PDA

View Full Version : Mobil I Oils????

Marauderjack
04-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey Folk,

I stopped into Wally World this AM to pick up a 5 quart jug of Mobil I 5W30 that I have used for several years now!!:beer: When I got to the car I noticed that I picked up the one for "Trucks and SUV's"....and other "Hard Working Gasoline Engines"??:cool: What's the difference and is this better than the normal "Synthetic"??:(

As I recall they now have the normal "Full Synthetic", "Truck and SUV" and "Extended Service" Mobil I.......The "Extended Service" stuff is about $6.00 more than the others!!:argue:

I WONDER WHICH IS BEST FOR 5K mile changes or is it all the same??:shake:

Any ideas??:dunno:

Marauderjack:drive:

2003DOHC
04-29-2007, 07:57 AM
From their web site for 5,000 mile oil changes what you purchased will be ok. The extended service will go 15,000 miles or longer. To many types to choose from:(

RF Overlord
04-29-2007, 08:54 AM
jack, that "Truck and SUV" oil is nothing more than a marketing gimmick designed to attract owners of F250s and Yukon Denalis who mistakenly believe the motor in their behemoth is somehow different from that of an ordinary passenger car and therefor requires some sort of "manly-man" oil. It's the same stuff as "regular" Mobil 1. Use it with no worries. Mobil 1 EP is also the same base oil as Mobil 1 Classic, but with a higher level of their "SuperSyn" additive package.

For the record, just about ANY decent oil is good for 5k intervals; synth-blend is good for 7500 miles and full synth for up to 10,000 miles. YMMV.

cyclopsram
04-29-2007, 10:36 AM
motorcraft 5-20 at your dealer....

Marauderjack
04-29-2007, 12:22 PM
jack, that "Truck and SUV" oil is nothing more than a marketing gimmick designed to attract owners of F250s and Yukon Denalis who mistakenly believe the motor in their behemoth is somehow different from that of an ordinary passenger car and therefor requires some sort of "manly-man" oil. It's the same stuff as "regular" Mobil 1. Use it with no worries. Mobil 1 EP is also the same base oil as Mobil 1 Classic, but with a higher level of their "SuperSyn" additive package.

For the record, just about ANY decent oil is good for 5k intervals; synth-blend is good for 7500 miles and full synth for up to 10,000 miles. YMMV.

That's what I figured....all the same and not much way to prove it?? Let's face it.....people who do their own oil changes and use the expensive stuff usually change it frequently and will never have a problem anyway!! It's all marketing for more profit for Mobil??:confused:

I've been meaning to go back to Motorcraft 5W20 for one change to see how the OP and temps compare to Mobil I 5W30 but keep forgetting about it!!:argue:

I remember Mac doing temp tests with various oil viscosities...Interesting!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

RF Overlord
04-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I've been meaning to go back to Motorcraft 5W20 for one change to see how the OP and temps compare to Mobil I 5W30 Motorcraft 5W-20 is a superb oil that works very well in all the Ford modular motors.

I think you'll find the oil pressure is slightly lower with 5W-20 vs 5W-30, and that the coolant temp gauge will not change at all. Mac was using a ScanGauge OBD-II monitor for his test; the stock gauge doesn't have enough resolution. Slightly lower oil pressure is not a concern...oil flow is what's important and MC 5W-20 flows very well.

You may also find that the motor seems more responsive with MC 5W-20 as the viscosity is a fair amount less than that of Mobil 1 5W-30. The new SM formulation of M1 got quite a bit thicker than the older SL formulation (11.3 cSt vs. 10.0 cSt). For comparison, Motorcraft 5W-20 is 8.8 cSt.

Marauderjack
04-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Motorcraft 5W-20 is a superb oil that works very well in all the Ford modular motors.

I think you'll find the oil pressure is slightly lower with 5W-20 vs 5W-30, and that the coolant temp gauge will not change at all. Mac was using a ScanGauge OBD-II monitor for his test; the stock gauge doesn't have enough resolution. Slightly lower oil pressure is not a concern...oil flow is what's important and MC 5W-20 flows very well.

You may also find that the motor seems more responsive with MC 5W-20 as the viscosity is a fair amount less than that of Mobil 1 5W-30. The new SM formulation of M1 got quite a bit thicker than the older SL formulation (11.3 cSt vs. 10.0 cSt). For comparison, Motorcraft 5W-20 is 8.8 cSt.

RF,

I have a ScanGaugeII and I tried 10W30 Mobil I and the engine temps went UP 10* immediately and the OP was about 5# LOWER than with 5W30!! :eek:

Changed back to 5W30 and back to normal.:D

I'll almost bet the 5W30 Motorcraft will have about the same OP and maybe a bit better cooling......I'll try it next change and see!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Sharky
04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey, guys - check out the links in my signature. Some very good info on those sites. :beer:

texascorvette
04-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey Folk,

I stopped into Wally World this AM to pick up a 5 quart jug of Mobil I 5W30 that I have used for several years now!!:beer: When I got to the car I noticed that I picked up the one for "Trucks and SUV's"....and other "Hard Working Gasoline Engines"??:cool: What's the difference and is this better than the normal "Synthetic"??:(

As I recall they now have the normal "Full Synthetic", "Truck and SUV" and "Extended Service" Mobil I.......The "Extended Service" stuff is about $6.00 more than the others!!:argue:

I WONDER WHICH IS BEST FOR 5K mile changes or is it all the same??:shake:

Any ideas??:dunno:
Marauderjack:drive:

It costs more, but I use Royal Purple.......and also RP products in the tranny and rear end.