PDA

View Full Version : I need a lawers advice....

CRUZTAKER
06-27-2003, 08:27 AM
I know we have a few on board. Maybe one of you has some input.

Scenario: I had a spoiler installed...incorrectly in my opinion, as well as MANY other's.

Do I have the law on my side, or am I at the mercey of 'buyer beware'?:mad2:
Pics deleted due to vulgararity!

Marauder57
06-27-2003, 08:34 AM
I am no lawyer and I don't play one on TV....but this is a lousy situation.....personally I would go with the new lid and chalk it up to a "learning expierience". Other alternative is get the new lid and the wing and get the manufacturer to suggest a reliable dealer in your area that has not had complaints about them.

The whole thing stinks...personally I would go with 2...I would not want the same clods touching my car again.....but the whole thing comes down to "relative cost" how much complaining and aggravation is it the thing worth to reach the cost of $950?

Just MHO..... :)

RF Overlord
06-27-2003, 08:43 AM
I'm not a lawyer either, but unless you gave them specific location instructions ("Exactly 4.5 inches back from point X"), or physically marked on the decklid precisely where you wanted it, you were leaving the location judgement up to the installer...doesn't sound like you're in an enviable situation... :(

Thomas C Potter
06-27-2003, 08:47 AM
Another regrettable example of the need to do these things yourself.

WolfeBros
06-27-2003, 08:57 AM
I agree with RF. Unless you gave specific location instructions you left the install up to their judgement. I am sure Marty will have a spin on this for ya Cruz.

Bigdogjim
06-27-2003, 09:38 AM
Look at it this way. Who sent you there? Did you find this shop on your own? Did the dealer recommend them? Now if the dealer sent you to them the delaer can step up and put pressure on the installer to "make it right" I would work that angle with the dealer and the installer's shop. The law can always be a last step if things go to hell! Sometimes if you get all partys to sit down and talk about it then things can be worked out. Put it on the table as they say.

No flame intended but the calmer you are the apt they are to listen. I know we are talking about a Marauder here. Again not saying that your going about it wrong. Just offering my 2 cents

gonzo50
06-27-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
I'm not a lawyer either, but unless you gave them specific location instructions ("Exactly 4.5 inches back from point X"), or physically marked on the decklid precisely where you wanted it, you were leaving the location judgement up to the installer...doesn't sound like you're in an enviable situation... :(
CRUZTAKER stated that he left them a photo of how it should be placed, not a good photo but a photo none the less, if the installer was a professional one than he could have did a much better (closer to picture spec.) positioning of spoiler. My $.02

Dr Caleb
06-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Post it. Doitdoitdoit! You're gonna let your neighbours and victims see, but not us? Come on! It's not made of wood is it?

Couldn't they just weld the holes, flatten and re-paint? I know that might not be best, but if done properly by a good body man, you might never know it's been done. Might be an option if you have to replace the deck on your own dime...

Marauder57
06-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Let me just say this....that is a nice spoiler....really like the shape...pretty cool. I can see how you would like it back a bit....but to be honest....it does not look that bad to me.... :(

jefferson-mo
06-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Hey Cruz...I'm with 57...it don't look bad...........

at least it's not this one.......

http://www.strangecosmos.com/view.adp?picture_id=9063

you's scare all the ricers:lol:

RF Overlord
06-27-2003, 11:27 AM
CRUZTAKER:

OK, I'll admit it wouldn't have been my first choice for spoilers, but like the others said, it really doesn't look THAT bad...it probably should have been about 2" further back, and if it was MY car I'd want it right, but it's not at all like I was expecting from your post. I hope everything works out for you...

Dr Caleb
06-27-2003, 11:40 AM
I like it as well. I'd prefer the 3 point type spoiler rather than the NASCAR type duck tail.

Looks good, but needs to be a couple inches back. The lines just aren't quite right.

looking97233
06-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Cruz, like RF said not my first choice (I have none) but from your pics it does seem to line up and follow the contours of the deck lid both vertically and horizontally. I think it would look wrong if it was moved. Then it would cut the lines as opposed to running with the lines of the car.
my .02

RCSignals
06-27-2003, 12:29 PM
It's not a bad spoiler at all.

I can kind of see why they installed it where they did, but it definitely should have been installed farther back.

What did the spoiler location in the picture you left them look like?

tetsu
06-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Forget what I wrote in here. I see it's not a Ford spoiler.

Those installers are incompetent, judging from that installation.

Anyone in their right mind should know that it needs to go further back.

Johnny

MAD-3R
06-27-2003, 01:03 PM
It's not the FOrd Factory Spoiler. It's a tri piller.

cyclone03
06-27-2003, 03:17 PM
From the profile it looked to me like it was mounted backwards.
From the top it needs to go back.Get them ,or do it yourself,to move it as far back as it will go without uncovering the holes and see how it looks.Then seal the holes if it looks ok then.

If your a spoiler type I guess its cool,but I'm not,so..........

It realey doesn't look like it can go back that much without getting into the little stock lip.

jgc61sr2002
06-27-2003, 03:39 PM
Cruz - The spoiler doesn't look that bad. I personally wouldn't want any more holes drilled in the trunk lid. You can always take the installer to small claims court. Your case would be hard to prove if you didn't give the installer the exact location that you wanted it installed. Hope for and expidited resolution. Good Luck. :mad2:

Bigdogjim
06-27-2003, 03:42 PM
AFTER looking at your pictures it looks OK? I really need to see the whole car for the effect. There can be happy ending here. I am sure

UncleLar
06-27-2003, 04:31 PM
It doesn't look too bad to me,but it is your car and you must be happy with the way and location where it's mounted. No slam or flames at all on the style of your spoiler,afterall aren't we all dedicated to being different from the uninformed masses?

Jeff
06-27-2003, 04:41 PM
I like it.

Menace
06-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by looking97233
Cruz, like RF said not my first choice (I have none) but from your pics it does seem to line up and follow the contours of the deck lid both vertically and horizontally. I think it would look wrong if it was moved. Then it would cut the lines as opposed to running with the lines of the car.
my .02

I agree. I don't think it would look right hanging past that top edge. I do think it looks better than the factory (Mercury) spoiler. For my car (for now) I like the way it looks without one.:coolman:

Menace
06-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Hey Cruz, is that an antenna on your trunk? :confused:
I hope you didn't have to drill a hole for that also. :nono: :down:

gonzo50
06-27-2003, 06:18 PM
The spoiler looks nice, but the location of it is to far forward, should be further back, it sits awkwardly. :o
It looks like they tried to align it with the curve of the trunk lid, its straight but wrong. :bs:
Good luck.

martyo
06-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Cruz:

This is a tough one. Very fact specific. Question becomes, who can prove what facts supports their argument. For an issue like this, small claims court is best. Those damn lawyers will charge you way too much to handle something like this. If you have to go the small claims court route, make sure you have all of your facts, notes, pictures, etc. lined up better than your spoiler.

By the way, a side profile shot of the whole car will allow us to comment on the alignment issue.

Let me know how you make out or if you want to talk about how you might handle this issue.

Mikeenh
06-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Cruz, I have the same antenna on my MM. I only put the antenna part on when I'm towing. I tooka black magic marker and blacked out the chrome. I also ran it up and down the mast. The base stays good, but the mast has to be done after a couple of trips. I'll PM a photo if you'd like.
Mike