PDA

View Full Version : Crown Vic slowly becoming obsolete as a police vehicle?

offroadkarter
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Im still not to sure of that, but ive seen in some other forums and groups where people say the vics are obsolete to the chargers and impalas. Do the impalas even have V8's? The new ones do, but not many cops have those, and some police dept's have V6 chargers to. Personally I think the Crown Vic is a tank, and if you ram another car with a vic, it wont fold up like a charger or impala.

Like they say, bigger is better :)

That buffed out, dont worry :rolleyes:

http://cache.bordom.net/images/a4a47f210aad417b3981b1f889b7c6 e1.jpg

1of327
05-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I work for a dealership that Does the entire Baltimore City Police Fleet...And the cops Hate the impala, its always breaking and the front suspension won't hold up.There is alot to be said about the Vic as itcomes into the shop from having these cops beating the piss out of theese things and still going back out with over 300 thousand miles on them.

Maybe the reason is that these impalas ,and charges are cheaper...and I mean that in every sense.

Motorhead350
05-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I heard here in Chicago no one like the Impalas. They have too many transmission issues and it's like $2,400 to replace it. If a Vic breaks it's a $500 junkyard run.

younga1
05-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Our city has added a few chargers (V8) to their fleet and the LEO's that I have talked with complain about the space with all of the their gear on their belts. I guess the CV will eventually be gone but I know we can all outrun the Impala:) !

96DiamondVIII
05-09-2007, 03:39 PM
That buffed out, dont worry :rolleyes:

http://cache.bordom.net/images/a4a47f210aad417b3981b1f889b7c6 e1.jpg

Ah, good old Raleigh PD...remember seeing that on the local news sometime last year. Brilliant piece of driving right there. :p

cyclopsram
05-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Ford has only about 80 percent of the Interceptor type market...not quite eclipsed by the Wimpala and Choker...

offroadkarter
05-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Ah, good old Raleigh PD...remember seeing that on the local news sometime last year. Brilliant piece of driving right there. :p

Someone knows his town history ;) My sister lives right outside of raleigh, ill have to look you ups sometime :D

sabtaj1
05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I will be in cary in june. As for the cars, The chargers are going for about $1500 less than a vic. That is why all the departments are gunning for the chargers. As for the impalas, they are junk!

Marauderman
05-09-2007, 04:48 PM
I will be in cary in june. !

Hey!! Look up "fastblackmerc", my good friend who is there in Cary when you get there----OK!!

offroadkarter
05-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey!! Look up "fastblackmerc", my good friend who is there in Cary when you get there----OK!!

OMG! my sister just moved outa Cary. LOL! :P

You know of any enterprise car dealers down there? they rent and sell used ones, my sisters fiance is a manager there, he'll hook you up with a nice acura or maybe in a rare case, a marauder :beatnik:

OneBADLsE
05-09-2007, 06:08 PM
I will be in cary in june. As for the cars, The chargers are going for about $1500 less than a vic. That is why all the departments are gunning for the chargers. As for the impalas, they are junk!

I say save the 1500, and do a convertor, tune, and gears. :beer:

Raudermaster
05-09-2007, 06:31 PM
The engine is tired/old. Police are wanting more and more powerful cars to keep up with the vast moving technology that is available to the public to buy, and they want something that can keep up if not top it. Don't get me wrong I love Panther cars and always will, I'm just saying Ford has got to freakin' wake up and do something new!

DEFYANT
05-09-2007, 06:39 PM
The engine is tired/old. Police are wanting more and more powerful cars to keep up with the vast moving technology that is available to the public to buy, and they want something that can keep up if not top it. Don't get me wrong I love Panther cars and always will, I'm just saying Ford has got to freakin' wake up and do something new!

More HP would be nice in the CVPI. But trust me, superior driving skills will out run a faster car anyday!

CVPIs are up to 250 hp, but they now have 17 inch wheels. They basicly stayed the same performance wise.

superford3
05-09-2007, 06:55 PM
there is no superior car to the vic for a squad

Raudermaster
05-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I hear ya Charlie. But, I'm sure the Cops would definately love to have a BIT more pep under that hood. :) I still think Ford needs to beef it up a bit though.

larryo340
05-09-2007, 07:27 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
More HP would be nice in the CVPI. But trust me, superior driving skills will out run a faster car anyday!

CVPIs are up to 250 hp, but they now have 17 inch wheels. They basicly stayed the same performance wise.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know of any car faster than Motorola :D

whd507
05-09-2007, 07:46 PM
its not like 3-valve heads arent sitting around dearborn. it seems that would be a simple cost-effictive solution, but what do I know?

I've been to four ford dealers lately, not one had a CV in stock (new) and three out of four didnt know what a LX Sport was, or that its available.

sabtaj1
05-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I say bring back the Marauder!!!! A stripped down version for squads.

Motorhead350
05-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I hear ya Charlie. But, I'm sure the Cops would definately love to have a BIT more pep under that hood. :) I still think Ford needs to beef it up a bit though.

It's cheaper to invest in a radio and thats what more are turning to these days as far as "tools" for police.

GAMike
05-09-2007, 09:44 PM

My guess is new chase criteria for Police Dept's make it somewhat useless to buy a HiPo squad car for everyone.

I bet when Chief's of Police and Agency Administrators look at equipping their dept's with vehicles that are too fast/quick, they see serious repercussions of putting hot rods in the hands of their officers no matter how much training an officer has. Think about it...It would be a PR nightmare if the right newpaper told a story about a car chase involving a supercharged sumthin or a 500hp police car in a chase that killed someone.

While the Dodge boys are shouting "its got a Hemi" Ford probably sells the squad vehicles based on the other criteria. Reliability, space, utility, serviceability, officer endorsements ect. jmho of course.

RCSignals
05-09-2007, 10:31 PM

from what I've read, that is the v6 with no options.
With a V8, and equivalent options to the CV as usually ordered, the Charger is more $

fastblackmerc
05-10-2007, 04:34 AM

PM me & I'll give you my cell# so you can give me a shout when your in Cary.

Raudermaster
05-10-2007, 04:38 AM
I agree and you guys make all valid points, I wasn't dissing the Panther's, they have other ways of capturing criminals and whatnot, but why not at least have one fast squad car. ;)

offroadkarter
05-10-2007, 04:53 AM
They should design a marauder patrol car, that'd be wicked :D

Raudermaster
05-10-2007, 05:21 AM
Why? They'll just ruin them. They don't call them Vomit Comet's for no reason. Unless they do a stripped version like sabtaj stated.

offroadkarter
05-10-2007, 06:04 AM
didnt/doesnt florida have some marauders in there fleet?

Vortex
05-10-2007, 08:32 AM
To be honest, Ford could blow the police Chargers and Impalas out of the water by just dropping their price a few hundred dollars. IMHO Ford should just keep building them, they sell plenty of police cars and taxis and Grand Marquis when added together. Ive driven CVPIs, police Impalas and the 300 (which I bet is the same as the Charger) and yes, the hemi motor is by far the best. But what makes those other cars not suitable for police work is they are way too tight for an officer (or two) with all the gear and radio/computer equipment. The CVPI is the right combination of size/flexibility/performance.

That reminds me, I was driving the other day and caught up with a new 07 lite metallic blue GM LS and it sure looked nice going down the road.

Breadfan
05-10-2007, 08:51 AM
What Ford REALLY neads to the is re-release a special services vehicle version of the Mustang again. Remember the 5.0 notch police Mustangs?

Here in VA the state troopers have a few LS1 powered Camaro's roaming the interstates. I know because I was passed by one with flashing lights and he was MOVIN'. Now that's a great highway pursuit vehicle!

As for the CV, weren't there spy photos not long back of a CV with a hood scoop? The conjecture was that it was hiding the new test motor, perhaps a 3V or 5.4 variant. Of course I also recall hearing it may just have the motor installed to test the motor, not necessarily to test a new Crown Vic engine option.

Who knows?

A higher performance engine option for the CVPI would be nice, as an option, keeping hte base 2V 4.6 as the standard for cost/fuel economy issues. Gives a choice to mix up the fleet - I doubt police duty is always flooring it and high speed pursuits anyway...unlike in Hollywood! :)

magindat
05-10-2007, 08:54 AM
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know of any car faster than Motorola :D

That's why my Papa said he quit bootleggin. Couldn't out-run the radio!

Raudermaster
05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Yes, you can't beat the CV for the space it provides. Speaking of Camaro's, a statie around here drives a red LS1, 6 spd with some extra goodies I think. You can't even see inside the car. I was on the highway, when an SRT-8 Charger blew by me doing at least 115, and there was that Camaro right behind him and he was hauling some serious a$$.

RCSignals
05-10-2007, 10:25 AM
What Ford REALLY neads to the is re-release a special services vehicle version of the Mustang again. Remember the 5.0 notch police Mustangs?

With this new Mustang they may not have to. Out here there are quite a few new Mustangs doing that duty

Breadfan
05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
With this new Mustang they may not have to. Out here there are quite a few new Mustangs doing that duty

Cool, all they need is a spotlight conversion for the a-pillar. :)

sabtaj1
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
The charger is $1500 less than a Vic and the charger does have the hemi in it for that price. Just wonder what the reliability will be with them. As for the impalas went to crap fast.

ctrlraven
05-10-2007, 03:22 PM
From what I have heard and read in 2008 when they plan on redesigning the CV and Mustang to the Aus Falcon platform and then in 2009 they will be putting in the 300hp 3v 4.6L motor in the CV and the Mustang again will get another bump of power or size of the motor. It's all like a family hand me down thing their doing.

Who knows really? But a poll was done just for active patrolling LEOs and they said "Keep the CV the way it is, just give us more power".

jgc61sr2002
05-10-2007, 04:55 PM
didnt/doesnt florida have some marauders in there fleet?

Yes they were donated and will be returned to the doner upon completion of there use.:D

offroadkarter
05-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Yes they were donated and will be returned to the doner upon completion of there use.:D

they should disguise them as crown vics, and give some old cruisers back, switchy switchy :P

96DiamondVIII
05-10-2007, 05:12 PM
My question is how do they fit all of the police gear and the divider in anything smaller than a Panther. From the one ride in the back of a police car I've had (no, I wasn't arrested, got a lift home after I was involved in an accident), it's frikkin' cramped in the back! My knees were hitting the divider, and I'm not a tall guy (5'11"). I know leg/kneeroom isn't the strong suit of the standard wheelbase Panthers, but still...I don't know how they have ANY room behind the divider in a smaller police vehicle.

Then again I suppose comfort of the back-seat passengers isn't exactly paramount. :)

Vortex
05-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Also, the Chargers are unibodies. Good for light weight and speed, bad for jumping curbs ect... There is just nothing better for police work than a CVPI. Everybody wants a more powerful engine.

captJ696
05-10-2007, 07:55 PM
In New York City, NYPD went with the Dodge Chargers basically to have something different so when a recall comes up for their Chevy Impala or Ford Interceptor their entire fleet could be effected.

GreekGod
05-12-2007, 05:18 PM
...MadMax drove the last of the Interceptors...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/CVPIScoop003.jpg

knine
05-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I concur with just about all I've read here. The Cv is a good squad, just a gutless wonder. I actually had to take the spare out of the trunk to get all the equipment I'm supposed to carry in there and the deck lid to close. As "KEWL" and sassy as the Dodge's are, I could never get my equpment in there. Of course, I don't think I have to worry about new cars, they have nixed them for 07, 08, 09 and possible 10 they are saying. We have cars on the street witn around 300000 miles on them, a true testiment to FoMoCo's reliablility (and of course, our garage personnel....I don't know how they keep some of these beasts running).

larryo340
05-14-2007, 08:59 AM
...MadMax drove the last of the Interceptors...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/CVPIScoop003.jpg
:confused: is that a MOPAR hemi type like they used on the super stockers? if not it looks damn close, just mounted in reverse. Also is the rear of scoop open?
Does look cool either way :up:

GreekGod
05-14-2007, 01:33 PM
:confused: is that a MOPAR hemi type like they used on the super stockers? if not it looks damn close, just mounted in reverse. Also is the rear of scoop open?
Does look cool either way :up:

I got the scoop from Summit :<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=680 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=help vAlign=top align=left width=120 height=5>SUM-470800</TD><TD class=help vAlign=top align=left width=308 height=5>Hood Scoop, Dual, 28 in. Long, 31 in. Wide, 4 1/2 in. Tall, ABS Plastic, Black, Each </TD><TD class=help style="PADDING-RIGHT: 20px" vAlign=top align=right width=90 height=5>$59.95</TD><TD class=help vAlign=top align=right width=20 height=5>1</TD><TD class=help width=2 height=5></TD><TD class=help style="PADDING-RIGHT: 20px" vAlign=top align=right width=90 height=5>$59.95</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
It is a reversed (& over-size?) '69 Roadrunner six-pac scoop. The ABS is really too thin, but I need something to cover the S/C for going through a carwash. I also need another hood so I can trim the hole a little smaller. Inside view:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=7950&c=3&userid=2190

I have to reverse it for pully clearance, but it looks better reversed, anyway:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=7951&c=3&userid=2190

offroadkarter
05-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Thats awesome! I'd take it off on those sunny days, and let everyone see my whipple :D