PDA

View Full Version : Cali

dwasson
05-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Let me tell you about Cali.

In the fall of 2000 I received a telephone call from the animal shelter in Findley Ohio. They had found a Kuvasz running loose in the countryside north of Findley. As I was the closest agent of Kuvasz Rescue the shelter was aware of, they called me to see what I could do to help find her a home.

Susie had died a few months previous to this, and Trooper got along with other dogs, so Debbie and I decided to foster her while we looked for a permanent home. Findley is about a hundred miles from our house, call it two hours in bad traffic. We picked up the dog at the shelter in Findley and were immediately impressed by her demeanor. She was calm in the crate as we drove. She was alert but, laid down and never made a sound. We discussed the process of fostering a new dog as we drove home. How to schedule feeding and exercise times until we are sure how well Trooper and the new dog would get along. About 40 miles up the road, Debbie then said, "She needs a name. You said that the next dog should be Caledonia." So, that was her name. Before we got home I was discussing keeping her if she got along with Trooper.

Cali fit in well. While Trooper was definitely Debbie's dog, Cali was Daddy's girl. If possible she was between Trooper and I. There was never any fighting, or even a growl, but Trooper was not allowed to lie next to my feet if Cali was in the room. We took her to our vet for shots and to be neutered. When the vet was prepping her for surgery they found a scar indicating that she was already neutered.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r258/danwasson/Cali154.jpg

The years with Cali have been good ones. She was a fierce protector and a gentle member of the family. She was smart and graceful, yet good natured and full of humor. When I came home from the hospital after my hip replacement she laid across the doorway to my bedroom, protecting me in my weakness.

We have a morning ritual, where Cali jumps on the bed when I wake up in the morning. She gets a concentrated 5 minutes of ear rubs, belly rubs, and intense attention. Then I tell her, "Time to get up!" and she jumps off the bed and we begin our day. Last week, when she jumped off the bed she began to favor her right rear leg. We weren't initially concerned, but by Monday it was an issue.

Our vet examined her, and on the X-ray, found a tumor on the top end of her tibia. The X-ray showed that the bone of her leg, just below the knee cap, was full of holes and eroded. Our vet thought that she has osteosarcoma, but sent us to the Cancer Center for Animals for further examination and recommendations.

The Cancer Center vet confirmed that it is osteosarcoma and told us more about treatment and management. This is a very hot tumor. If we act aggressively, amputate the leg and chemotherapy she could live 3 to 12 months. Without aggressive action the end will come sooner. We have decided that, while we may take more heroic measures to prolong her life, prolonging her death is not an option. If she has a few months to live we do not want her to spend them recovering from an amputation and the disruption of chemotherapy.

So, we have some strong narcotic painkillers and NSAIDs. We will keep her comfortable, and when that is not possible, we will ease her exit. When she loses interest in food and attention we will know that it is time to let her go. She is resting now. But she follows us around the house and yard, barks at passersby, and keeps Zevon in line. She is a good dog.

Dr Caleb
05-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Man, it's never good to have to let go of a good friend.

I hope her passing is gentle.

JMan
05-20-2007, 03:09 AM
So sorry to hear of Cali's ailment. My Brother's Rottweiller is suffering from the same thing. They immediately changed all three of their dog's food over to organic. He hasn't had any further growth of the tumor, but we don't know about the bone structure.

I feel for you. I hope everything works out well!

Best wishes,

J

finster101
05-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear about your pal. I can't seem to call them just dogs anymore. Lost both of mine last year. A sheperd mix 15 and a Belgian Malanois 10. (King and Star) Happened within three months of each other. Still miss them. We have two new girls now. 2 Belgians they are sisters. I agree with your call of quality not quantity about life. The way I would want it for myself as well. Enjoy your time!

dwasson
06-09-2007, 07:47 AM
We could tell that the pain was getting worse and it looked like her lungs were becoming compromised. So, we had Cali put down this morning. She went peacefully with her head in my arms.

It's a crappy way to begin a day.

MM03MOK
06-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Dan, I missed this thread because I was away when you started it. Cali's now healthy and pain-free, playing over the Rainbow Bridge.

http://www.northcoastgreyhounds.net/images/RainbowBridgeOriginal.jpg

finster101
06-09-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about this. We had to do the same thing a little while back. It sucks. Don't second guess your decision, a lot of people don't get treated with as much dignity with their illness

RCSignals
06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
We could tell that the pain was getting worse and it looked like her lungs were becoming compromised. So, we had Cali put down this morning. She went peacefully with her head in my arms.

Dan, I know exactly where you are in this. We had to do the same to our fellow a little over a year ago. He was born in the house, he never new any other master.

It is never easy, but rest assured that you did the right thing for Cali, and she will always be with you in some way.

JamesHecker
06-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Sounds like a great Dog. Sorry. I miss mine :-(

Local Boy
06-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Sorry for your loss. You've been blessed with her presence. Mine passed several years ago... still miss him dearly.

PhastPhil
06-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Dan, I am so sorry for your loss. You have done the right thing by her. She is in a better place now. Happy and pain free. She is watching over you and your family.
You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

AzMarauder
06-12-2007, 06:04 PM

No words really help at a time like this. I've been down this trail three times and with 5 dogs at the house...

I think you made the correct choice. Many people don't have the courage to let go gracefully and put the animal through unneeded pain.

CRUZTAKER
06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Our thoughts are with you. :o