PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the axle advice...3 more questions, last ones, I swear!

SlkMerc
04-22-2007, 06:59 PM
The FoMoco axle kit came with some awesome instructions. The guide mentioned to pre-lube the bearings with the supplied lubricant. It came with 3 bottles of synthetic gear oil. I have to assume I use the gear oil.

Question: Does the gear oil travel into the axle tubes to lube the bearings?

Would it be a good idea to use additional grease/? on the bearings before I install them.

I dont have the factory tools to install the bearings and seals..any ideas on what to use to put them in?

Thanks!

Don

snowbird
04-23-2007, 04:33 AM
Q1: I would risk that the axle being like a reverse video donut, the oil do move around the entire lenght of the tube with the G force in the curves. That probably explain why they install an oil seal at the end.

Q2: The bearings have to have a very tight fit. When you take the old ones out, a few drips of left diff oil will find their way anyway. I don't see a gain.

Q3: Good luck !! (My opinion is that I prefer to let the pros do those things: costly part + close tolerance in thousands of an inch + need for big shop tools like press and all + double the trouble and cost if not done properly= Use a phone and make an appointment !)

fastblackmerc
04-23-2007, 05:46 AM
The FoMoco axle kit came with some awesome instructions. The guide mentioned to pre-lube the bearings with the supplied lubricant. It came with 3 bottles of synthetic gear oil. I have to assume I use the gear oil.

Question: Does the gear oil travel into the axle tubes to lube the bearings?

Would it be a good idea to use additional grease/? on the bearings before I install them.

I dont have the factory tools to install the bearings and seals..any ideas on what to use to put them in?

Thanks!

Don

Q: Does the gear oil travel into the axle tubes to lube the bearings?

A: Yes

Q: Would it be a good idea to use additional grease/? on the bearings before I install them?

A: Just put some of the gear oil on them so they aren't dry when you first drive it. You can even soak them over night in the lube.

Q: I dont have the factory tools to install the bearings and seals..any ideas on what to use to put them in?

A: Take them to a shop that has a press. The bearing need to be pressed on usually with a 10 or 20 ton press. Use a large diameter pipe or socket to install the seals (lube the seals before installing the axles).

SlkMerc
04-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Q: Does the gear oil travel into the axle tubes to lube the bearings?

A: Yes

Q: Would it be a good idea to use additional grease/? on the bearings before I install them?

A: Just put some of the gear oil on them so they aren't dry when you first drive it. You can even soak them over night in the lube.

Q: I dont have the factory tools to install the bearings and seals..any ideas on what to use to put them in?

A: Take them to a shop that has a press. The bearing need to be pressed on usually with a 10 or 20 ton press. Use a large diameter pipe or socket to install the seals (lube the seals before installing the axles).

The axle bearings are not pressed on the axles, they are installed into the axle tubes, followed by the seals.
Ford shows a driver to install the bearings and seals

gmtech
04-23-2007, 08:35 AM
just use socket thats same size as bearing cage to install...same for seal...always pre-lube bearings for initial movement...no press needed..slide hammer to remove:)