PDA

View Full Version : I need help with towing capacities

CRUZTAKER
05-17-2007, 01:42 PM
I have done a bit a research, but cannot quite find the answers I am looking for.
I am hoping that one of our Ford- L/M employee members may further enlighten me.

I want to trailer tow my Marauder with my wife's 2004 Lincoln Aviator.
She has AWD, and the towing package from the factory.

The owner's manual is fuzzy, the dealer has no clue apparently, and the trailer rental company has some kind of software that has the ability to look up specific tow vehicles, match them with the towed vehicle, and calculate abilities. They show that the Vator is able to do it.

Is anyone else here able to find out the full honest capability of the Aviator with the class-III tow package and AWD?

MM2004
05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I have done a bit a research, but cannot quite find the answers I am looking for.
I am hoping that one of our Ford- L/M employee members may further enlighten me.

I want to trailer tow my Marauder with my wife's 2004 Lincoln Aviator.
She has AWD, and the towing package from the factory.

The owner's manual is fuzzy, the dealer has no clue apparently, and the trailer rental company has some kind of software that has the ability to look up specific tow vehicles, match them with the towed vehicle, and calculate abilities. They show that the Vator is able to do it.

Is anyone else here able to find out the full honest capability of the Aviator with the class-III tow package and AWD?

Barry,

We have an '04 Mountaineer AWD, and it can pull 7,000 lbs. IIRC

Cannot remember tongue weight. But I would say you should be OK.

We too, have the factory tow package.

MERCMAN
05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
go to f150online.com

MERCMAN
05-17-2007, 01:54 PM
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/default.asp

MERCMAN
05-17-2007, 01:59 PM
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_engines.aspx?year=2004&make=Lincoln&model=Aviator

Bluerauder
05-17-2007, 02:17 PM

Check here >>>> http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Camping-Towing/TowVehicles.htm

Look under "Ford/Lincoln/Mercury" and "SUV", it is listed there. Looks like it is 7,300 pounds for the 2WD and 7,100 pounds for the AWD.

This agrees with the new car buyers guides for the 2004 and 2005 models that I saw.

Looks like there is more than sufficient capacity to tow the MM at 4,164 lbs. Curb weight of the Aviator is over 5,000 lbs.

RF Overlord
05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Barry, I've towed transportable satellite dishes and emergency generators with my company van (a 2001 GMC Safari AWD), and I know that tongue weight is supposed to be approx 10% of the total towed weight, but beyond that, I can't help you with your specific vehicle. Good luck with your endeavour...

sailsmen
05-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I have rented a UHaul F250 and UHaul full size auto trailer.

Towed the MM 600 miles no problems.

I think your Aviator is marginal for the job.

mpearce
05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
If you don't have your own trailer, and you go with a rental place like U-haul, I know they will give you a weight distributor unit as part of your trailer rental package. The weight distributor option will allow you to tow more weight with the stock class 3 trailer hitch, making the issue of towing the Marauder a non-issue.

Marauderman
05-17-2007, 02:49 PM
I have rented a UHaul F250 and UHaul full size auto trailer.

Towed the MM 600 miles no problems.

I think your Aviator is marginal for the job.

Could you PM me what that kind of cost could be--been thinking of doing the same--but not as far--maybe 500-to 600-miles--heck guess its about the same after all--appreciate it if you could--Thanks-Tom

Bluerauder
05-17-2007, 04:58 PM
The weight distributor option will allow you to tow more weight with the stock class 3 trailer hitch, making the issue of towing the Marauder a non-issue.
This is a misconception. The weight distributor set-up only redistributes the "tongue weight" more equally across all 4 wheels rather than have it primarily supported by the rear axle. If he gets the car dolly trailer, the tongue weight will be virtually nothing since the front wheels of the Marauder will be carried by the dolly itself transmitting little if any weight to the tongue and hitch.

The issue is not whether the Aviator can tow the MM. It certainly has the power and the torque to get it moving and keep it moving. The real issue is stopping the load. The Marauder weighs in at about 80% of the Aviator. This means that the Aviator brakes will be trying to stop nearly twice the intended load. This may be the weakest link in the entire discussion and why someone above noted that the Aviator may be "marginal" for the job.

The stuff that I found said the AWD Aviator max towed load is 7,100 pounds. The Marauder is 60% of that load. That leaves some margin if you believe the 7,100 lb published number. How's your brakes on the Aviator??

mpearce
05-17-2007, 05:11 PM
This is a misconception.

Ok, I don't dissagree, however... The first sentence in this link says otherwise...

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/aboutwd.asp

This link also says that using this option will help improve your own breaking on the tow vehicle.

Good luck with the towing Barry.

-Mat

MENINBLK
05-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Everything I see says:

MAX TRAILER WEIGHT 3500 lbs. TOWING CAPACITY

Maximum GCWR 12,300 lbs. Maximum GCWR

or

Gross Trailer Weight Braked (lbs) 3,500 and Max Payload (lbs) 1,208

I saw a review that says the Ultimate AWD model can tow up to 7100 lbs.

So I can't really say for sure but if you have had
the Class III Trailer Towing package installed on your Aviator,
you should be fine.

CRUZTAKER
05-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Wow...now I see why I loved this site from day one.

THANK YOU!

I have been run ragged by my employer, taking on the tasks of three since the two recently hired over paid asshats were let go, and working 1600-0000 everyday. I cannot keep up with personal affairs lately.

I am pleased to hear this news.

Indeed she has the Ultimate package with OEM class-3. Her brakes have 21k and last I looked at wheel swap in April, I thought this would be the year for rear replacements. The dealer said they wee fine at her 20k checkup.

I do intent to TRAILER, NOT DOLLY.

I will merely drive slow, and I assume with the OD off (using only 4th gear), and watching my stops carefully.

larryo340
05-17-2007, 08:22 PM
as long as the car trailer has brakes you will be fine. A friend just towed his '57 chevy from Long Island to Memphis for the pump gas drags. This with his INFINITI truck(sister to NISSAN Armada) on an open full deck trailer with no sweat.

Raudermaster
05-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Barry you should be ok. My mom's '04 Expo 4wd is fully loaded (minus leather seats and a moonroof) and we've towed some big trailers with it before and the 4.6l had 0 struggles with it.

Raudermaster
05-17-2007, 08:25 PM
The QX56 is a LOT bigger than an Aviator my friend...it shouldn't have a problem towing it.

larryo340
05-17-2007, 08:38 PM
The QX56 is a LOT bigger than an Aviator my friend...it shouldn't have a problem towing it.
I know it has more power & torque than an Aviator, my point was that he towed a very long distance (about 1,200 miles). I did not think CRUZTAKER wanted to tow that far. Could be wrong though.
Hey CRUZTAKER how far are you towing ??

CRUZTAKER
05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
I dunno :dunno:

Zack moved.
I'm guessing 400 miles?

larryo340
05-18-2007, 03:13 AM

Zack moved.
I'm guessing 400 miles?
No problem your Aviator could do it no problem

Marauderjack
05-18-2007, 03:23 AM
That's pretty flat country out there and you will not have a problem.:shake:

Basically you can TOW up to double the recommended weight assuming the tongue weight is 300# or so.....If too light it will swing back and forth above 55-60 MPH!!!:depress: If that happens move the car forward a couple inches at a time until it tows true!!:beer:

The biggest problem with ANY towing arrangement is STOPPING and following too close!! You will learn about this in the first 25 miles or so!!:rolleyes:

I have pulled my Cobra in an enclosed trailer.....total weight about 6k pounds with my Marauder (and two CV's) and it works fine.....You just have to remember to always allow for evasive maneuvers......especially with the MORONS on the road today!!!:shake:

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

Bluerauder
05-18-2007, 04:23 AM

Zack moved.
I'm guessing 400 miles?
333 miles to Homewood, IL on I-80/I-90 per Google Maps. I thought it was closer to 400 also.

The trailer will add probably 2000 pounds to the load. Plus MM puts you close to 6200 pounds overall and nearly 90% of max for the Aviator not including the weight of any Barry mods on the MM. Be careful out there.

Raudermaster
05-18-2007, 04:28 AM
MJ is right about stopping distance etc. Be very careful at first and get used to it. When you tow stuff that heavy, even including my father's truck not just my mom's explorer, it feels like something is pushing you from the back and your brakes are failing. Do not worry though, just stop sooner and don't speed!

Zack
05-18-2007, 04:35 AM
We got a spot in the garage waiting for ya Barry!

Mike Poore
05-18-2007, 04:38 AM
Wow...now I see why I loved this site from day one.

THANK YOU!

I have been run ragged by my employer, taking on the tasks of three since the two recently hired over paid asshats were let go, and working 1600-0000 everyday. I cannot keep up with personal affairs lately.

I am pleased to hear this news.

Indeed she has the Ultimate package with OEM class-3. Her brakes have 21k and last I looked at wheel swap in April, I thought this would be the year for rear replacements. The dealer said they wee fine at her 20k checkup.

I do intent to TRAILER, NOT DOLLY.

I will merely drive slow, and I assume with the OD off (using only 4th gear), and watching my stops carefully.

We've towed that much with Barb's '05 Avaitor, Barry, taking John's Mustang to Ohio over some big hills, with a U-Haul, then with a private flatbed open trailer, loaded with 4 skids of clay birds ~5,000 lbs. It's OK, just do it.

CRUZTAKER
05-18-2007, 05:58 AM
OK, I got home late last night and found what I will call the MSDS for the Vator in her manual. It is actually a sticker added to a page in the back as an option.

MAX GCWR = 12,300 LBS
TRAILER WT RANGE = 0-7100 LBS

10-15% OF WEIGHT ON TONGUE and must not exceed max tongue load
500lbs WEIGHT CARRYING / 750 LBS. WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING.

*Towing a trailer over 3500 lbs requires a weight carring class-III distributing hitch

*Towing a trailer over 5000 lbs requires a weight class-III distributing hitch with aftermarket weight distributing equipment.

^^^What does that last line mean? Aftermarket what???

Raudermaster
05-18-2007, 06:12 AM
A shot in the dark, but I think it means like a weight leveling kit so that your car won't be un-even.

magindat
05-18-2007, 06:41 AM
OK, I got home late last night and found what I will call the MSDS for the Vator in her manual. It is actually a sticker added to a page in the back as an option.

MAX GCWR = 12,300 LBS

*Towing a trailer over 3500 lbs requires a weight carring class-III distributing hitch

*Towing a trailer over 5000 lbs requires a weight class-III distributing hitch with aftermarket weight distributing equipment.

Barry,
You can tow up to 7100. 10% is 710 tongue. The truck is rated for 500 tongue. If you follow the math, you need to 'distribute' 210. This is what you would use. (http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/WD/weight-distribution.htm?vcn=google&vcad=1DrawTite_DrawtiteHitches _WeightDistributioX&gclid=CLeu-_Dll4wCFRGCGgodqTFW6g)

However, your load is not fixed (assuming flat trailer). You can move the car forward or back by inches to approach the rated tongue weight. Even though you are carrying 6000-ish, you can load the tongue to about 450-ish.

If you want to get an idea of how to load, get a tape measure and 2 or 3 friends that total about 500 in weight. On a level surface, measure the hitch height. Let the 2 or 3 sit on the rear with legs hanging down. Measure again. Now, when you are loading the car, measure in the same fashion. Car + trailer should equal the lower measurement (or the same difference from loaded to unloaded). You now have 450 - 500 tongue properly loaded.

As many have stated, the biggest issue is braking. If you are renting a u-haul, most are equipped with what I call 'surge' brakes. There's a spring in the yoke that compresses as the trailer 'pushes' the tow vehicle. The more that spring compresses, the more trailer brake is applied.

These are the suggestions for the ULTRA PARANOID. Do the tongue loading thing and give yourself plenty of braking distance and you'll be fine.

chader
05-18-2007, 07:06 AM
7115 Lbs....deduct 500 Lbs With Rear Climate Control...and Take In To Consideration Weight Distrabution...no Problem!!!!

sailsmen
05-18-2007, 09:13 AM
It's best to have margins, thats whats the difference between a fatal accident and no crash.

A good friends brother-in-law was killed while in a Suburban towing a Jeep. The cause was believed to be over loading.

I have towed a 25' Airstream w/ an E350 w/ all the rite set up. She towed like there was nothing back there except for one very important issue hard breaking. The stopping distances were significantly longer, perhaps double.

Same with a 6,000lb boat I towed w/ a Ram 2500. The boat tracked well but not as well as the Airstream.

magindat
05-18-2007, 09:50 AM
It's best to have margins, thats whats the difference between a fatal accident and no crash.

A good friends brother-in-law was killed while in a Suburban towing a Jeep. The cause was believed to be over loading.

You are right about margins.

I'm sorry to hear about a loss, but I can't believe the 'overloading' for the Suburban. Improper loading, maybe.

I've towed the Marauder on a 2100 lb backhoe trailer with a 1500 Silverado (which is the same frame and drive train as a Suburban). I towed a Corvette and a Camaro both together on the same trailer with the same truck with the addition of a trailer brake controller. I've towed a 5000 lb hunting buggy and 4 4wheelers on that same trailer out into the woods through mud holes and all with the same truck in 4wd low. I even pulled out a 3500 Dodge in reverse while I had a 1500 lb trailer loaded with 4-4wheelers and a weekend worth of gear! However, I never would tow the 11K lb backhoe on that trailer with that truck. I used the 3500 Dodge for THAT!

sailsmen
05-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Back to my margins. Did you have to hard break or swerve during those tows?

I had to hard brake w/ the Airstream on a bridge when it had just started to rain going over the Ms River. Fortunately the guy who cut me off realized he was about to be pushed either over the bridge or into on coming traffic and got out of the way.

Most tows you will not, but that one time you do and the margins are the difference between death and nothing.

They never full determined the "cause". A lot of law suits and a lot of money paid out. What I heard was it was caused by an over load, 4 guys w/ hunting gear, etc.

larryo340
05-18-2007, 11:08 AM

MAX GCWR = 12,300 LBS

A weight distibuting trailer equipment is mounted to the front of trailer near on the A-frame arms and uses a special ball mount on truck. What it does is takes exessive tongue weight and moves it onto the trailer wheels.
Think of the trucks or cars you have seen towing and the rear sagging down of the tow vehicle and trailer nose down. This evens out the load and lifts the rear of tow vehicle and front tongue of trailer so towing vehicle steering and brakes work properly.
If too much tongue weight and rear of truck is down the steering gets light and brakes are overloaded in rear, and fronts could lock up.
read this link:http://www.etrailer.com/faq/aboutwd.asp

Mike Poore
05-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Tongue weight figuring is easy. Just drive/push the car up on the trailer with the tow vehicle headlights turned on. Then inch the vehicle you're towing forward on the trailer until the headlights on the tow vehicle are pointing straight up, or it's bumper contacts the pavement, whichever comes first. :rofl:

BTW, I'm towing Sunshine up to Carlisle, in two weeks, on an open trailer, with the Aviator. I stopped in at Sam's today and got 4 of those heavy duty mother strap thingeys. also there will be safety chains, front and back. Don't even think about using those 1" or 1 1/2" hobby strap sets.

Mike's rule of things in motion: When you and the trailer stop, so must the car on the trailer. :rolleyes: