PDA

View Full Version : MOPAR question

RF Overlord
06-24-2003, 05:02 PM
OK, OK, I know this isn't ALLPAR, but I wonder if anyone here can give any advice on a 1990 LeBaron convertible my niece is looking at...it'll be her first car...she seems to have her heart set on it, but I want to do what I can to see she doesn't end up with a *****box.

If any MOPAR enthusiast among us can help advise me on the things to look out for, please PM me...I'll send along all the info I have on the car...

Thanks...

Jeff
06-24-2003, 05:05 PM
Well the first thing to look for is the word Chrysler anywhere on it.
If you find it, don't buy it!

CRUZTAKER
06-24-2003, 05:26 PM
^^^um, this is true...but....^^^

Rusty brake lines, head gasket leaks, and plugged radiators are typical on these models. A toyota celica vert, or an older Beemer 3 vert, or maybe a VW cabrio might be a better choice.

RCSignals
06-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Does she like it just because it's a convertible?

Maybe show her a Mustang convertible instead. Or just be a nice Uncle and buy her a new Thunderbird :) :cool:

MM03MOK
06-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
Does she like it just because it's a convertible?
Maybe show her a Mustang convertible instead. :) :cool: The convertible aspect is one of the biggest draws (or a T-top.) Something that fits her budget is top on the list. She would LOVE a Mustang, but can't afford it.

Originally posted by RCSignals
Or just be a nice Uncle and buy her a new Thunderbird :) :cool: If he can afford to buy her a new T-Bird, then he can afford to buy me diamond earrings and lots of other stuff first!!!!!
:baaa:

Marauderman
06-24-2003, 06:28 PM
RF--An item often overlooked on the 'C' " cars are the O2 sensors ....the later models from the 90's were terrible..an often overlooked and especially used ones--check those...or get warranty of one recently replaced....or have the owner install one before buying--w/prove of paper work...at least consider this...ask around...

WolfeBros
06-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
but I want to do what I can to see she doesn't end up with a *****box.

Sorry RF but a Chrysler of that vintage is exactily what you just described as something she doesn't need to end up with. IMHO

jgc61sr2002
06-24-2003, 07:12 PM
RF - Use your Massive Intellect and stay away from it.

dok
06-24-2003, 08:14 PM
I owned 1993, 1996 and 2000 Chrysler products. The air conditioning evaporator failed on all 3 and the 2000 also lost the compressor. All cars were less than 3 years old when the problems occured.

RancorKeeper
06-24-2003, 09:55 PM
I've owned an 88 New Yorker & a 92 Sundance. The 2.2L/2.5L motors are pretty reliable, until the headgasket goes, which it will. And cooling systems are also a problem, as someone already mentioned. Actually, as a second vehicle or winter beater, the K cars aren't the worst choice out there by any means. In fact, both of mine were the only vehicles I've owned that didn't require anything more than fluid changes & gas, once they were made roadworthy and the headgasket/radiator problems were fixed.

RCSignals
06-24-2003, 10:26 PM
RancorKeeper that's true. I'd rather own a K car than an equivalent from GM

looking97233
06-24-2003, 11:07 PM
My aunt had a mid 90's Lebaron. It had an electrical short and burned to the ground just sitting in her driveway one day. Yep, just sitting there doing nothing started on fire.