PDA

View Full Version : Got snakes?

CRUZTAKER
05-26-2007, 08:17 PM
This should prove interesting.
With the diverse regional membership, I'll be curious to see what slithers in your backyard.

In the far northern reaches of Ohio, we have few snakes.

This was one of the bigger garden sankes I have seen in some time.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/2/6/SNAKE007Large.jpg

MERCMAN
05-26-2007, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=CRUZTAKER;498340]

This was one of the bigger garden sankes I have seen in some time.

QUOTE]

Are sankes decaffeinated versions of regular garden snakes??
:rofl:

CRUZTAKER
05-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah yeah...

Look at you button man, trouble with the quote function?;)

RCSignals
05-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah yeah...

Look at you button man, trouble with the quote function?;)

now that's :lol:

MyTMerc
05-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Copperheads and Black/King snakes down here in Southern Maryland. I had one poke his head out from under the front portion of my Corvette's engine compartment last weekend. He's since gone on to greener pastures.

Use caution when doing your oil change:eek:

FastMerc
05-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Oh looky a new pet!

sailsmen
05-27-2007, 07:34 AM
In the past 30 days while jogging, King, Garder & Black Rat.

They are clearing phse 3 in my sub which is displacing the snakes.

Vortex
05-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Its been raining like hell here in Texas for the past few days so I imagine there are all sorts of creepy crawly things about looking for a dry place. I shall tread carefully in the garage.

fastblackmerc
05-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Good thing about snakes, they keep the rodent population in check. Nice looking one you've got there!

rumble
05-27-2007, 09:56 AM
In the Dallas area we mostly find Rat Snakes, Racers, Western Diamondbacks.
Lots of water snakes, of course.

rayjay
05-27-2007, 10:31 AM
garden snakes and occaisonal northern timber rattler, nothing a .410 can't take care of...

RCSignals
05-27-2007, 04:14 PM
We get garden snakes that big here. A few other Garden/Garter varieties I don't know specific names for.

Eastern Oregon gets Rattlers.

mrjones
05-28-2007, 08:28 AM
With all the rain over in central TX this weekend, we saw tons of them on Lake Belton. The lake rose 5 or 6 feet while we were on it Sat. Lots of snakes looking for new, dry homes.

Mad1
05-28-2007, 10:40 AM
We get the occasional rat snake of generous proportions, but usually they are looking for mice in the neighbor's barns. The only reptiles I'm constantly on watch for are terrapins (turtles), which I really hate to hit with the mower. It's a pain to have to get a set of new blades and it doesn't do the turtle any good either.

Mad1
Jeremy

Dr Caleb
05-28-2007, 11:51 AM
We have very few here. A couple types of Garter snakes. In the southern part of the province, there are Rattlesnakes in the hoodoo regions, and south western desert area. The North West Athabasca Desert is too cold for them.

Every year, about this time, the Garter snakes come out of their dens by the hundreds of thoushands. It's really freaky, even if you aren't scared of snakes.

They are totally harmless, but just the sheer numbers gives you the willies.

CRUZTAKER
05-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Every year, about this time, the Garter snakes come out of their dens by the hundreds of thoushands. .....

I caught another this morning. He tried to out run me along the pool edge.

That's like the third this weekend, and none for years here.

larryo340
05-28-2007, 07:17 PM
can't stand snakes :run:, glad you barely see them here on Long Island

LordVader
05-29-2007, 06:53 AM
That looks to be a well fed Garter snake. Keep him around he'll keep the other creepy crawlies away.

Pops
05-29-2007, 07:01 AM
The Cockers find the Garter snakes in the back yard. They do not like them and I like them even less!

RoyLPita
05-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Down here in South Florida, I have to worry about the Burmese Pythons that are running loose because their owners let them go.

Dr Caleb
05-29-2007, 09:18 AM
I caught another this morning. He tried to out run me along the pool edge.

That's like the third this weekend, and none for years here.

I guess they are important in some areas. Around here, all they need to be able to do is eat small frogs.

Guess that's the benefit of living in a cold climate. No big bugs, no rats, no poisonous spiders and few poisonous snakes. Even the black widows here are not much worse than a bee sting.

Roy - Burmese Pythons? :eek: I know Florida is home to the Brazillian Wandering spider too. :eek: :eek:

pantheroc
05-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Brazillian Wandering spider too. :eek: :eek:

Whew, the temp just dropped 10* in here, my hair is standing up reading up on that thing.
http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/P-fera.html

juno
05-29-2007, 01:20 PM
In my backyard I have a good size black racer. Lives in my garden, but I can't get him to eat squirrels or cats yet. There are a bunch of short fat snakes that keep showing up, but I do not know what they are, just that they are non-poisonous. I chopped up one or two of them edging the lawn Saturday. It looked like more pieces then only one snake.

I have not seen any in my own yard but in others I have seen rattlers, coral snakes, cotton mouths, green racers (very pretty). Annoying reptiles are in an abundance down here. I have dozens of the little lizards, but the bigguns are at least 1/4 mile away. ( I live next to Jonathan Dickinson State Park, and they have a Gazillion critters)
Oh and I got stung by a scorpion at a friend's house. That hurt like the dickens. I have no mercy for those little bastages anymore.

I hate snakes, if I ever find one IN the house I will throw a torch in there on my way out the door.

sailsmen
05-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I hate cotton mouths, too many close calls.

Mad1
05-29-2007, 07:11 PM
A co-worker was sharing a story about his recent close encounter with a snake.

Setting the scene. His frontdoor is below grade of the front yard. (Not uncommon in certain parts of east Tennessee. He is not normally afraid of snakes and after taking a land navigation, GPS tracking/search & rescue management course with him, I can testify he's no stranger to the outdoors.

At his wife's urging, he went out to change the seasonal wreath on the door (He said he's wife maintains a full 12 of wreaths.) He takes down the old wreath, bangs it on the brick siding and then turns back to put the new wreath up on the door. As he adjusts it to make sure it's straight, he leans back to get a wider perspective and he sees the snake.

It has stretched out more than half its length from the brick wall and suddently it falls on him from above. The snake hits the bill of his ball cap and lands on his shoulders before sliding down his body.

So there he is ... at the bottom of the stairs, facing a closed door and covered in snake. With no option to retreat, he said his instinctive action was to stomp the snake into the ground. The poor black rat snake did not survive the encounter, but I can't say I blame him for reacting like that.

Jeremy
Mad1

Ross
05-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Found a 2 1/2 foot water moccasin in the back yard a couple of weeks ago. Killed that sucker. I don't mind the harmless snakes, and Dawn actually LOVES to play with them. Can't stand water moccasins, though.

Dr Caleb
05-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Whew, the temp just dropped 10* in here, my hair is standing up reading up on that thing.
http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/P-fera.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_wandering_spider

Yup. 'Stupid Agressive' is what I've seen them described as. I used to have a bookmark on that one too that would chill the room. Anything labelled as 'agressive' and 'deadly' that grows to 5" across would.

The link I have seems to be invalid now, but here another on a similar spider.

http://www.rochedalss.qld.edu.au/huntsman.htm

Huntsmans are pretty benign, but the Brown Recluse can be nasty!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider

Dr Caleb
05-30-2007, 01:25 PM
The snake hits the bill of his ball cap and lands on his shoulders before sliding down his body.

Promptly drowning in the large pile of feces I just created . . .

Ross
05-30-2007, 02:48 PM
That big spider looks a lot like a tarantula. I've picked up plenty of tarantulas. I'd hate to think that I was picking up one of those Brazilian spiders by mistake thinking it's a tarantula.

Hotrauder
05-30-2007, 03:00 PM
That is enough. I am creeped out now. Enough. Dennis

chapel1
05-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Gail and I ran accross this little fellow in S.C. this year, I believe he's a cottenmouth.