PDA

View Full Version : Trans pan question

gmtech
05-21-2007, 05:26 PM
can the stock style trans pan w/ drain plug that DR sells be tapped for a trans temp sender or is it too shallow...really dont have $ for deep aluminum pan right now but will installing gauge soon along w/ upgrading the rest of the gauges...anyone tap their stock pan and where is the best location...THX

Dennis Reinhart
05-21-2007, 05:28 PM
can the stock style trans pan w/ drain plug that DR sells be tapped for a trans temp sender or is it too shallow...really dont have $ for deep aluminum pan right now but will installing gauge soon along w/ upgrading the rest of the gauges...anyone tap their stock pan and where is the best location...THX

It could if you have the correct size bung welded on the side, the metal is to thin to just drill and tap.

gmtech
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
is that something you could do for me?..it would be much appreciated:D

Dennis Reinhart
05-21-2007, 05:35 PM
is that something you could do for me?..it would be much appreciated:D

Yes I have the pans in stock, call Jackie I will need to know the sensor hole size and the thread pitch and guage, will get it out tomorrow.

MENINBLK
05-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Trans temp sender doesn't belong in the pan.
It belongs between the tranny and the cooler.
This is where you read the HOTTEST temperature.
Autometer sells the manifold that installs inline.

Dennis Reinhart
05-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Trans temp sender doesn't belong in the pan.
It belongs between the tranny and the cooler.
This is where you read the HOTTEST temperature.
Autometer sells the manifold that installs inline.

I respect your opinion, but I know of several that have it in the pan as well.

MENINBLK
05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
I respect your opinion, but I know of several that have it in the pan as well.

And those that take readings from the pan don't really know just how hot the oil gets.
Every 10 degrees over 190 cuts the life of the tranny oil in half.
If it is 190F in the pan and 210F at the cooler,
which temperature would you want showing up on your gauge ?

Dennis Reinhart
05-21-2007, 06:01 PM
which temperature would you want showing up on your gauge ?

I don't have one.

gmtech
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
DR the sender says its 1/8 in NPT...autometer trans temp gauge # 4949....do you know how much it would add to the price of the pan?...what other info do you need?

Dennis Reinhart
05-21-2007, 06:08 PM
DR the sender says its 1/8 in NPT...autometer trans temp gauge # 4949....do you know how much it would add to the price of the pan?...what other info do you need?

I will have it tig welded, just ad 25.00 and thank you for the sale.

gmtech
05-21-2007, 06:09 PM
call you in the morning w/ pymt ...thx again:D

MENINBLK
05-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Autometer 2286 Trans Temp Manifold for 3/8 OD line
http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid =165

Autometer 2287 Trans Temp Manifold for 5/16 OD line
http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid =169

Both are about $40.00.

larryo340
05-21-2007, 09:09 PM
It makes sense what MENINBLK is talking about, but whats the harm installing it in the pan so long as you are aware of temp difference.
On the other hand put in the "HOT" line probably would make it easier to service trans. I had a pan temp sender in my old hot rod and it was a pain when it came time to drop pan.
I haven't seen that inline type till MENINBLK mentioned it, and I like it. I guess it's new?

MENINBLK
05-22-2007, 07:14 PM
It makes sense what MENINBLK is talking about, but whats the harm installing it in the pan so long as you are aware of temp difference.
On the other hand put in the "HOT" line probably would make it easier to service trans. I had a pan temp sender in my old hot rod and it was a pain when it came time to drop pan.
I haven't seen that inline type till MENINBLK mentioned it, and I like it. I guess it's new?

It's been around as long as Autometer has been making Trans Temp Gauges.

I have EXTENSIVE Experience with trannys burning up.
Not with the Marauder but with FWD Fords.
If you put the sensor on the line from the tranny to the cooler,
the gauge will read the exact same temperature as a scan tool would read.
I've had to tested, and the Service Manager I showed it to couldn't believe it.

I've seen tranny oil get as hot as 350F coming out of the tranny,
and it would be 180F coming out of the cooler.
Tranny oil exits the Torque Converter and then goes through the tranny pump.
When it leaves the pump it splits between the cooler circuit and the valve body.
There is a pressure regulator at the split that maintaines internal tranny pressure
while still feeding the cooler circuit.
This is why I stress it is so important to read the temps where they are the HOTTEST.

larryo340
05-22-2007, 07:33 PM

Not with the Marauder but with FWD Fords.
If you put the sensor on the line from the tranny to the cooler,
the gauge will read the exact same temperature as a scan tool would read.
I've had to tested, and the Service Manager I showed it to couldn't believe it.

I've seen tranny oil get as hot as 350F coming out of the tranny,
and it would be 180F coming out of the cooler.
Tranny oil exits the Torque Converter and then goes through the tranny pump.
When it leaves the pump it splits between the cooler circuit and the valve body.
There is a pressure regulator at the split that maintaines internal tranny pressure
while still feeding the cooler circuit.
This is why I stress it is so important to read the temps where they are the HOTTEST.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but correct me if I'm wrong, the fluid in the pan after cooling is about to re-enter trans thru pick-up tube. It seems hard to believe that with all the friction in the transmission the fluid would stay at after cooler temps. With that in mind you would want the intake fluid to be as low in temp as possible, and use that temp as a guide.
I with you 100% the lower the temp the better.

Dennis Reinhart
05-22-2007, 09:09 PM
[quote=MENINBLK;497218]It's been around as long as Autometer has been making Trans Temp Gauges.

quote] I am sure you do, I never questioned this

I respect your opinion, since you aparently dissagree with mine, why not sell you own kit. Here is my thinking and lets end it here, the transmission pan is a reservoir that holds 4/5 quarts of fluid, this is fluid sucked directly in the transmission through the transmission filter into the valve body, this is the actual transmission temperature entering the transmission, if the sensor is in in the line of course its going to read higher, it's on it's way to the transmission cooler to be cooled down, prior to entering the transmission pan, now this customer asked my company to add the bung to the pan we sell, you have expressed your opinion now, three times. My customer has the pan on its way to him, with the bung in the pan, so I feel we have addressed this enough, again I respect your opinion I just do not agree with it, enough said.

MENINBLK
05-23-2007, 07:11 AM

I am sure you do, I never questioned this

I respect your opinion, since you aparently dissagree with mine, why not sell you own kit. Here is my thinking and lets end it here, the transmission pan is a reservoir that holds 4/5 quarts of fluid, this is fluid sucked directly in the transmission through the transmission filter into the valve body, this is the actual transmission temperature entering the transmission, if the sensor is in in the line of course its going to read higher, it's on it's way to the transmission cooler to be cooled down, prior to entering the transmission pan, now this customer asked my company to add the bung to the pan we sell, you have expressed your opinion now, three times. My customer has the pan on its way to him, with the bung in the pan, so I feel we have addressed this enough, again I respect your opinion I just do not agree with it, enough said.

So why is the COOLANT sensor placed on the engine where the coolant EXITS the engine and not near the coolant pump ?
Why isn't placed next to the thermostat ?
Why isn't it in the coolant reservoir bottle ?

Why are the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensors placed in the Cylinder heads and not the block ?

Yes we disagree, but HEAT KILLS FLUIDS AND OILS.
Measuring the coldest point in a system gives false, misleading and unassuring results, in my opinion.
If you really want to know just how well your transmission and transmission cooling systems are working,
then place TWO temperature gauges on the system.
One before the cooler and one in the pan.
The one before the cooler will tell you how much heat your transmission is creating.
The one in the pan will tell you how well your cooler is working.
The greater the difference between the two, the more efficient the system is working.

The oil in the pan is just that...oil in a pan.
It it not being utilized until it is pumped into the converter, and pumped into the valve body under pressure.
A bad/slipping converter can heat your transmision oil to unbelieveable temperatures,
killng the life of you oil, and your cooler can be working very hard to exhaust all of that additinoal heat.
You would NEVER know it if the temp in the pan is always low.
If you could see it on a gauge, it could alert you to a problem long before the tranny fails.

Yes the pan holds 4 quarts.
The other 8.4 quarts is in the tranmsision, the converter and the cooler.

Would you agree with this ?

I may just take you up on such a kit.

wchain
05-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Heres what meninblk is talking about.....

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/pmc/CatImages/PG02-R1.gif

http://www.hitches-forless.com/transmisson_coolers/pics/transchart.gif

Honestly, if you're really going to be driving your car THAT hard to warrant needing a trans temp gauge, heres the way to install it.

The most accurate readings of transmission fluid temp is fluid that is LEAVING the transmission via the cooler lines. So place your sending unit to the transmission fluid sending line. This is where the ATF will be at the hottest and the temperature you're gonna want to see. This is the LOWER transmission line on the rad. Locate this line on the radiator side on the passenger side. You can install a block here to insert a temperature sending unit.

That being said, FWIW, I tow with my Navigator and before that the Dodge Ram 2500 and the F-150, and I never had a transmission fluid gauge on any of those, HOWEVER, I did change the transmission fluid in those vehicles every 15,000 miles because I did tow with them. The F-150 had 230,000 miles when I sold it, and the transmission shifted like new, with frequent fluid and filter changes, you should be just fine. Innovative INterceptors had a 2003 F350 CrewCab dually with the 6.0L Powerstroke and a Automatic Transmission, which we did install a Trans temp gauge in the side of the transmission (Factory test port) and normail operation never saw temps above 130-140 degrees. But, put a gooseneck three car hauler on it with three Crown Vics and temps spike to 200-220 in stop and go traffic. Kinda puts things in perspective. I doubt our cars will see this in 'normal' driving, but if you do a LOT of idling in stop and go traffic, tow, drag or autocross, monitoring and/or frequent service of your Marauder's transmission is essential to a long service life.

Remember folks, heat kills a transmission. Fluid is relatively cheap compared to a 4R70W/75W rebuild, do yourself a favor, change your fluid regularly, whether it be 15K,30K or 60K intervals, depending on how your drive.

Just my .02

larryo340
05-23-2007, 07:27 AM
:confused:but the original question remains
On these charts where are they checking transmission fluid temp ??
until we know the debate :argue: will never end!!

Shora
05-23-2007, 08:20 AM
:confused:but the original question remains
On these charts where are they checking transmission fluid temp ??
until we know the debate :argue: will never end!!

I believe they are checking it at the hottest point.

The hotter the fluid gets, the shorter its life span as to its ability to properly cool and lubricate the transmission.

The debate here is not where fluid is the hottest. It is very clear that transmission fluid is hottest as it leaves the transmission on its way to the cooler. People who put their sensor where the fluid is most hot have the best information into how much damage the fluid is actually sustaining and can therefore make a better decision on how often to change it.

gmtech
05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
reason for trans temp gauge?..FOR LOOKS ONLY for me ..i dont beat the car enough to warrant a gauge to measure the life expectancy of the fluid..i just go by the odometer..change fluid once a year or every 25000 miles..just wanted to fill dual A pillar pod w/ nice gauges...just like factory oil pressure gauge for looks only....didnt mean to start a tecnical arguement...sorry

Shora
05-23-2007, 08:57 AM
reason for trans temp gauge?..FOR LOOKS ONLY for me ..i dont beat the car enough to warrant a gauge to measure the life expectancy of the fluid..i just go by the odometer..change fluid once a year or every 25000 miles..just wanted to fill dual A pillar pod w/ nice gauges...just like factory oil pressure gauge for looks only....didnt mean to start a tecnical arguement...sorry

What you see as arguing I see as educational. We are all trying to be respectful and we could all learn from others here. No always seeing eye to eye on every issue just makes it that more educational and fun IMO.

People are taking their time to post information based on their experience and education. Most of the time the advice is so good and dead on that it should be paid for.

Since you are already using a gauge, why not have it give you the most accurate or most helpful information possible?

DEFYANT
05-23-2007, 09:17 AM
This site is chock full of info on the subject. Most owners went with reading the temp from the trans line to the cooler. This is the route I went also. After seeing my temps stay around 190* and spike to around 220*+ in hard driving, I added the FRPP aux cooler. Now my "hot line" temps stay around 170* - 180* and pike to around 210* and drop quickly.

Get off DR back. He's only trying to make a buck or two. I bet if I walked into his shop and said "I have a Trilogy and would like to add a Vortech to it", he'd find a way to make it work! It might not be right, but hey - he has a paying customer willing to finance the project.

It is not his fault if gmtech wants to do it this way. Hell, some guys have multiple sensors and toggle between them all. Rich Long reads the cold and hot side of the trans...

This is another one of those threads.

gmtech
05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
What you see as arguing I see as educational. We are all trying to be respectful and we could all learn from others here. No always seeing eye to eye on every issue just makes it that more educational and fun IMO.

People are taking their time to post information based on their experience and education. Most of the time the advice is so good and dead on that it should be paid for.

Since you are already using a gauge, why not have it give you the most accurate or most helpful information possible?

my opinion is that this location is the most accurate and most helpful..ive used the search on this site millions of times and read others opinion on this subject so i knew what i was stepping into...i appreciate everyone taking time to reply

larryo340
05-23-2007, 04:28 PM
no need to be sorry, it gives us something to do. Besides sometimes it is fun to watch the bickering (NOT directed at anyone)