PDA

View Full Version : Pulll motor on '97 Continental?

Breadfan
04-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Out of curiosity, how hard is it to pull a motor out of a '97 Lincoln Continental? (32v 4.6 V8.) Does it get unbolted and pulled up top or does it sit in some sort of "cradle" like some FWD cars and have to have the whole front dropped out from under?

Reason I ask is one for sale locally with 99k miles and a bad motor...

Also, would any 32v motor fit or are the motor mounts different? I figured items like the timing cover and specific items might have to be used from the continental, but speaking in regards to the long-block would any used 32v bolt in?

Also, it apparently lost a timing chain, I'm assuming this is fatal to the motor, are these "intererence" engines where a broken timing chain will cause some of hte valvles to stay open and get hit by the piston?

I'm assuming it wouldn't just need a new chain and go...though that'd be kinda cool!

Just curious, the amount of work required certainly dictates the value of the car as is, I wouldn't mind a cheap but reliable (and nice!) commuter car if I move further out so I keep my mind open for stuff like this.

Pulling a motor is not out of my scope of ability, nor is rebuilding a simple motor, I've not touched anything like a ford 32v V8 though have done pushrod motors and helped a friend rebuild a 16v dohc 4cyl successfully. I've heard doing a rebuild on a 4.6l is tough though.

Grifter
04-23-2007, 12:06 PM
no, the fwd 4.6's have a different bellhousing pattern. you would have to use another fwd block

i would bet it comes easier out the bottom of the car, thats the way it went in...

Breadfan
04-23-2007, 01:06 PM
That's kinda what I thought, alot of FWD vehicles go this way, it has to come out as an assembly b/c you can't unbolt the transaxle while it's in the car on some.

I'm feeling this isn't worth it considering the workload and price of even a used FWD motor. The car would have to be just about free. :)

I'd be curious if anyone has the steps from a ford manual though!

Raudermaster
04-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Hopefully Derek (drock96marquis) will chime in. This is one of his great areas of expertise.