PDA

View Full Version : cant get computer to accept new memory

whd507
05-24-2007, 03:20 AM
pc2700 DDR trying to install 2 gig, which is the max for the motherboard, the Bios is set for auto, and it seems to be the exact specs needed, according to the mfg, and crucial's website. install it, and it never boots, the video adaptor never comes on either.

any ideas?

Mad4Macs
05-24-2007, 04:42 AM
1st question... does it boot if you remove the new RAM?

offroadkarter
05-24-2007, 04:45 AM
Yes if it boots w/o the new ram, but if you put it in and it doesnt, that means you need to pair that ram stick with another like it. I have a 512 stick thatll work with any ram if your interested.

Raudermaster
05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
PC2700<PC4000 FTW! Is it one stick or two sticks? (1 x 1GB) If two, try each one individually to see if one is possibly bad. Don't laugh, it's happend to me and friends of mine before.
</P>

Raudermaster
05-24-2007, 07:01 PM
WTF? I typed a whole repsonse and that's all that showed up? PC4000 is great :D. If it's two stick's (1 x 1GB) try each one individually to see if one stick is burnt out. It could be possible, it's happened to me many of times and friends of mine.

Icarus
05-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Try one piece at a time, then if it boots, go into the bios and change the settings to what the memory manufacturer recommends (mainly voltage and timing.) Once set, save the settings and try it with both pieces installed.

MM2004
05-26-2007, 03:29 AM
After installing the new RAM, and immediately after booting does the machine beep?

If so, the post beeps are telling you something.

If the machine is a Dell, you have to disconnect the power cord to the machine and wait for the amber light on the MB to go out before installing RAM.

Search here for the beeps if this is the case ->

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_be ep_codes

Mike.

MM2004
05-26-2007, 03:47 AM
Dell specific ->

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?cat=sup&s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&k=bios%20beep%20code&x=0&y=0

Mike.

Agent M79
05-26-2007, 06:45 AM
cant get computer to accept new memory...

Change can be difficult. While some thrive on it, most will offer some level of resistance. Acceptance is always the final phase.

First there is the denial. 'No! This is not happening!'
Then the anger. 'This ISN'T FAIR!'
My favorites, the bargaining. 'If this works, I will...'
Then the depression. 'Forget it. I can't change it. <sigh>'
The finally, acceptance. 'Ok. It's done and I can move on.'

It's likely you just haven't moved through this initial phases yet.