) Dennis

BAD MERC
04-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Hood bumpers will not totally take care of the noise. Heavily lube the LATCH, that is where the squeak comes from. The hood moves laterally and rubs the latch. There are knock-outs in each fender where the hood closes for rubber bushings that were never installed in the panther cars. These bushings were aquired by me a year ago and I have never had the squeak again.

Marauderjack
04-20-2007, 03:27 AM
I had to put lock nuts on my hood stops since they kept backing down....now with the stops up and the little bumpers in I have had NO SQUEEKY in over 6 months!!!:bows: :beer: :D

Marauderjack;)

Bluerauder
04-20-2007, 04:05 AM
The bumpers from an '03-'06 Expedition and Navigators will also work.
See this thread, it explains it all......

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26084&highlight=hood+bumper
This ^^^^^ is the solution. Hood Bumpers/Isolators, Part No. N804384-S, $8.00 plus tax at the parts counter. Worked for me. Lube on the latch bar for extra measure.

kayzap
04-20-2007, 06:04 PM
That was fast! So tomorrow I'll be at the Ford parts counter getting them rubber dealies. I'll also check the latch. I noticed that the hood is lower than the surrounding fenders and front end so a little adjusting there is in the cards too.

kayzap
04-21-2007, 12:07 PM
I called two dealerships. One of them the largest West of the Miss. They don't carry the isolaters in stock and if I want order them its a weeks wait at $10.95 each. I need four and don't want to pay and hope they get it right.

Guess I'll try Napa next.

Bluerauder
04-21-2007, 01:58 PM
They don't carry the isolaters in stock and if I want order them its a weeks wait at $10.95 each.
I had to order mine too. Took only 3 days. Mine came in a pack of 2 and cost $4.00 for each separate bumper (I used the Expedition bumpers). Total was $8.00 per pack. Only needed two to fix the problem.

I figure they are making about $3.50 profit on each bumper. Of course, the bag is nice. :rolleyes:

TheDonk
04-21-2007, 03:42 PM
You only need 2 bumpers per car. While you are awaiting their arrival
move your hood stops up to even the hood with the fenders and front.
Grease the stops and the latch, your squeak will likely go away.

cyclopsram
04-21-2007, 03:57 PM
I took the ones off my 1998 Crown Vic PI and put them on my new panther... I noted that the 2000 GM LS did not have them... So, my 2006 Vickie is sporting 1998 parts...maybe I should charge Stap for assembly...Oh, just got the news, transportation on the 08 panthers is up to $825 and the LS price was reduced a little... Tire pressure monitors are standard now... I have asked my parts person to see if they can be retroactively installed on older panthers..

kayzap
04-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I need four as there is a MM and a CV Sport in the driveway.

The parts from both dealers are $10.95 ea. Probably the shipping.