PDA

View Full Version : Jacking it up?

Local Boy
05-06-2007, 09:57 AM
OK, guys I know the readings I have done tells me that I should lift the MM using the lifting points on the frame rails. But I'am very tempted to use the old school method by putting my floor jack under the diff. and jacking her up that way. It scares me that the air bags are the ones holding the rear end while it's hanging. :eek: Are the air bags strong enough to hold the rear end in place?:( And is the rear housing that weak that it can't support the rear? :mad: We've been jacking up rear ends from the diff. since the begining of time. What happened?
On another subject, I really like rims thatr are "blacked out" and have chrome rings (lips). Has anyone painted thier rims to get the "blacked out" look? I'm thinking that it might look REALLY COOOOOOL.:cool4: Not sure though. Once I paint it, I"m afraid it will screw up the clear coat on the rims upon removal if I don't like it. What you guys think? Mahalo (Thank you)

KillJoy
05-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Mounting Points (4 triangles) FTW!!!!

Amsl, Cruztakr has Black powder Coated MM Wheels w/ bare AL rings....

Nice look...

:up:

KillJoy

Local Boy
05-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Hey killJoy, Thanks for the reply, But what does that mean "4 triangles" + What is FTW ? Sorry I'm not much of a comupter guy.

Oh, I think you're refering to the markings along the frame rails - Right?

KillJoy
05-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Sorry :D

On the side of the car, there are 2 Triangles on each side....these are VERY low on the car. These are the stock jacking points.

FTW = For The Win ;)

:D

KillJoy

Local Boy
05-06-2007, 10:58 AM
No need to apologize my friend. I value your friendship and appreciate your help. But, does that mean I SHOULD NOT jack it up from the diff? Thanks again.

quahog
05-06-2007, 11:56 AM
local boy, howzit
the car manual states that you should NOT use the diff. as a jacking point. go with the triangles like killjoy said.

jdando
05-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Jacking on the diff FTL.:(

Jacking the car up on the diff cover is very bad in that you can warp the cover and cause leakage.

FTL For The Lose

jeremy

Local Boy
05-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice and the education on computer talk. I will fight the temptation to jack it up by the diff.

FordNut
05-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I jack by the diff all the time. As well as the front crossmember. Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility if anyone follows my example and causes damage to their own vehicle though.

BTW, the rear end won't be hanging by the air springs, the rear shocks will fully extend and limit the rear end's travel.

Local Boy
05-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks Brian, I'll fab up something that avoids hitting the diff cover, and a 4x4 piece of wood to place between the crossmember and the jack. I just HATE using those "4 triangles".

larryo340
05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Just don't forget to turn off the air suspension switch