PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Understand This -- Gas Prices

Bluerauder
05-09-2007, 06:18 AM
OK. Somebody 'Splain this to me. :confused: Why does Wisonsin even care? They are getting their cut in taxes based on each gallon sold. Same for the Feds and the local government if they have an add on tax. The supplier and distributor also got their cuts. So, what is the problem. Seems that the owner was trying to do something for the community by offering discounts to seniors and sports boosters. No doubt that those price breaks were coming out of his share of the cost/profits. Yet, Wisconsin says he ain't charging enough. What did I miss in this? --- or is the state engaging in price fixing. :dunno:

Its stuff like this that makes me believe that gasoline prices are based on nothing but smoke and mirrors with a tad of Kentucky windage applied. :mad: Read on ....
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gas Station Owner Told to Raise Prices
By Associated Press
Tue May 8, 11:26 PM

MERRILL, Wis. - A service station that offered discounted gas to senior citizens and people supporting youth sports has been ordered by the state to raise its prices. Center City BP owner Raj Bhandari has been offering senior citizens a 2 cent per gallon price break and discount cards that let sports boosters pay 3 cents less per gallon.

But the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection says those deals are too good: They violate Wisconsin's Unfair Sales Act, which requires stations to sell gas for about 9.2 percent more than the wholesale price.

Bhandari said he received a letter from the state auditor in late April saying the state would sue him if he did not raise his prices. The state could penalize him for each discounted gallon he sold, with the fine determined by a judge.

Bhandari, who bought the station in May 2006, said he worries customers will think he stopped the discounts because he wants to make more money. About 10 percent of his customers had used the discount cards.

Dale Van Camp of Merrill said he bought a $50 card to support the local youth hockey program. It would have saved him about $100 per year on gas, he said.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Grifter
05-09-2007, 07:04 AM
MN too. there is a minimum gas price law. You have to sell gas at ATLEAST 8 cents above your cost. You cannot price gas lower than that because they are afraid that it will be an unfair advantage to the large chains because they can lose money here, but make it up other places. Say that law didnt exist, Walmart could put its gas really cheap here, say 1.50/gal that would force the mom and pop gas stations (are there really any left anyway???) to take a huge loss on every gallon sold, thereby running them out of business. They wont sell enough goods other than gas to make up the loss on the gas. Walmart on the otherhand will get everyone in the stores because of the cheap gas, and recoup the loss on the gas very quickly.

But instead of letting the market economy work itself out, the nanny state here decided that they must make everyone charge more then they paid.. Free Market my ass.

Bigdogjim
05-09-2007, 07:47 AM
New Jersey has a good law that states you can only raise prices once a week:) Do not know about how low, but I will check.

ctrlraven
05-09-2007, 08:15 AM
I just buy gas on Tuesday when Shell does their 6 cents off 93 octane lol.

SID210SA
05-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Our state is talking about a tax break on the gas....about 20 cent/gal for the summer.....it is going to a vote this week....but the news people say it will fail....my 93 octane is as high as 3.11/gal as low as 2.99/gal. from one side of the city to the other.

On the bright side....with my tune, I got 160 miles out of the first quarter tank of gas going to Corpus this weekend and 155 out of the first 1/4 tank coming back. I now sit at about 230 miles with the needle touching the bottom part of the half tank line.

Vortex
05-09-2007, 08:38 AM
The simple answer is that since the 70's (after the arab oil embargo) the price is now set by Wall St. speculators. Prior to that it was set by the Texas Railroad Commission. Remember "West Texas crude" as the standard? Now its generic "light sweet oil".

rumble
05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Our state is talking about a tax break on the gas....about 20 cent/gal for the summer......

Mike, I think it will pass...........

Hey, how about that? First they lower our property tax and
now the gas tax.

This in a state with no state income tax.

[I]What in de Hell is da world comin to?
(Sheriff Buford T. justice)

Motorhead350
05-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Today 93 was $3.73 and my truck isn't a 4 banger. I drove 2 more blocks and found a place selling for $3.59. That second place was more expensive last time so now I gotta drive to check both places before I make a decision as to where to fill up again.... as long as I am in Chicago.

OneBADLsE
05-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Our state is talking about a tax break on the gas....about 20 cent/gal for the summer.....it is going to a vote this week....but the news people say it will fail....my 93 octane is as high as 3.11/gal as low as 2.99/gal. from one side of the city to the other.

On the bright side....with my tune, I got 160 miles out of the first quarter tank of gas going to Corpus this weekend and 155 out of the first 1/4 tank coming back. I now sit at about 230 miles with the needle touching the bottom part of the half tank line.

Thats about 26-27 MPG! Very impressive.

sailsmen
05-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Over a 20 year period the tax on gas has exceeded the profits by a large margin.

Reminds me of the price fixing until a N.O grocer named Schwegman took the Milk price fixing to the US Supreme Court and won.

As a result you have discounts off MSRP.

I bought a Lear 8 track player for 25% and brought it to an electronics store for insall. They could not beleive I bought it for 25% off. That was completely unheard of, esp in electronics.

Your state should pass a law allowing a refinery or drilling and the price will go down.

Pat
05-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Today I paid 2.99 for 93 octane. I seem to have heard that gas stations here also have to post a certain price, but Wal-mart offers discounts of 3 cents per gal.

They also offer a fuel additive with the push of a button and a few cents more a gal.
Ahh, the American way. Brought to you by the law offices of:
Dewey, Cheatam and Howe. ( A Click Clack program credit)

Pat

Motorhead350
05-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Thats about 26-27 MPG! Very impressive.

But the better your gas mileage the worse your performance. :rolleyes:

Pat
05-10-2007, 01:26 AM
But the better your gas mileage the worse your performance. :rolleyes:

If your talking about the Marauder tuning parameters I have read posts here where members reported increased gas mileage while increasing performance but the gains were incremental.

However, as technological advances in engine material, design and control are implemented by auto makers we are seeing large horsepower and performance gains with an increase in gas mileage at increased vehicle weights.

I refer to the 07 Lexus LS large sedan. A summary of the performance from it's new 4.6L DOHC engine and associated controls is 27 MPG on the highway and 19 in the city, 380 horse power, 367 ft lbs of torque, 13.9 1/4 mile ET and the car weighs 4244 Lbs.

The variable valve control is the key in this model, Vtec/VVT-i or some such nomenclature. The areodynamics are also a major contributer to better gas mileage as is the transmission. Top speed limiter is set to 130 MPH.

The cost of this techno marvel is $61,000.00 - $81,000. (I'm sticking with my bought and paid for, bull in the china shop, Marauder, as the name implies)
But the price of this car is high because of all the features that have nothing to do with MPG or power. Look it up on the Lexus/com site.

One local here told me the dealers are selling them as fast as they can make them. Test drive? In your dreams. The story goes that a lady wanted to test drive one but there were none available except for one awaiting delivery to a customer. The lady asked the customer if she could drive it and he said NO, but she could sit in it. The stuff legends are made of. Ha.

Pat

fairlane347
05-10-2007, 05:23 AM
OK. Somebody 'Splain this to me. :confused: Why does Wisonsin even care? They are getting their cut in taxes based on each gallon sold. Same for the Feds and the local government if they have an add on tax. The supplier and distributor also got their cuts. So, what is the problem. Seems that the owner was trying to do something for the community by offering discounts to seniors and sports boosters. No doubt that those price breaks were coming out of his share of the cost/profits. Yet, Wisconsin says he ain't charging enough. What did I miss in this? --- or is the state engaging in price fixing. :dunno:

Its stuff like this that makes me believe that gasoline prices are based on nothing but smoke and mirrors with a tad of Kentucky windage applied. :mad: Read on ....
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gas Station Owner Told to Raise Prices
By Associated Press
Tue May 8, 11:26 PM

MERRILL, Wis. - A service station that offered discounted gas to senior citizens and people supporting youth sports has been ordered by the state to raise its prices. Center City BP owner Raj Bhandari has been offering senior citizens a 2 cent per gallon price break and discount cards that let sports boosters pay 3 cents less per gallon.

But the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection says those deals are too good: They violate Wisconsin's Unfair Sales Act, which requires stations to sell gas for about 9.2 percent more than the wholesale price.

Bhandari said he received a letter from the state auditor in late April saying the state would sue him if he did not raise his prices. The state could penalize him for each discounted gallon he sold, with the fine determined by a judge.

Bhandari, who bought the station in May 2006, said he worries customers will think he stopped the discounts because he wants to make more money. About 10 percent of his customers had used the discount cards.

Dale Van Camp of Merrill said he bought a $50 card to support the local youth hockey program. It would have saved him about $100 per year on gas, he said.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Alot of people start vacationing up north in summer and go right through there, they are taking advantage of the people. Its not better in my town either but the travelers will pay more in the vacations towns.:bigcry: :bs:

SID210SA
05-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Mike, I think it will pass...........

Hey, how about that? First they lower our property tax and
now the gas tax.

It has passed 1 hurdle and is expected to pass another today....then on to the final step....

It would be nice to have that 20 cent price cut at the pump but, on the other hand....gas is gonna jump up 20 cents when the 90 days is over:(

Sactown
05-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Just be glad folks that you don't live in California. Best price I found the other day was $3.40 and that's for 91.