PDA

View Full Version : Who Has A Pool?

MM2004
05-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Great weekend to open a pool, and doing just that. :)

While sipping on a rum and coke.
:beer:

Had to shock it this year due to algae, but should be ok in about a day or two.

Anyone else?

Mike.

offroadkarter
05-13-2007, 12:44 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/DSC0044.jpg

Its my grandparents pool, but its basically "my" pool

Ken
05-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Back in 1993, I had a 16 x 32' pool dug, then I built a room over it. 28' wide x 44' deep with a 4x10 bump out to accomodate the Hot Tub. No opening or closing the pool, No major chemical level swings due to rain, usage, leaves, or other debris. I throw in two bags of Lithium Chorine shock, every two weeks if I remember, sometimes longer.

Repair man is coming Tuesday to repair Hot Tub:banana2: , as its been down for two years, didn't want to repair it, if I wasn't going to keep the house.

Ken

finster101
05-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Swimmin' with the girls (my dogs) year round here in S W Fla

cyclopsram
05-13-2007, 04:22 PM
My foist pool cost $17K in 1977 and then $500K when da wife left...talk about money pit....

The Big Stu
05-13-2007, 04:44 PM
I have been cleaning them all my life with my dad...now I have a real job

lwblumjr
05-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi all,

Yeah, I've got a pool. It came with the house I bought in '99. It's looking clear but does need to be vacuumed (no screen.) I could probably be swimming in it if I wanted. (Maybe just a bit cool right now, though.)

CRUZTAKER
05-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I actually opened it 2 weeks ago. It was in great shape, just needed shocked and externally cleaned.

We're still waiting for the tree buds to stop falling before we start heating.;)

Mike
05-13-2007, 08:07 PM
[quote=MM2004;494733]Great weekend to open a pool, and doing just that. :)

While sipping on a rum and coke.

Nothing wrong with sitting back with a rum & Coke :D

Mad1
05-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I spent the weekend opening my pool.

This is a picture from last year, but you can see how popular it makes us.
http://home.comcast.net/~jnbheidt/IMG_0435.jpg

Had one small problem this year though.

Got the cover off, chemicals in, ports opened and pump primed ... then flipped the switch for the pump motor and got nada. Since it was a new pump only two years ago, I was hoping I wouldn't have to spring for another one so soon.

Enter the brother-in-law with his electical knowledge (he repairs, rebuilds and collections antique electronics ... think radios with tubes!) and a multimeter. After about a half-hour of diagnosing the pump and electrical connections ... we narrow it down to a bad switch. (Just to prove it ... we blew the switch and tripped the breaker after figuring out why it wasn't working 100%.)

For now, we temporarily wired it directly and I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow to get a new set of switches. (Figured I'd replace the booster pump switch while I'm at it.) The pump is happily filtering away as I type.

Mad1
Jeremy

I love my pool.

http://home.comcast.net/~jnbheidt/IMG_0568.JPG

MarauderMark
05-14-2007, 05:42 AM
It's not in my yard but here it is.
only thing is i don't know these people:D
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11 001&d=1179146560
Oh Yeah it's maintance free.:up:

juno
05-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Mine's been open year round since I bought the house. I don't go in it when the water temp drops below 80 unless it is a hot tub-pool cycle. :)
I lost my pool solar heat panels during the 04 hurricane season. I have a LP gas heater that I have not hooked up yet. I think I will run that this winter when the pool drops into the mid-low 70's.

The only thing I do differently is cut back on the pump run time in the winter.

MERCMAN
05-14-2007, 06:00 AM
It's not in my yard but here it is.
only thing is i don't know these people:D
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11 001&d=1179146560
Oh Yeah it's maintance free.:up:

Hey look!! A Baby Ruth candy bar :rofl:

MarauderMark
05-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey look!! A Baby Ruth candy bar :rofl:

:eek: That looks like a job for "Carl" the groundskeeper:D

SC Cheesehead
05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Swimmin' with the girls (my dogs) year round here in S W Fla

Sounds like my place. I've got 4 dachshunds, and 3 of them are in the pool all summer long.

Had some concrete work done on the pool deck last fall before we closed up, getting some solar panels installed this month, hope to be swimming by Memorial Day weekend.

In the mean time, I'm practicing with my rum and coke.:)

SCCH

Dragcity
05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Opened mine last week. Took a week to get the Ph up enough to see clearly. All is well with my Ph at 7.4 right now. Water is 65* and just put the solar cover on yesterday.

Haven't sparked up the heater yet, as our nights are still in the low 40s. Should be swimming this weekend. I am ALWAYS the first idiot in town to open his pool. Just one of those things I can't wait to do.

GA-Marauder
05-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Opened mine about a month ago, here in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Chlorine generator, so just add salt every once in awhile. Lowest maintenance pool I've ever had (this is my 6th pool, but first one I've had built). :P Just cranked up the heat pump a little to get the minimum temp the wife will stand!:D Automatic pool vac, screened, spa on one end...that's the life!:cool4:

rayjay
05-15-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't, but my inlaws 1/2 mile away do :D No pools here for a couple weeks yet. Had a hard freeze again Monday morning.

ParkRanger
05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Anyone else?

Yeah.
Pain in the *** to take care of, though - having to pay Lou "the pool guy" monthly via computer 'pay bill.'
Also, ruins quality cigars floating on pool lounge and the stick falls out of your mouth because of too many silver padrons.

Try the different dye packages that color the pool water for 3/4 days - pretty neat.

Be careful with little kids!

PR :burnout:

Bluerauder
05-16-2007, 09:26 AM
The local HOA doesn't permit any pools (in-ground or above ground) in our community at all. However, there are 5 very nice community pools available for use by the membership and a "Spray Ground" play facility for the kids. The one closest to me is an easy 1.5 block walk and includes a community center and staffing with lifeguards, etc. Quite convenient for us. Not as close as in the backyard; but I down have to worry about pool maintenance either. :D The entire facility is available to members to rent at pretty decent prices, too.

CRUZTAKER
05-26-2007, 01:38 PM
I took the pic, and got sidetracked. Never posted.

Nice 'ingrounds' some of you have! :up:

I opened several weeks ago, but turned the heater on yesterday.
Already a cozy 89 degrees.;)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/2/6/poolupload.jpg

Aren Jay
05-26-2007, 09:10 PM
A guy my Borther-inlaw worked with down under had a pool that was half inside and half outside his house.

This guy's son scared a contracter working inside the house when he watched this said son dive into the pool and never come back up.

On the otherhand:

I always liked the Trex decking, good for Pools, or just having a deck or if you like Golf...

http://www.trex.com/image/showcase/golf_deck.jpg

Mind you replacing the greens with water would make a cool little waterfall and pool!

quota
08-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Here is my pool. I was told it is the largest - private - one in the Laurentians...

CRUZTAKER
08-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Here is my pool. I was told it is the largest - private - one in the Laurentians...

Greenest as well...?

Sorry...couldn't resist.:D
The house in the back ground is quite....large as well.
Need bigger pics for sure. Thumbnails don't do it justice.

I type this ironically while standing in mine. Just me and the crickets...at 98 degrees water temp in Ohio.

SC Cheesehead
08-12-2007, 07:43 PM
We've got a pool.

First 3 years we owned the house we had a spool service maintain the thing. This year, my wife suggested we do our own cleaning and chemicals to "save money."

Yeah, right.

Outlay for chemicals and cleaning equipment could have paid for a new exhaust system on the 'Rauder.:mad2:

Plus I get to spend a couple hours a week cleaning the thing, not to mention fighting algae and keeping the chemistry balanced.

I think next year I go back to the pool cleaning guy so I can just kick back, relax and enjoy the pool.

BTW, that rum and coke is sounding pretty good right now!

SCCH

quota
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Greenest as well...?

Sorry...couldn't resist.:D
The house in the back ground is quite....large as well.
Need bigger pics for sure. Thumbnails don't do it justice.

I type this ironically while standing in mine. Just me and the crickets...at 98 degrees water temp in Ohio.
Looks green, yes. Actually as clean and as quiet as a mirror, reflecting the tall surrounding trees of the forest.
Can see a little bit more of the house in the members gallery (under "quota"). And if you are interested, you can even see it better on the REMAX-Quebec, Laurentians , Sainte-Adele web site. I put it for sale as I am intending to move to another province.
Friendly regards,
JP