PDA

View Full Version : CB Radios: Galaxy vs. Cobra

Sharky
05-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Any recommendations? I'm looking at those two brands and trying to decide which one is best. Is there any significant difference?

I'm considering the Cobra 18 WXST II (http://www.claysradioshop.com/cobra18WXSTII.htm) and the Galaxy DX 919 (http://www.claysradioshop.com/galaxy%20919.htm).

Also, is the "Performance Tune-up" (http://www.claysradioshop.com/radio-mods-peak-tune.htm) that Clay's offers really necessary, and worth $30?

Any advice about CB radios in general is greatly appreciated.

cyclopsram
05-02-2007, 04:51 PM
$29 at Walmart will suit you fine..

n3fvg
05-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Galaxy is more capable of broadband transmission. If you look at the transmitter and receiver sections in the two radios side by side, they are almost identical. No the performance tune-up isn't necessary unless you want the features Clay's if offering with it. They are charging you $30 for about 15 minutes worth of work.

KillJoy
05-02-2007, 05:04 PM
What....no love for Uniden?

KillJoy

Marauder386
05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
...Magnum 257, peaked and tweaked safely running into a lip mount Wilson 1000 ( before BarJan bought them ). AM out is 35 watts and very clean...SSB is peaking at about 100 watts...no strain or damage on the finals...but then, I am a "FreeBander" ! :D

:cool:

Sharky
05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
$29 at Walmart will suit you fine..I'll check out what they have to offer. Weather band is a must-have feature. Don't know what kind of features you can get for 30 bucks, but it's worth a look-see.

Galaxy is more capable of broadband transmission. If you look at the transmitter and receiver sections in the two radios side by side, they are almost identical. No the performance tune-up isn't necessary unless you want the features Clay's if offering with it. They are charging you $30 for about 15 minutes worth of work.I figured the "tune-up" referred to Clay's profits. :D

What....no love for Uniden?

KillJoyNope. In my experience as a boat captain, I have found that their marine radios are junk, so I'm hinky about any of their other products. :nono:

...Magnum 257, peaked and tweaked safely running into a lip mount Wilson 1000 ( before BarJan bought them ). AM out is 35 watts and very clean...SSB is peaking at about 100 watts...no strain or damage on the finals...but then, I am a "FreeBander" ! :D

:cool:Definitely ordering the Wilson 1000. :coolman:

KillJoy
05-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Just remember, once you get Peaked and Tweaked, you have an illegal radio per the FCC. If you do not care about talking big, but just want to listen far, specify it to the guy.

Also, get onto some of the CB Forums. A lot can be learned there. A bit can be gotten from Mike Poore here as well....

KillJoy

magindat
05-03-2007, 05:28 AM
GALAXY!!!!!
Got an 88 H/L from radioactive radios 'superwhackpacked'. Worth every freakin penny. Coupled it with a mag mount wilson 1000. Had 1.1/1 SWR on initial install and talks 20 miles. Me likey!

Richy04
05-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Get a Cobra 148, best rx out there and there are tons of mods.. Hit Ebay for a Tram D-62 or the above, there are others that are good too. I had a Starfire DX a while back, went all over the place and worked fine and dandy..

Sharky
05-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Just remember, once you get Peaked and Tweaked, you have an illegal radio per the FCC. If you do not care about talking big, but just want to listen far, specify it to the guy.

Also, get onto some of the CB Forums. A lot can be learned there. A bit can be gotten from Mike Poore here as well....

KillJoy

Yeah, I just want it for listening out for bear alerts and for the weather channels, I don't have a need to get out over a ten county area. And I can't jeopardize my FCC radio license, I need it for running boats. :cool:

Paging Mike Poore! :D

Sharky
05-03-2007, 07:25 PM
GALAXY!!!!!
Got an 88 H/L from radioactive radios 'superwhackpacked'. Worth every freakin penny. Coupled it with a mag mount wilson 1000. Had 1.1/1 SWR on initial install and talks 20 miles. Me likey!

Get a Cobra 148, best rx out there and there are tons of mods.. Hit Ebay for a Tram D-62 or the above, there are others that are good too. I had a Starfire DX a while back, went all over the place and worked fine and dandy..

Oh, great - now I've gone from mere indecision to full-blown dilemma. :D